Possibly trading my wife's 2024 w/16k

We traded my wife’s RAV4 Hybrid on our Land Cruiser because I could not let my 2012 Tundra go:. I love driving the LC Premium but much complaints from her. My suggestion go with a RAV4 Hybrid, that was our third one for her and she loves them and you will get greater than twice the MPG.
PawPaw
 
We traded my wife’s RAV4 Hybrid on our Land Cruiser because I could not let my 2012 Tundra go:. I love driving the LC Premium but much complaints from her. My suggestion go with a RAV4 Hybrid, that was our third one for her and she loves them and you will get greater than twice the MPG.
PawPaw
We have rav4 hybrid (woodlands) too, great car, excellent trd ride, and silly gas mileage. Wait 'till she realizes that the rav can fit taller objects in the trunk!
 
Last edited:
We traded my wife’s RAV4 Hybrid on our Land Cruiser because I could not let my 2012 Tundra go:. I love driving the LC Premium but much complaints from her. My suggestion go with a RAV4 Hybrid, that was our third one for her and she loves them and you will get greater than twice the MPG.
PawPaw
Welcome to the asylum.

Go Dawgs!
 
My wife mentioned the other day that she is considering trading her 2024 LC LC Premium in... She is considering going to a 2026 Camry XSE Premium Plus for a couple of reasons...
  1. We have over $32k equity in the LC so we could basically pay cash for a new Camry
  2. We recently had a new grandbaby that lives 1.25 hour drive away and she plans to go see them at least once per week
  3. She suffers from arthritis and she wants something easy to get in/out of
We have discussed the pros and cons of going to the Camry, but wanted other's input on things we may be missing...

Pros:
  1. Get rid of the monthly payment
    1. Have a brand new car with no payments, we've never done that before
  2. More than double the gas mileage
  3. Retain most of the creature comforts
  4. Long Term Maintenance Costs will be much lower (ie. no 4x4 system)
    1. She never leaves the pavement anyway
  5. Much easier to make tight turns, parking, etc.
Cons:
  1. Trading a highly desired vehicle for a common, mass produced vehicle
  2. Camry will lose value quickly versus the LC keeping a higher percentage of value
  3. Sits lower on the road, so visibility in traffic isn't as good.
  4. Lose towing capacity (but let's face it, she'll never let me use it for that anyway)
    1. I have a Grand Highlander with 3,500lb towing capacity that works fine for our needs
  5. Lose a few premium features that we likely don't use anyway like the cool box
  6. Not as good quality ride
Even AI tells me we are crazy to trade it, and I definitely don't want her to get 6 months down the road and regret trading it for the sake of gas mileage...

Thoughts? Suggestions? Feedback?
I have six Land Cruisers in the driveway(different models) with the newest purchase 15 months ago with a 2025 premium package. I am probably not the one to ask! Lol
 
I have six Land Cruisers in the driveway(different models) with the newest purchase 15 months ago with a 2025 premium package. I am probably not the one to ask! Lol
Admitting you have a problem, is the first step to recovery… 🤣
 
I’m wish washy on my LC… I like looking at it and love it for sure and driving is…… better than just ok… barely! I see what EVERY FNing “true” LC lover is taking about when they state their opinion about 4cyl with electric motor (I call it that cuz my MPG’s suck) wanting V8 motor! I thought about selling it (because I don’t drive it much) but, dealers suck! $62,000 is the “AVERAGE” quote. I get it they want to make money too! So, I kept it….. unfortunately, there is nothing NEW that interests me! I thought about getting a cheap small new truck like a Tacoma just to drive one day a week or small errands but, the back seats suck! I even looked at Ford Mavericks…. I know I know… don’t kick me off the group😬. Just for the low ass price and MPG… but, I always come back to loving my LC! It’s not the best vehicle out there but, it’s right for me for now!
 
My wife mentioned the other day that she is considering trading her 2024 LC LC Premium in... She is considering going to a 2026 Camry XSE Premium Plus for a couple of reasons...
  1. We have over $32k equity in the LC so we could basically pay cash for a new Camry
  2. We recently had a new grandbaby that lives 1.25 hour drive away and she plans to go see them at least once per week
  3. She suffers from arthritis and she wants something easy to get in/out of
We have discussed the pros and cons of going to the Camry, but wanted other's input on things we may be missing...

Pros:
  1. Get rid of the monthly payment
    1. Have a brand new car with no payments, we've never done that before
  2. More than double the gas mileage
  3. Retain most of the creature comforts
  4. Long Term Maintenance Costs will be much lower (ie. no 4x4 system)
    1. She never leaves the pavement anyway
  5. Much easier to make tight turns, parking, etc.
Cons:
  1. Trading a highly desired vehicle for a common, mass produced vehicle
  2. Camry will lose value quickly versus the LC keeping a higher percentage of value
  3. Sits lower on the road, so visibility in traffic isn't as good.
  4. Lose towing capacity (but let's face it, she'll never let me use it for that anyway)
    1. I have a Grand Highlander with 3,500lb towing capacity that works fine for our needs
  5. Lose a few premium features that we likely don't use anyway like the cool box
  6. Not as good quality ride
Even AI tells me we are crazy to trade it, and I definitely don't want her to get 6 months down the road and regret trading it for the sake of gas mileage...

