Changing 12v Battery

The land cruiser does not have a charging profile to support a deep cycle agm. Many people are using them anyways or using supplemental charging to keep them topped off. If that's worth it to you or want to take on the downsides of not fully charging a deep cycle agm that's a personal decision.

Standard replacement non-deep cycle agm batteries that don't require higher float charging should be fine. You need to look at the specs of the battery.
Thank you. I've never had issues, even with leaving it open all day to have the tint done and when replacing speakers, and I short trip the heck out of the LC. I do toss it on a Noco every month or two. It's a shame people have battery issues.

I wanted to file it away, in case I do.
 
Picked up the Everstart Platinum this afternoon. DNA manufacture, South Korea. $187 + $12 core fee. (4) Year free replacement. I have no problem with a Korean battery, they have a very good reputation.
 
Last edited:
I replaced my OEM with a Duracell brand (group 47/H5) from Sam's Club, $139. More CCA than the OEM. I thought it'd be a simple swap but WTF was Toyota thinking with that clamp bar contraption? What the actual fuck?! Way more cursing than I expected

IMG_8572.webp
 
Given the off road target demographic the Land Cruiser (and siblings) are marketed to, it isn’t inconceivable that a Land Cruiser could end up on its side or on its roof in the wrong hands. A battery surrounded by metal retained securely in place could be seen as a plus 🤔

The silver lining is that the tiny battery will likely be already partially discharged in such an event, mitigating chance of serious flames 🤣
 
I replaced my OEM with a Duracell brand (group 47/H5) from Sam's Club, $139. More CCA than the OEM. I thought it'd be a simple swap but WTF was Toyota thinking with that clamp bar contraption? What the actual fuck?! Way more cursing than I expected

View attachment 58934
Yes, it's a huge hassle, had to remove all of it for the winch install.
 
If that happens....... what my dealer found out........ the LC lets you try "X" amount of times before it locks you out. They had to try as many times as it took with the wrong PIN to zero the counter, did a factory reset and dropped my LC from my TOYOTA app. After that the infotainment screen came up with the screen for the bar code (like it was new off the lot). I had to go in and add it to my TOYOTA app as if I'd just purchased it and this time I put in a PIN that I could remember and I recorded it to my phone. PITA but now I can disconnect the 12v battery and input my easy to remember PIN.

I think you are able to change your PIN before you disconnect the 12v battery.
This seems like the best thing to do. Just change the PIN before disconnecting to be safe.
 
To trickle charge (2 amps) the OEM 12v battery using the under-hood fuse box charging/jump start terminal on a 2025 LC 1958 is it necessary to disconnect the negative battery terminal?
 
To trickle charge (2 amps) the OEM 12v battery using the under-hood fuse box charging/jump start terminal on a 2025 LC 1958 is it necessary to disconnect the negative battery terminal?
If you do that, the trickle charger, or any other charger for that matter, will not recharge the battery.

Just hook the pos lead to the jumper point and the neg lead to any bare metal body bolt.
 
I keep one of these hot shot type items. They can help in a pinch...

There are many... Bought this one years ago. Helped out one time.
 

Attachments

  • bat bu.webp
    bat bu.webp
    151 KB · Views: 188
If you do that, the trickle charger, or any other charger for that matter, will not recharge the battery.

Just hook the pos lead to the jumper point and the neg lead to any bare metal body bolt.
You are absolutely correct! I wasn't thinking clearly when I made the post knowing full well that the fuse box positive terminal and ground point are connected to the 12v battery and disconnecting the battery negative terminal breaks the circuit. At my age the brain farts are very common! I also keep a jump starter in the truck.
 
I just replaced the OEM battery with a AGM Braille H6 and added the Ancel BM200 battery monitor. The monitor has a app to check the status of the battery that's bluetooth connected. The old battery died when I was setting up the new owner profile. I charged it back up and just decided to upgrade.
tempImagePMqU0d.webp
 
You are absolutely correct! I wasn't thinking clearly when I made the post knowing full well that the fuse box positive terminal and ground point are connected to the 12v battery and disconnecting the battery negative terminal breaks the circuit. At my age the brain farts are very common! I also keep a jump starter in the truck.
I know right! After having my battery go flat too many times to count, installed a truckle charger electrical cord pass through......


That along with many other mods are available on my build site (link : 🛠️ Member Build - Eod Guy's Ride).
 
I just replaced the OEM battery with a AGM Braille H6 and added the Ancel BM200 battery monitor. The monitor has an app to check the status of the battery that's bluetooth connected. The old battery died when I was setting up the new owner profile. I charged it back up and just decided to upgrade.View attachment 59167
Welcome to the asylum.
 
I know right! After having my battery go flat too many times to count, installed a truckle charger electrical cord pass through......


That along with many other mods are available on my build site (link : 🛠️ Member Build - Eod Guy's Ride).
Sorry I don't recall seeing in your thread, or maybe I just forgot, but what is the measured output of your solar charger? Trying to see how much of your battery issue is solved with the Optima vs the solar charger
 
Supporting Vendors View all →
Canvasback
Back
Top Bottom