Stolen

Not true, you just have to know what you want to disable and if you want it to be reversable or not (cutting a wire or making a breakout connector). Fuel pump, fuel injectors and ECU's can all be interrupted for an effective anti-theft circuit, just like the old days.
This is all fine for stopping the vehicle being stolen but it doesnโ€™t stop the damage and attendant cost and disruption resulting from a failed attempt

My car was the subject of TWO attempts to steal it - the shadow imobiliser prevented the theft BUT I have had 6 months with a damaged tailgate - my insurance has gone up - I now have another now locked tailgate which will not be openable for several months as the body shop obtains the parts

When I get the car back with a new tailgate the chances are at some point another failed attempt will be made and I will be back in a Groundhog Day style loop

There are two requirements here - yes preventing the vehicle from being stolen but we also need to develop a means to stop the attempts as the damage to the vehicle is an issue in itself

Part of the answer might be manufacturers creating and promoting a theft prevention solution that causes the criminals to target another vehicle they might be able to steal
 
This is all fine for stopping the vehicle being stolen but it doesnโ€™t stop the damage and attendant cost and disruption resulting from a failed attempt

My car was the subject of TWO attempts to steal it - the shadow imobiliser prevented the theft BUT I have had 6 months with a damaged tailgate - my insurance has gone up - I now have another now locked tailgate which will not be openable for several months as the body shop obtains the parts

When I get the car back with a new tailgate the chances are at some point another failed attempt will be made and I will be back in a Groundhog Day style loop

There are two requirements here - yes preventing the vehicle from being stolen but we also need to develop a means to stop the attempts as the damage to the vehicle is an issue in itself

Part of the answer might be manufacturers creating and promoting a theft prevention solution that causes the criminals to target another vehicle they might be able to steal
It's unfortunate your vehicle has been targeted twice. I don't disagree with your point.

My post was in response to the post above it "The circuits and security design on these cars are increasingly complicated these days so it is no longer as simple as install a hidden switch to open/close the circuitry like old days."

The only solution, IMO, is for Toyota to create an encrypted CAN buss that's unique to each LC/FOB and would require a "Dealer only" electronic decoder to gain access to the encrypted CAN BUSS. Or a change in tech to a encrypted fiber optic security gap between CAN modules and the Body/security ECU.

Any system could eventually be cloned / bypassed given enough time. But in alignment with what you stated, make it so that even if you have direct access to a CAN point/wires make it near impossible to manipulate the electronic code, even if you plugged in a different preprogramed ECU. That would un-target the Toyota as an easy mark.
 
For now I have inserted a Apple Air Tag, at a location on my LC250 the thieves cant dream of thinking in such a location. BTW it is very rear car being robbed in Dubai or for that matter in UAE. The Public security is top notch.
 
Anyone here stateside install a shadow immobilizer/can-blocker? Ordered within the states?
 
Anyone here stateside install a shadow immobilizer/can-blocker? Ordered within the states?
Getting one shouldnโ€™t be a problem. It is the installation that is important. If improperly installed, it will be easily bypassed. There are some videos on YouTube about it. Choose your installation professional wisely.
 
Getting one shouldnโ€™t be a problem. It is the installation that is important. If improperly installed, it will be easily bypassed. There are some videos on YouTube about it. Choose your installation professional wisely.
Ohhh.. I think the installation 'professional' is going to be me. I don't trust the 19 year old stereo installer with a project like this.
 
I use a disklok when I travel because it is visible. and not common in North America. Thieves presumably aren't traveling with a service vehicle that can deal with all physical obstructions they might encounter.

I'm big on deterrence, which an immobilizer alone doesn't provide. I feel that most people underrate deterence for home security too.

Screenshot 2025-10-23 at 8.45.21โ€ฏAM.webp
 
I had a steering lock on during both attempts - made not a blind bit of difference - almost all vehicles have them in my area of London - do not appear to be a deterrent to the attacks on the tailgate
 
I had a steering lock on during both attempts - made not a blind bit of difference - almost all vehicles have them in my area of London - do not appear to be a deterrent to the attacks on the tailgate
If they come prepared to defeat the type of steering wheel lock you have installed it won't make a difference. The thief believing that a vehicle has an immobilizer or sophisticated tracker probably does make a difference.

I've never seen a steering wheel lock on any nice car at a hotel in the U.S. They are certainly used for street parking in cities.
 
