JBL Stereo

kibitz503

📛 Founding Member
May 17, 2024
oregon
Vehicles
2024 Sequoia 2024 Land Cruiser. 2020 Sprinter
One thing no one else has mentioned is that the JBL stereo in the FE is actually pretty good. Not as good as a 5k+ aftermarket setup but much better than stock stereos from a decade ago.

Decent sound clarity. Bass isn’t too boomy. Plays a good range of music. 7/10 from me.

Good thing too I don’t want any electrical hassles on the warranty with how much tech is in this thing.

I know sound is subjective but for me it’s like this. 1-10 with 10 being that mythical perfect sound and well beyond any reasonable cost/value sweet spot.

2018 4Runner stock 4.5/10
2024 Sequoia stock with a 12 speaker JBL 6.5/10
2024 FE JBL 7/10

My typical aftermarket head unit, a 5 channel amp, shallow mount sub and mid range speakers all around is usually about a 8/10. (3-5k range)

Really appreciate the review. Been wondering how the JBL sounds in the new LC. I'd give a similar rating for the JBL in my son's "23 Tacoma". Maybe even 8/10...

Really appreciate the review. Been wondering how the JBL sounds in the new LC. I'd give a similar rating for the JBL in my son's "23 Tacoma". Maybe even 8/10...
Nice. I may be unfairly scaling. 3-8 are pretty linear in the sense that if you add more money it will sound better. I think anything past an 8.5 to be hitting an exponential price curve. Likely not worth it in a vehicle with road, wind and tire noise.

On my same internal scale anything over a 6 would not be worth replacing. It probably would not sound any better while driving.

Yep, agree with that idea. Spent a fortune trying to improve the base sound in my Bronco only to fall short of the stock JBL in the Tacoma. Everytime I listen to the Bronco I'm sickened at the idea of ever going back down the sound upgrade rabbit hole.

$4600 upgrade for the premium package is steep however, and other than the stereo everything else you get with that package isn't of value to me. Now wondering how lackluster the base 10 speaker is in the non premium LC and could I live with it. Was ready to pull the trigger on a non premium LC trim last week but passed on it over the weekend. I'm waiting til I can log a test drive and make a final assesement on the powertrain etc. Might wait til 25 at this point.

The sound system is very important to me. I record live concerts and got to test out the sound system with the one in the show room. I was very impressed. The sales manager was with me and said he liked a couple of reggae artists. I put on a performance from a reggae festival and he was blown away how it sounded. I was pleased too. For a "stock" stereo I will be very happy.

The sound system is very important to me. I record live concerts and got to test out the sound system with the one in the show room. I was very impressed. The sales manager was with me and said he liked a couple of reggae artists. I put on a performance from a reggae festival and he was blown away how it sounded. I was pleased too. For a "stock" stereo I will be very happy.
100% agree.

We had to lemon law an Odyssey after the electronics in the new model had endless problems. If we would have installed and aftermarket radio they would have told us to get lost. (They tried to eleven with the warranty.)

With how complicated car’s electronics are I no longer have an appetite for voided electronics warranties.

I can’t handle a bad sounding stereo though!

JBL “premium” system in my previous RAV4 hybrid limited was underwhelming to say the least. The Bose systems in my CRVs are much better. Glad to hear the LC system is really good. A Good sound system is fairly important to me.

Back