Stolen

Canada is pretty strict on the whole castle doctrine thing, as in there isn't any. In Canada, you'r supposed to stand back and watch your stuff get stolen because the thief is simply misunderstood and needs help not punishment. The Canadians that do own firearms (there are plenty, especially in rural areas) will be charged with assault for simply touching their firearm while they are being robbed. Heaven forbid they actually point it at the thief. And they definitely couldn't pull the trigger.

My friend's Tundra got stolen from a Toronto airport area hotel parking lot. Broke the bumper to access canbus to unlock and start it, broke a window to get inside, broke the dash to access and remove the tracker, and scratched it all up just for fun. The police do care about these crimes because there's been enough public outcry, so they did find the truck. In Vancouver. In a shipping container. About to be loaded on a ship.

His insurance company wants him to add an alarm/immobilizer, and a TAG tracking system if he wants to keep his policy.
 
Canada is pretty strict on the whole castle doctrine thing, as in there isn't any. In Canada, you'r supposed to stand back and watch your stuff get stolen because the thief is simply misunderstood and needs help not punishment. The Canadians that do own firearms (there are plenty, especially in rural areas) will be charged with assault for simply touching their firearm while they are being robbed. Heaven forbid they actually point it at the thief. And they definitely couldn't pull the trigger.

My friend's Tundra got stolen from a Toronto airport area hotel parking lot. Broke the bumper to access canbus to unlock and start it, broke a window to get inside, broke the dash to access and remove the tracker, and scratched it all up just for fun. The police do care about these crimes because there's been enough public outcry, so they did find the truck. In Vancouver. In a shipping container. About to be loaded on a ship.

His insurance company wants him to add an alarm/immobilizer, and a TAG tracking system if he wants to keep his policy.
This is completely f'ed. Honestly how do Canadians put up with this total hogwash?? What happened to the great, brave, tough as nails nation that helped us Americans storm the beaches of Normandy on D-Day?? Rolling over for criminals instead of being able to defend yourself and your property while you are in it?

Maybe Alberta really should seperate from Canada.
 
I've posted this on other threads in this forum -
From my research, Toyota UK is offering a CAN bus protection solution called the "Toyota CAN BUS Gateway Blocker," which is a hardware device designed to prevent the CAN invader theft method by isolating the ECU from the rest of the vehicle CAN network when the ignition is off. The cost quoted by a dealer for this blocker is around £325 for the part, with additional fitting fees not specified, This blocker requires installation by a Toyota main dealer and is intended to enhance vehicle security against CAN bus electronic theft attacks.

This solution has been rolling out since around 2023, mostly for models pre-2022 that are vulnerable, and it is available through Toyota UK's service network. It seems from limited information that it also is fitted to the Land Cruiser. Maybe it's time to start putting pressure on Toyota-North America for this since there is clearly a problem and Toyota UK (& maybe elsewhere is addressing the issue). The other bigger question is since Toyota knows how to block this type of theft, why isn't it automatically installed at the factory? Presumably cost but my insurance premium increase, as one of the most stolen vehicles would far outweigh this cost.

I'm currently using a heavy duty steering wheel lock for SUVs - and other security at home but investigating other measures that can be layered on to what I've done

Of interest is the recent thefts in Japan - yet Toyota seems deaf to the problem


PositionModelThefts In H1 2025Thefts In H1 2024
1Toyota Land Cruiser765590
2Toyota Prius289287
3Toyota Alphard191303
4Lexus RX14180
5Lexus LX120112
6Toyota Crown Series10744
7Toyota Hiace9760
8Lexus LS5544
9Toyota Harrier5017
10Suzuki Carry4344
 
Just an update for everyone. It took about 3 weeks for me to actually get my LC back, even though it was located about 10 hours after the theft. Insurance delays, parts delays, transport delays, etc. I'm still waiting on one part. They damaged the ECU for the backup camera. I don't know if this was part of hacking the computer system to start the vehicle or what. I'm driving it now without the backup camera and as soon as the ECU arrives I have an appointment to get an IGLA immobilizer installed. For now I just have a steering wheel lock.
 
I've posted this on other threads in this forum -
From my research, Toyota UK is offering a CAN bus protection solution called the "Toyota CAN BUS Gateway Blocker," which is a hardware device designed to prevent the CAN invader theft method by isolating the ECU from the rest of the vehicle CAN network when the ignition is off. The cost quoted by a dealer for this blocker is around £325 for the part, with additional fitting fees not specified, This blocker requires installation by a Toyota main dealer and is intended to enhance vehicle security against CAN bus electronic theft attacks.

This solution has been rolling out since around 2023, mostly for models pre-2022 that are vulnerable, and it is available through Toyota UK's service network. It seems from limited information that it also is fitted to the Land Cruiser. Maybe it's time to start putting pressure on Toyota-North America for this since there is clearly a problem and Toyota UK (& maybe elsewhere is addressing the issue). The other bigger question is since Toyota knows how to block this type of theft, why isn't it automatically installed at the factory? Presumably cost but my insurance premium increase, as one of the most stolen vehicles would far outweigh this cost.

