Eco / Normal / Sport here’s my take

New LC owner here, and 95% city driving is my routine.

My question relates to Sport mode specifically. Throttle response aside, I have noticed Sport mode seems to use more electric power when starting from a complete stop, and when hill climbing.

That said, would it be plausible to assume Sport Mode is actually a more fuel efficient mode, as the electric motor is assisting more than in other modes?

If you look at the displayed fuel consumption, I think you will find Sport Mode increasing consumption compared to Normal or Eco in a relatively short period comparing each mode. In the Land Cruiser, the electric motor is designed to augment the power band more than anything focused on economy, though under certain conditions you can indeed run off the traction battery.
 
Is there a sustainable set of conditions where the traction battery is most utilized for fuel efficiency?

It depends on terrain and the amount you press the accelerator.

If you are in stop & go traffic on flat ground, feathering the accelerator can cause the vehicle to run off the traction battery for extended periods. If you get up to speed and are feathering the accelerator to maintain speed on level ground or downhill grades, you can again get the vehicle to run off the traction battery. Up grade, the engine will run the majority of the time. If conditions demand engine braking, the engine will run.

Look up "pulse driving technique" if you want to utilize the traction battery more than simply driving normally will provide.


This is discussed here on the forum as well.
 
The Car Care Nut did a video on ‘pulse and glide’ in Toyota hybrids.
 
New LC owner here, and 95% city driving is my routine.

My question relates to Sport mode specifically. Throttle response aside, I have noticed Sport mode seems to use more electric power when starting from a complete stop, and when hill climbing.

That said, would it be plausible to assume Sport Mode is actually a more fuel efficient mode, as the electric motor is assisting more than in other modes?
In my experience, the primary reason why Sport mode is NOT more fuel efficient is because it favors lower gears, higher RPMs, and later shift points...this is likely most notable when cruising longer distances at highway speeds, e.g. if it's favoring 6th gear over using overdrive (7th or 8th gear), but probably a factor at just about any driving condition.

Ultimately, the hybrid motor in these vehicles is intended to provide additional power and performance, with a fairly nominal effect on actual fuel economy...any potential fuel savings earned by engaging the electric motor slightly more frequently in Sport mode is likely negated and/or surpassed by effect of the more aggressive behavior of the automatic transmission.

Eco mode, in contrast, can also be less fuel efficient if you're constantly trying to over-compensate for it by applying more pressure to the gas pedal (based on threads I've read here and elsewhere).

Personally, I find that using normal mode and non-aggressive driving habits are optimal the vast majority of the time as far as fuel economy is concerned...as that mode provides reasonable balance of efficiency and power when you actually need it, without making the vehicle feel neutered. Sport mode is fun when you're looking for a more responsive driving experience, but I tend to use it somewhat sparingly and definitely never on the highway if I'm going over 60 mph, as I find the returns are diminished at that point.
 
I'm realizing that I agree with this strategy as I put more miles on my new LC. For me, turning off Sport Mode on the highway was huge. The vehicle was able to shift into overdrive, and cruised much more smoothly.
 
In other cars I've had, sport mode was always either "fun mode" or incredibly useful for quick merges (dead stop getting into cross traffic, or for on ramps, or quick negotiating traffic in general). In the LC, there is no fun in it (just feels like further setting money on fire for no result) and it is totally useless for the quick merge options because if I leave it on, it burns too much fuel to be useful the 90% of the time it is not needed as a quick reaction thing, is not "fun", and around town is too jerky - so is (for me) not really a safe option in traffic - and then if I instead want to just use it as needed, the path to get to it is stupidly long vs "push one button" and extremely easy to accidentally end up in the wrong (and much worse) setting.

When I first got it, I spent about a month in eco mode, then a month in normal, and then a month in sport.
For me, eco mode is totally useless (normal is better everything in experience, including mpg - so no idea wtf eco mode is for other than just feeling like the car is old or asleep), sport mode is wasteful for no net positive result (for me), so I just spend my time in normal.

Would LOVE if sport mode could just be on/off with a single button directly to it, vs the absolutely stupid rotational thing with menus.

Not a knock on the car - just for how I have always used sport mode in cars (admittedly, more of them were literal sports cars), is clearly not how the LC was designed to be used. Arguably purely a Me problem than an LC thing.
 
Some one needs to go to a track and test 0-60 in eco, norm and sport modes. My guess is Eco limits boost etc and of course will be slower. Norm and sport will be with .1 of each other as both modes will allow max boost and hold gears till upshift mandated at redline. that "lunge" caused by the first inch of travel in pedal means nothing after .1sec......
 
In other cars I've had, sport mode was always either "fun mode" or incredibly useful for quick merges (dead stop getting into cross traffic, or for on ramps, or quick negotiating traffic in general). In the LC, there is no fun in it (just feels like further setting money on fire for no result) and it is totally useless for the quick merge options because if I leave it on, it burns too much fuel to be useful the 90% of the time it is not needed as a quick reaction thing, is not "fun", and around town is too jerky - so is (for me) not really a safe option in traffic - and then if I instead want to just use it as needed, the path to get to it is stupidly long vs "push one button" and extremely easy to accidentally end up in the wrong (and much worse) setting.

