LandCruiser LC + options vs. FE: LC works out to $6k less?

b407driver

📛 Founding Member
Jun 7, 2024
Colorado
Vehicles
2016 4Runner TPP KDSS (waiting...)
Trying to figure out what I'm missing here, but if I go to Toyota's website and configure an 'LC' version to have all the possible options that the FE has as standard, the price of the LC comes out $6k cheaper. So far the only differences I've read about that can't be added are the FE mudflaps (dubious 'upgrade', anyway), and some amount of FE badging on the interior. OK, different color wheels, I don't care.

Basically the build I'm looking at is Premium, plus upgraded roof rack, sliders, skid plate, but I'm not seeing where the $6k difference comes in. It can't possibly be just in the limited edition name, can it?

I do not understand the appeal of the FE, for the reason you wonder about in your post. I suppose if you really wanted all the goodies + round headlights, or just to have one as a “collector’s item” maybe. But otherwise it’s hard to see the value.

Have been through the same drill, and agreed, one is paying dearly for the "First Edition". A moot point for me, as the owner of the dealership grabbed the only FE they will probably be getting. Besides, I wish running boards, not the recessed rock sliders. Also something strange, his FE was built in the Hino facility, not Tahara, the latter being the higher rated of the two, and where all the GX550 will be produced.

I went back and forth and settled on the FE due to not wanting to mess with the hassle of trying to swap the headlights. Good chance I will switch out the roofrack at some point for a full roof rack so that's another data point against getting the FE. I didn't want 20" rims and the FE comes with 18's. By the time you do the math of replacing the square headlights with the round, the hassle factor, the fact that I want to hold onto this as I hope it will be the first in a collection of other Land Cruisers. I really want an old FJ40 at some point. It's the convenience tax and impatient tax that the first edition owners are paying. The badging is kind of cool to have. You get beefier skid plates as well and the leather covers for the keys. Someone else stated the FE keys are slightly different and they say Land Cruiser on them. My math came out to around $2-$3K difference if you wanted to upgrade the headlights down the road to the round which I would have.

I think for me my original reasoning was also that I was willing to pay extra to get it earlier (i've already bought a full length roof rack to further reduce the reasoning), so it's laughable now that us waiting for FE's will get the "last edition"...

in Canada the FE doesn't get a console coolbox, but I have one in my current LC and never use it. I have a fridge in the back.

I think the additional fe badging is pretty cool, i was originally set on one but decided 3 things:

• I don’t need rock rails (have young kids) so would swap those out for running boards
  • don’t need roof rack, would prefer roof rails
  • I like the rectangle lights look better

So at the end of the day, I didn’t want to pay up for fe and then have to pay more to swap to running boards. The other stuff I could have lived with, but didn’t necessarily want/need.

Personally I do think the FE stitching on the doors is pretty cool. Maybe gets old down the road but I thought it was a nice touch

I think the additional fe badging is pretty cool, i was originally set on one but decided 3 things:

• I don’t need rock rails (have young kids) so would swap those out for running boards
  • don’t need roof rack, would prefer roof rails
  • I like the rectangle lights look better

So at the end of the day, I didn’t want to pay up for fe and then have to pay more to swap to running boards. The other stuff I could have lived with, but didn’t necessarily want/need.

Personally I do think the FE stitching on the doors is pretty cool. Maybe gets old down the road but I thought it was a nice touch
I'm neutral re the lights, but definitely agree re the rock rails and roof rack. I would be a bit concerned the roof rack might be an issue with car washes.

I bought the LC loaded with options because of the priority I put on mocha seats, which are only available on that edition.

For me it was getting it earlier, no 20" wheels or square headlights. I would prefer not to have a sun roof, roof rack or rock sliders. I will most likely be removing the roof rack and replacing the siders with retractable running boards.

For me it was getting it earlier, no 20" wheels or square headlights. I would prefer not to have a sun roof, roof rack or rock sliders. I will most likely be removing the roof rack and replacing the siders with retractable running boards.
Have any retractable running boards become available? I queried AMP, but they have been unresponsive.

Are you speaking of the Java? If so, agreed.
Agree, strange choice for them to not at least give the option to choose on the highest trim level. I do think the black/gray looks good. I just am tired of dark interiors.

Would love a Java interior but they are hard to come by here in socal and I think I’ve found of the only msrp dealers around & they don’t have an LC trim with Java interior.

Would love a Java interior but they are hard to come by here in socal and I think I’ve found of the only msrp dealers around & they don’t have an LC trim with Java interior.
Not a dealbreaker, but will certainly be a disappointment. With Toyota, what you see is what you get. Will probably also get stuck with 20" wheels.

I took one look at the First Edition pricing and what it included then did a build and price on the LC trim and it will be an easy choice to skip the First Edition.

Plus I don't like the round single projector headlights anyway, the rectangular LC trim lights with the triple projectors will probably perform better optically, they look better, and they don't slavishly copy every other retro off roader like the Defender, Jeep Wrangler, and Bronco.

I work on call 24/7 and drive at night a lot, in fact probably the majority of my miles are on rural two lane highways at night in an area with a healthy population of deer and elk. Because of this headlight performance is very important to me.

Trying to figure out what I'm missing here, but if I go to Toyota's website and configure an 'LC' version to have all the possible options that the FE has as standard, the price of the LC comes out $6k cheaper. So far the only differences I've read about that can't be added are the FE mudflaps (dubious 'upgrade', anyway), and some amount of FE badging on the interior. OK, different color wheels, I don't care.

Basically the build I'm looking at is Premium, plus upgraded roof rack, sliders, skid plate, but I'm not seeing where the $6k difference comes in. It can't possibly be just in the limited edition name, can it?
Hi in the UK they have given us no choice Toyota did send a bulletin to the Dealerships with an option of what they call an Invincible £5000 cheaper comes with all the same as the FE except the round headlights and badging etc but then withdrew it at the last minute meaning we have no choice but to have the FE at £80k !!!!!! and the allocation works out roughly to one and a half cars per Dealership !!! if you divert it if you know hat i mean i,ve ordered an FE in Heritage blue

Regards Dave UK

Hi in the UK they have given us no choice Toyota did send a bulletin to the Dealerships with an option of what they call an Invincible £5000 cheaper comes with all the same as the FE except the round headlights and badging etc but then withdrew it at the last minute meaning we have no choice but to have the FE at £80k !!!!!! and the allocation works out roughly to one and a half cars per Dealership !!! if you divert it if you know hat i mean i,ve ordered an FE in Heritage blue

Regards Dave UK
That should say divide

Have any retractable running boards become available? I queried AMP, but they have been unresponsive.
Not yet, having installed a couple of them....... I'm very confident I can modify/adapt a set for a Tacoma or 4 runner. I'm just waiting for mine so I can compare lengths.

From what I can tell our local car wash will trash the FE's roof rack with ease. Car washes are a winter necessity in NW MT just to get the road grime removed and to get underbody spray to remove MgCL road salt. Not for me. What was Toyota thinking? Overland use only?

Not a dealbreaker, but will certainly be a disappointment. With Toyota, what you see is what you get. Will probably also get stuck with 20" wheels.
What's the deal with 20" wheels? Why would anyone want them? Improved on road performance? With lower side walls they are a hindrance when traveling on 2 track USFS roads.

Back