I'm currently using a heavy duty steering wheel lock for SUVs - and other security at home but investigating other measures that can be layered on to what I've done

Of interest is the recent thefts in Japan - yet Toyota seems deaf to the problem


PositionModelThefts In H1 2025Thefts In H1 2024
1Toyota Land Cruiser765590
2Toyota Prius289287
3Toyota Alphard191303
4Lexus RX14180
5Lexus LX120112
6Toyota Crown Series10744
7Toyota Hiace9760
8Lexus LS5544
9Toyota Harrier5017
10Suzuki Carry4344
Toyota has already encrypted CAN bus communications on almost all of their vehicles since 2023. I know that because I have been watch all the effort hacking their encryptions. So LC definitely doesn’t need addition CAN bus protection and you don’t need to break their CAN bus encryption to gain access of the vehicle neither
 
Seems Toyota hasn't solved the problem with current production 250s & other Toyotas


The 2024 & 2025 Toyota Land Cruiser 250 series is being targeted and successfully stolen using CAN Bus (Controller Area Network) injection attacks, similar to other late-model Toyota Land Cruisers and related SUVs. Reports and videos from 2025 explicitly describe a “theft epidemic” afflicting the Land Cruiser 250, 300, and 200 series, noting that CAN injection is the primary technique now used in large cities. Car forums and owner anecdotes from Canada, Australia, and Europe confirm a rapid rise in attacks, sometimes within just days of new vehicles being delivered.
The 2025 Land Cruiser 250 and related Toyota models are still vulnerable to CAN Bus attacks and are experiencing a significant uptick in thefts using this method.
 
...I have an appointment to get an IGLA immobilizer installed. For now I just have a steering wheel lock.
Are you in Calgary? if so where are you getting the IGLA installed?

Our LC was broken into two weeks ago. I interrupted the perp as he was halfway into the back seat after breaking the passenger window. He escaped to the getaway car down the street. It was a week's wait from the replacement window from Cali, and we get the LC back tomorrow. Considering my options. I was surprised the broken rear window did not set off an alarm. My 2003 Cayenne would shriek if you locked the car with a dog inside due to its motion detector.
 
Are you in Calgary? if so where are you getting the IGLA installed?

Our LC was broken into two weeks ago. I interrupted the perp as he was halfway into the back seat after breaking the passenger window. He escaped to the getaway car down the street. It was a week's wait from the replacement window from Cali, and we get the LC back tomorrow. Considering my options. I was surprised the broken rear window did not set off an alarm. My 2003 Cayenne would shriek if you locked the car with a dog inside due to its motion detector.
I'm in Lethbridge but it's being installed in Calgary as there are no authorized installers down here. I'm getting mine done at Wright Restyling. Mine was the same M.O. They broke the rear passenger side window.
 
I'm in Lethbridge but it's being installed in Calgary as there are no authorized installers down here. I'm getting mine done at Wright Restyling. Mine was the same M.O. They broke the rear passenger side window.
Thanks thats where my research was sending me as well. I am going to talk to my insurance company tomorrow and confirm how it affects my insurance. Good luck with it!
 
Thanks thats where my research was sending me as well. I am going to talk to my insurance company tomorrow and confirm how it affects my insurance. Good luck with it!
Thanks. I haven't even told my insurance company I'm installing it yet. My experience with insurance has been less than stellar. It's covered, but the general handling of the claim and lack of communication has been horrendous.
 
My insurer - Toyota Insurance - mandated an additional shadow immobiliser as a condition of offering cover - it saved by LC when some scrote tried to steal it
 
My insurer - Toyota Insurance - mandated an additional shadow immobiliser as a condition of offering cover - it saved by LC when some scrote tried to steal it
I want to install one too. Any suggestion?

The circuits and security design on these cars are increasingly complicated these days so it is no longer as simple as install a hidden switch to open/close the circuitry like old days.
 
Message me and I can put you in touch with the electrician who is working with the main outfits and fits for the main dealers - he’s a good guy - I used Baros and the system is Ampire

Others are Gnost and Shadow
 
Ahaha - I’m UK so installer no use but the manufacturers I list are the main players
 
Thanks. I haven't even told my insurance company I'm installing it yet. My experience with insurance has been less than stellar. It's covered, but the general handling of the claim and lack of communication has been horrendous.
@DJW

1-please can you share which insurance this help us Canadians when renewing or selecting the insurance provider

2- did you have any additional security installed by your dealer or third party prior to the theft ex: KYCS, TAG, IGLA…etc?
 
@DJW

1-please can you share which insurance this help us Canadians when renewing or selecting the insurance provider

2- did you have any additional security installed by your dealer or third party prior to the theft ex: KYCS, TAG, IGLA…etc?
1. Intact
2. No other security installed
 
I want to install one too. Any suggestion?

The circuits and security design on these cars are increasingly complicated these days so it is no longer as simple as install a hidden switch to open/close the circuitry like old days.
Not true, you just have to know what you want to disable and if you want it to be reversable or not (cutting a wire or making a breakout connector). Fuel pump, fuel injectors and ECU's can all be interrupted for an effective anti-theft circuit, just like the old days.
 
So a couple days ago a neighbor let me know a suspicious car drove up to my Land Cruiser and a guy in a hoodie jumped out and was looking at the back -- she thought they were trying to steal my plates. Luckily she scared them off. I couldn't find that they'd actually done anything, but now that I read that CAN injection attacks on 250's are done by cutting into the back door, I wonder if they were setting up to do that? I had a bike rack folded up on the back, they probably would've had to figure out how to fold that down first. Maybe we should all be installing bike racks as security devices? :ROFLMAO: I think I'll look into IGLA now. And park in the garage.
 
The rear hatch is just one of multiple access points (modules on the network) to allow a thief to connect to the CanBus. If I was a betting man, I'd say most are going to gravitate to the OBDII port from inside the vehicle as it is less conspicuous.
 
Supporting Vendors View all →
Canvasback
Back
Top Bottom