Transmission Overheating - anyone else?

If you use low range in a situation like this you will take a lot of load off the torque converter which is responsible for the increase in transmission oil temps your talking about. If you only drive in a low speed for extended periods in hilly county low range is your friend.
Using 4LO on a regular paved road such as Highway 243 to Idylwild, CA would be extremely unsafe.
 
1753840715042.webp


Climbed up a fairly easy grade northbound near Dunsmuir, CA towards Shasta.
 
There are two sensors, you have to have the correct PID to read the second TC sensor. It can be done with the Scan gauge, I don't remember the correct PID but it is the same as other Toyota models IIRC just don't remember which one.
PID??? 🤔
 
Android or iOS app? The first CarScaner app that pops up in the iOS store doesn't appear to be CarPlay compatible.
The iOS app is compatible with Toyota CarPlay (for some reason on my sold Jeep it did not show, but it does on both of our new Toyotas)
 
PID = Parameter ID for making connections via OBDII port. If you have the correct PID you can connect and view anything that is available on the port, a device such as the scan gauge II and III you can enter that information into them to display features that aren't pre-programmed into the device at time of purchase.
 
PID = Parameter ID for making connections via OBDII port. If you have the correct PID you can connect and view anything that is available on the port, a device such as the scan gauge II and III you can enter that information into them to display features that aren't pre-programmed into the device at time of purchase.
Thank you!
 
UPDATE:
Went to one of our local trails in San Diego near Ramona,CA (Black Mountain Trail) with a 2023 Tacoma and 2020 4runner. Easy trail with few small rocks, 7.5 miles long, about 1500ft elevation. All of them in 4x2 and I just locked the center diff. By the time we were at the top mine was 256F and theirs were under 220F.
Submitted a case with Toyota Brand Engagement and they were not very nice at all. Very dismissal of the problem and even reffered to page 228 in the manual. She just told me that she would contact my local dealer and have them take a look at it, but if they can't replecate the problem they will not be able to help me, so I guess they do not care about the data that is stored in the ECM or maybe as others have stated they do not have access to it. You can see on the screeshot how the temp creeped up all the way to 250+F. Then turned off vehicle at the top to walk my dog and chat with the other Toyota guys. Then on the down hill it cooled down.
I wonder why Toyota is not able to read this data and say: "250F on a brand new tranny on an easy trail is not normal". We'll see. Went to see a Bronco Badlands Satchsquash this weekend...very tempting!!!! But I really want to keep the LC (much better built vehicle and is a Toyota), but at times I feel that this tranny thing is going to be a big problem down the road.
IMG_5278.webp
Very dissapointment
 
UPDATE:
Went to one of our local trails in San Diego near Ramona,CA (Black Mountain Trail) with a 2023 Tacoma and 2020 4runner. Easy trail with few small rocks, 7.5 miles long, about 1500ft elevation. All of them in 4x2 and I just locked the center diff. By the time we were at the top mine was 256F and theirs were under 220F.
Submitted a case with Toyota Brand Engagement and they were not very nice at all. Very dismissal of the problem and even reffered to page 228 in the manual. She just told me that she would contact my local dealer and have them take a look at it, but if they can't replecate the problem they will not be able to help me, so I guess they do not care about the data that is stored in the ECM or maybe as others have stated they do not have access to it. You can see on the screeshot how the temp creeped up all the way to 250+F. Then turned off vehicle at the top to walk my dog and chat with the other Toyota guys. Then on the down hill it cooled down.
I wonder why Toyota is not able to read this data and say: "250F on a brand new tranny on an easy trail is not normal". We'll see. Went to see a Bronco Badlands Satchsquash this weekend...very tempting!!!! But I really want to keep the LC (much better built vehicle and is a Toyota), but at times I feel that this tranny thing is going to be a big problem down the road.
View attachment 44376 Very dissapointment
What did the dash gauge read? Were you in low-range? Were you in manual gear select mode?
 
3/4 of the way on the gauge. Just locked the center diff as all the others were on 4x2 (just like I did when I owned my Jeep 2 months ago). No manual.
Last time I did this trail, I used the manual mode and shifted between 1st 2nd and it went up to 235F. But since the other Toyotas with bigger tires were doing it all in Drive and 4x2, I figured I would try it like a normal car.
 
Last edited:
3/4 of the way on the gauge. Just locked the center diff as all the others were on 4x2 (just like I did when I owned my Jeep 2 months ago). No manual.
Last time I did this trail, I used the manual mode and shifted between 1st 2nd and it went up to 135F. But since the other Toyotas with bigger tires were doing it all in Drive and 4x2, I figured I would try it like a normal car.
While I think these new transmissions are designed to run a little hotter than the prior generation (hence gauge reading ok), it seems like the gear hunting in automatic mode is part of the problem. Perhaps the price we have to pay for lots of gears and good on-road behaviour compared to the older cars.
 
While I think these new transmissions are designed to run a little hotter than the prior generation (hence gauge reading ok), it seems like the gear hunting in automatic mode is part of the problem. Perhaps the price we have to pay for lots of gears and good on-road behaviour compared to the older cars.
Agree. But, my last Jeep was also 8 speed and was hybrid (4xe) and never had problems with tranny temps, had other issues, but never the tranny.
 
Agree. But, my last Jeep was also 8 speed and was hybrid (4xe) and never had problems with tranny temps, had other issues, but never the tranny.
Is it really an issue of it is below the warning level set on the tranny?
 
Is it really an issue of it is below the warning level set on the tranny?
In my opinion, no, but it doesn’t inspire confidence that it wouldn’t hit the warning on a continued climb. For that reason, I will be sticking with manual mode.
 
Is it really an issue of it is below the warning level set on the tranny?
I'm more worried the accelerated degradation of the ATF due to transmission high temps.
Mine on very hot days (117F) on the highway doing 90mph transmission temperatures sit at around the 195F mark.
 
I'm more worried the accelerated degradation of the ATF due to transmission high temps.
Mine on very hot days (117F) on the highway doing 90mph transmission temperatures sit at around the 195F mark.
Aren’t we supposed to flush (or is it drain and fill) the tranny at 60,000 miles?
 
Aren’t we supposed to flush (or is it drain and fill) the tranny at 60,000 miles?
User manual calls for inspection of ATF only with no set change interval, here the dealer changes the ATF at 80K/km or 50K/miles.
 
PID = Parameter ID for making connections via OBDII port. If you have the correct PID you can connect and view anything that is available on the port, a device such as the scan gauge II and III you can enter that information into them to display features that aren't pre-programmed into the device at time of purchase.
Where would I get PID’s from?
 
There are quite a few listed on Scan gauge website for Toyota.
 
Supporting Vendors View all →
Canvasback
Back
Top Bottom