When I first got it, I spent about a month in eco mode, then a month in normal, and then a month in sport.
For me, eco mode is totally useless (normal is better everything in experience, including mpg - so no idea wtf eco mode is for other than just feeling like the car is old or asleep), sport mode is wasteful for no net positive result (for me), so I just spend my time in normal.

Would LOVE if sport mode could just be on/off with a single button directly to it, vs the absolutely stupid rotational thing with menus.

Not a knock on the car - just for how I have always used sport mode in cars (admittedly, more of them were literal sports cars), is clearly not how the LC was designed to be used. Arguably purely a Me problem than an LC thing.
Curious how do you turn on Sport mode in most other cars? The turn of a knob is quicker than doing it on our Mini and much easier than finding the correct button on our previous BMW.
 
Agrred new BMWs are a nightmare to get set up for a novice on track. Total overkill PIA. Ultimate stupidity
 
Nice having options for performance...
3 modes to choose from is cool. Sometimes Eco is a little sluggish on get up and g..
 
Bit different experience.
I find Sport to make highway steering control feel better, & provides much better shift points on accel & decel. Our highway driving patterns Sport gets better fuel mileage mostly because the tranny feels sharper that it is where it needs to be for the speed, weight & grade, versus normal & eco modes. If ours isn’t in Sport it feels lazy & late for rolling hills. Not talking urban city driving or freeway. Occasionally I have to ‘make it’ go into 8th gear on the highway to get it below 2000 rpm by switching to manual & up shifting. Eco helps mpg in stop n go, until you need to go. Drive in Sport for a day & then switch to eco & you’ll feel the dramatic throttle lag & lazy shifts, & those 2nd & 3rd gear drive aways from stops lights, etc. drive ne bonkers. Practice I follow on Tundra hybrid & LC is to maximize use of the battery & while in Sport & try to stay out of boost on the gauges. On the LC Premium there are plenty of IP options to get battery/boost gauges up so you are always fully aware. 80mph is where we cross the line on mpg for our LC. Stay below it & you’ll walk all around 20MPG on the road, cross above 80 & boost comes up on every grade & mpg falls. Real mpg killer is eco & cruise control. Highway I drive in sport & don’t use adaptive cruise.
 
On the LC Premium there are plenty of IP options to get battery/boost gauges up so you are always fully aware.
I know it's been discussed elsewhere, but were you able to get the battery and boost gauges to show at the same on a '25? I think that's only available on '26 and newer.
 
I haven’t used sport mode yet…
You're missing out! Sport is great for merging into fast traffic from short on-ramps, and overtaking on 2-lanes with limited room. It's worth trying for sure. I dont leave it in sport, used only when needed.
 
I know it's been discussed elsewhere, but were you able to get the battery and boost gauges to show at the same on a '25? I think that's only available on '26 and newer.
Ours is 2026 LC Premium.
 
Asked Claude to explain LC250 drive modes as the owners manual really never deeply explains everything that coordinates.

One rumor was the suspension supposedly changes by mode - I can confirm on my 26 Premium there are no electrical connections to my front struts or rear shocks like we had in our GX460 (J150) Luxury. That 460 had AVS & it was horrible, & very expensive to replace.

IMG_1647.webp


IMG_1648.webp
 
Asked Claude to explain LC250 drive modes as the owners manual really never deeply explains everything that coordinates.

One rumor was the suspension supposedly changes by mode - I can confirm on my 26 Premium there are no electrical connections to my front struts or rear shocks like we had in our GX460 (J150) Luxury. That 460 had AVS & it was horrible, & very expensive to replace.

View attachment 73974

View attachment 73975
Looks like most of that info comes from this forum. We should be getting royalties.
 
Bit different experience.
I find Sport to make highway steering control feel better, & provides much better shift points on accel & decel. Our highway driving patterns Sport gets better fuel mileage mostly because the tranny feels sharper that it is where it needs to be for the speed, weight & grade, versus normal & eco modes. If ours isn’t in Sport it feels lazy & late for rolling hills. Not talking urban city driving or freeway. Occasionally I have to ‘make it’ go into 8th gear on the highway to get it below 2000 rpm by switching to manual & up shifting. Eco helps mpg in stop n go, until you need to go. Drive in Sport for a day & then switch to eco & you’ll feel the dramatic throttle lag & lazy shifts, & those 2nd & 3rd gear drive aways from stops lights, etc. drive ne bonkers. Practice I follow on Tundra hybrid & LC is to maximize use of the battery & while in Sport & try to stay out of boost on the gauges. On the LC Premium there are plenty of IP options to get battery/boost gauges up so you are always fully aware. 80mph is where we cross the line on mpg for our LC. Stay below it & you’ll walk all around 20MPG on the road, cross above 80 & boost comes up on every grade & mpg falls. Real mpg killer is eco & cruise control. Highway I drive in sport & don’t use adaptive cruise.
Very interesting and opposite of what I have been thinking. I have barely driven in Sport but will give this a try.
 
Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top Bottom