Thoughts? Suggestions? Feedback?
I have a 2025 LC 1958. A real eye catcher. But safety and health comes first. You and your wife might have remorse for the loss of your LC, but all the pros you gave are worthwhile considering. We live in a not so perfect world, and we always experience ups and downs. Do your best for your wife. I think She will be better with a RAV 4 XLE Premium.
 
I’m wish washy on my LC… I like looking at it and love it for sure and driving is…… better than just ok… barely! I see what EVERY FNing “true” LC lover is taking about when they state their opinion about 4cyl with electric motor (I call it that cuz my MPG’s suck) wanting V8 motor! I thought about selling it (because I don’t drive it much) but, dealers suck! $62,000 is the “AVERAGE” quote. I get it they want to make money too! So, I kept it….. unfortunately, there is nothing NEW that interests me! I thought about getting a cheap small new truck like a Tacoma just to drive one day a week or small errands but, the back seats suck! I even looked at Ford Mavericks…. I know I know… don’t kick me off the group😬. Just for the low ass price and MPG… but, I always come back to loving my LC! It’s not the best vehicle out there but, it’s right for me for now!
You are like the vast majority of Land Cruiser owners. We are all car enthusiasts and always looking for other vehicles. No matter how many cars we own, we are always looking.
However, we always go back to the fact a Land Cruiser is hard to beat.
 
You are like the vast majority of Land Cruiser owners. We are all car enthusiasts and always looking for other vehicles. No matter how many cars we own, we are always looking.
However, we always go back to the fact a Land Cruiser is hard to beat.
Exactly!!!
 
I have a 2025 LC 1958. A real eye catcher. But safety and health comes first. You and your wife might have remorse for the loss of your LC, but all the pros you gave are worthwhile considering. We live in a not so perfect world, and we always experience ups and downs. Do your best for your wife. I think She will be better with a RAV 4 XLE Premium.

We ended up putting money down on a Rav4 XSE b/c she preferred the sporty look over the XLE... Still not 100% sure we are going to do the deal though...
 
I'm ancient (84), but still a tech person, and the 2026 RAV4 has TSS 4.0, a major leap forward, and more safety aids than even 3.0. However, the RAV4, even the Limited, is not nearly as plush and quiet as the Crown Signia. However, it appears the RAV4 does not offer running boards, a necessity for the wife with our present 2021 Highlander. Lucky for me, the LC has running boards and a good A-pillar handgrip, both on the passenger and driver side. Decisions, decisions... :(
There are several after market running boards for the Rav4
 
Do it! It's just a vehicle. Get rid of the debt. Quit wasting money on interest and extra insurance (and gas!). You will have extra money for the grandbaby. The financial freedom is worth it!
 
Do it! It's just a vehicle. Get rid of the debt. Quit wasting money on interest and extra insurance (and gas!). You will have extra money for the grandbaby. The financial freedom is worth it!

My feelings exactly, but I like my wife to be happy... It's a delicate balance... ;)
 
My feelings exactly, but I like my wife to be happy... It's a delicate balance... ;)
Don’t make your wife too happy. She may never leave….
 
I’m around 18 months in on mine and still very much like it. If it were stolen or totaled I would probably buy another.

I bought it for what it is and had a fair understanding of the compromises coming in. It’s a personality car. It’s not silky smooth on the highway like my wife’s GLC300, but the clunkiness is part of the charm. The absence of a V8 engine is not about this car - AFAIK no new Toyota is available with a V8 engine. Sign of the times. The 4 cylinder is a bit rough but I can live with it. It has plenty of power for daily driving. I have a fast car too if I want to zoom around.

I still have not found the source of one or more clicking noises somewhere in the area above where the passenger sits. It drives me crazy and I have stuffed foam above the headliner everywhere I could and used about half a roll of felt tape. What I think is happening is that Toyota put a lot of double faced tape on top of the headliner to stick it to the roof; it’s not sticking but the tape is tacky, touches the roof steel, and pulls off making the sound I hear. I’ve done everything except removing the headliner completely to cover all the tape. That might be on the summertime agenda.

Oh, and I still say the MMI software is about 10 years out of date. Every rental car I get has better software and so did the 2016 Tahoe I had before. But such is Toyota.

These are all minor nits. Overall the LC is a fun car that I enjoy driving around.
 
Last edited:
She'll figure out what she likes, but....I went from a sporty car to a toyota camry and I have never felt so blah in my entire life. I sold it after four months. She'll be focused on the grand baby though and cars won't matter as much as that sweet bundle. All the best.
 
What did you and your wife decide to do? I hope that you can find a care that is easier for her to use.

We traded the LC for a 2026 Rav4 XSE. :) Gave up a few features, gained a few as well.
 
Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top Bottom