Transmission Overheating - anyone else?

Took it up and over Rowher today in Ca. Thanks to the lovely folks here I knew about moving to 4 Low quickly.

This trail is a “black diamond” whatever that means. The trail climbs over 5 miles from 2,000 to 2,750 ft. During this the trans temp stayed in the middle. Then another 2.5 miles in 4Lo it goes from 2,750 to 4,825. That got the temps as high as 224f and the oil 217f. Outside temps 75-85f.

Going down 4Hi or 4Lo was a non issue. Temps stayed in the middle.

Surprisingly stopping to a bit on the side of a hill during the climb did little to bring down the trans temp.
Snow skiing term (never heard it used on off-road trails)

Double black diamond = Expert only
Black Diamond = Most difficult/expert level
Blue = Moderate difficulty/Intermediate level
Green = Easy/beginner level
 
did some lift off roading this weekend around Big Sur. probably 20-30miles, fire roads 20mph, some crawling, 2-3 sections probably a quarter-mile long of terrain resembling 3-4 scale difficulty. 4 lo the entire way, transmission temp definitely reached 2/3 of the way to the top but no warnings

kinda crazy to see how capable the vehicle is, but how crappy the transmission is 🥲
 
did some lift off roading this weekend around Big Sur. probably 20-30miles, fire roads 20mph, some crawling, 2-3 sections probably a quarter-mile long of terrain resembling 3-4 scale difficulty. 4 lo the entire way, transmission temp definitely reached 2/3 of the way to the top but no warnings

kinda crazy to see how capable the vehicle is, but how crappy the transmission is 🥲
Yep, 4 lo doesn't help much on long trails. It just delays the issue from coming up in my experience. Member here installed a transmission cooler, not sure if that's going to help but with the amount of transmission failures these have had I'm not looking to create an out for Toyota to deny the replacement.
 
that’ll probably void warranty. honestly I’ll probably rock the LC for another year or two then just trade for GX. I like the LC better but I’ve been scanning those forums and most of their issues seem purely cosmetic (who cares about hood flutter lol)
 
that’ll probably void warranty. honestly I’ll probably rock the LC for another year or two then just trade for GX. I like the LC better but I’ve been scanning those forums and most of their issues seem purely cosmetic (who cares about hood flutter lol)
I wouldn’t touch the V35A-FTS with a ten-foot pole.
 
Your trans is cooled by lines running to and thru your radiator like most vehicles. Is it possible you have a kink in links or something unrelated to the tranny??
Rocky roads can do some strange things !
 
When off roading here in the AZ desert I do monitor my transmission temps. It's not uncommon to see high transmission temps, especially on steep trails at low speed in temperatures that range from 110F - 120F here. i feel that compared to previous vehicles the Land Cruiser transmission temps are higher, and overheating can occur easily. These are extreme conditions here in the AZ desert and I have not experienced excessive transmission temps in cooler weather.

Toyota should consider better cooling options to extend the life of the transmission. Out here, with moderate off roading I tend to have my fluid exchanged every 25000 miles to help with extending the life of the transmission. I do the transfer case and differentials at 50,000 miles for the same reason.

-Curtiss
 
Supporting Vendors View all →
M&R Automotive
Back
Top Bottom