This is my dilemma with installing something like IGLA. It wonโ€™t stop them from cutting into the vehicle if they donโ€™t know itโ€™s there, it will just keep them from driving off with it. And advertising that itโ€™s there may only make it easier for them to defeat it. The real solution is for Toyota to fix the problem so they arenโ€™t easy to steal. I feel like Iโ€™m driving a Kia now.
 
This is my dilemma with installing something like IGLA. It wonโ€™t stop them from cutting into the vehicle if they donโ€™t know itโ€™s there, it will just keep them from driving off with it. And advertising that itโ€™s there may only make it easier for them to defeat it. The real solution is for Toyota to fix the problem so they arenโ€™t easy to steal. I feel like Iโ€™m driving a Kia now.
It is a very good looking KIA tho"......... LOL
 
Security measures work best in layers. A CanBus level immobilizer doesnโ€™t announce its presence until the would-be thief goes to drive away. Combine that immobilizer with an alarm and you have advanced warning that it isnโ€™t going to be a โ€œgone in 60 secondsโ€ kind of endeavour.

For perspective, these types of thefts arenโ€™t just a Toyota thing- any vehicle with keyless entry and push to start functions are equally as exploitable by the tech thieves are using to take the vehicles. The higher the price tag and the more desirable the vehicle is for its target market as a stolen vehicle, the more thieves will want it. Risk vs. Reward. Land Cruisers have a market. There are only a few vehicles sold today which do not.
 
It is a very good looking KIA tho"......... LOL

Why yes, yes it is ๐Ÿ˜

KIA and their styling has come up in the world, especially since they poached a certain European automotive designer.

That said, their โ€œengine could grenade on any given day regardless of maintenanceโ€ image limits their market some.
 
I do the same. Fobs are always in a RFID-proof metal box when not on me. I don't think they cloned my fobs, they got it started some other way.
Toyota fobs don't need to be kept in a faraday bag. Hold the lock button while double clicking unlock. The fob's red light will blink multiple times. This disables its radio transmitter until you hit unlock again.
 
For now I have inserted a Apple Air Tag, at a location on my LC250 the thieves cant dream of thinking in such a location. BTW it is very rear car being robbed in Dubai or for that matter in UAE. The Public security is top notch.
I have an AirTag hidden in mine as well. It's in one of these cases so it won't need a battery change for several years (a decade according to the maker):


 
Thankyou. Never knew this. Worthy Upgrade
 
Security measures work best in layers. A CanBus level immobilizer doesnโ€™t announce its presence until the would-be thief goes to drive away. Combine that immobilizer with an alarm and you have advanced warning that it isnโ€™t going to be a โ€œgone in 60 secondsโ€ kind of endeavour.

For perspective, these types of thefts arenโ€™t just a Toyota thing- any vehicle with keyless entry and push to start functions are equally as exploitable by the tech thieves are using to take the vehicles. The higher the price tag and the more desirable the vehicle is for its target market as a stolen vehicle, the more thieves will want it. Risk vs. Reward. Land Cruisers have a market. There are only a few vehicles sold today which do not.
Although no one steals Tesla's because they can't hack the central computer. I expect Rivian is the same, although I've never seen stats on that vehicle. Even car jacking a Tesla is a bad idea. There's no way to turn off tracking, and the owner will open the app and cripple the vehicles speed, open the windows, turn on the flashers etc.

Toyota and other legacy manufacturers electronics are archaic.
 
Although no one steals Tesla's because they can't hack the central computer. I expect Rivian is the same, although I've never seen stats on that vehicle. Even car jacking a Tesla is a bad idea. There's no way to turn off tracking, and the owner will open the app and cripple the vehicles speed, open the windows, turn on the flashers etc.

Toyota and other legacy manufacturers electronics are archaic.

Archaic in light of how car thieves (and the tools they use) has evolved- absolutely. Things have changed very quickly and manufacturers aren't really keeping up.

Ever since car theft started to become a big problem (back in the day when a screwdriver would allow entry and starting almost anything on wheels), OEM immobilizers put a big dent in thefts for a while and stats across North America dipped. Now that the convenience features people love (keyless entry and push to start) have become practically standard equipment, people who "hack" cars have kept up, with the technology trickling down to the criminal element. Theft is a problem for a lot of popular vehicles.
 
A Tesla was stolen in my street off the owners drive - lifted onto a flat bed and away it went - on camera but still gone
 
Supporting Vendors View all โ†’
Rhino Rack
Back
Top Bottom