Land Cruiser 250 Maintenance Map - Input welcome

Now at version 1.5 (just above), hopefully worked out some bugs and people have had a chance to give input. Probably will change just a bit with further input, but I appreciate all the kind words... just hoping to make what can seem a bit confusing, a little clearer.
 
Now at version 1.5 (just above), hopefully worked out some bugs and people have had a chance to give input. Probably will change just a bit with further input, but I appreciate all the kind words... just hoping to make what can seem a bit confusing, a little clearer.
Greatly appreciated your dedication to our forum. Super helpful and now become my maintenance “guidelines”

Happy 250th America Birthday
Put more love to your LCs 😜
 
I just hit 40,000 miles and am replacing the plugs today. My 58 is into it's 3rd year now and most of my driving split between mostly Suburbia driving with a couple of 500 mile r/t's every month. I do my own oil 5k changes and the requisite air/cabin/hybrid battery filter changes as per maint manual guidelines. I have not done anything with the transmission, propellor drive shafts, nor the transfer case/front differential, since I do not tow, carry anything heavy nor drive on dirt or dusty roads.
I am curious as to what others are doing as far as maintenance for a somewhat daily driver (I'm retired)?
TIA
Rick
 
I just hit 40,000 miles and am replacing the plugs today. My 58 is into it's 3rd year now and most of my driving split between mostly Suburbia driving with a couple of 500 mile r/t's every month. I do my own oil 5k changes and the requisite air/cabin/hybrid battery filter changes as per maint manual guidelines. I have not done anything with the transmission, propellor drive shafts, nor the transfer case/front differential, since I do not tow, carry anything heavy nor drive on dirt or dusty roads.
I am curious as to what others are doing as far as maintenance for a somewhat daily driver (I'm retired)?
TIA
Rick
I would definitely grease the propeller shafts. I do mine every other oil change. Also the front differential, it doesn’t hold much oil and because of the full time 4wd I believe it is always turning. IMHO those 2 things would need more attention than the spark plugs.
 
DctrEvil - Thanks again for putting the chart in form.
Realized that there is no mention of a fuel filter change in our owners manual. Dug deeper & found out there is not a replaceable filter - which seems strange on a FI/DI gasoline engine in a vehicle designed to go off road. Toyota says no need for one with LC having a lifetime screen on the bottom of the in-tank fuel pump. Was just getting over finding out there is no alternator, and now discover no fuel filter. Seems crazy w/ various quality of fuels.

Post in thread 'Fuel filter change'
Fuel filter change
 
Does anyone know when we are supposed to change the OEM shocks?

Is a drain and fill adequate for changing the engine on other coolant?
 
Does anyone know when we are supposed to change the OEM shocks?
Immediately upon purchase, dumb question

Is a drain and fill adequate for changing the engine on other coolant?
No, you have to run the engine up to 70mph for 30 minutes, or 50 for an hour immediately prior to any coolants. For engine oil you have to pre-torque the drain plug to 150 lb-ft to disintegrate the outgoing crush washer. Then you torque to 149 lb-ft when reinstalling. Best to start threading the drain plug back in at a 45 degree angle to break in the bottom three threads. Another simple answer to a dumb question. Jeez, just use the search function already!

🙃
 
Immediately upon purchase, dumb question


No, you have to run the engine up to 70mph for 30 minutes, or 50 for an hour immediately prior to any coolants. For engine oil you have to pre-torque the drain plug to 150 lb-ft to disintegrate the outgoing crush washer. Then you torque to 149 lb-ft when reinstalling. Best to start threading the drain plug back in at a 45 degree angle to break in the bottom three threads. Another simple answer to a dumb question. Jeez, just use the search function already!

🙃
PUI?

Saved for all time..
 
PUI?

Saved for all time..
Lol, sorry man, that other thread has me off kilter and ready to sarcastically engage everything.

Especially when I think I’m in one thread, but I’m actually in another. And then the joke falls flat, but I was tending to a pork butt and didn’t catch my mistake until it was seen. And so, here lies my evidence of failure to pay attention to what the heck I’m doing.

P.S. I may need to find the I in PUI now
 
Lol, sorry man, that other thread has me off kilter and ready to sarcastically engage everything.
So I’ve noticed 🤭. I’ve seen it building in you for a while. . backing away from the keyboard helps.

TCCN recommended 60k on one of his videos. Eleven years ago, many of the guys of the USA ford transit forum recommended 50-60,000 mile shock replacement. They said their big vans felt more ‘planted’. Now, I am noticing that MIss Daisy seems to have less ‘fine dampening’ at 41,000 miles. I would have NO clue what that was if it weren’t for my four prior BMW motorcycles. Two of the four bikes (1200’s) got custom shocks (Ohlins and Wilburs) at about 20,000 miles (?). There was a night and day difference from OEM. I really want to keep Miss Daisy as comfortable as I can.

Deep breath in. Hold. Release..
 
Lol, sorry man, that other thread has me off kilter and ready to sarcastically engage everything.

Especially when I think I’m in one thread, but I’m actually in another. And then the joke falls flat, but I was tending to a pork butt and didn’t catch my mistake until it was seen. And so, here lies my evidence of failure to pay attention to what the heck I’m doing.

P.S. I may need to find the I in PUI now
You worry too much..
 
So I’ve noticed 🤭. I’ve seen it building in you for a while. . backing away from the keyboard helps.

TCCN recommended 60k on one of his videos. Eleven years ago, many of the guys of the USA ford transit forum recommended 50-60,000 mile shock replacement. They said their big vans felt more ‘planted’. Now, I am noticing that MIss Daisy seems to have less ‘fine dampening’ at 41,000 miles. I would have NO clue what that was if it weren’t for my four prior BMW motorcycles. Two of the four bikes (1200’s) got custom shocks (Ohlins and Wilburs) at about 20,000 miles (?). There was a night and day difference from OEM. I really want to keep Miss Daisy as comfortable as I can.

Deep breath in. Hold. Release..
We’re good, the fact that I’m not deleting my whoops is proof enough. I’ve been a bigger a$$ on accident before now. I’ll do it again haha.

41,000 seems ridiculously premature for shock deterioration. I’ve run 4Rs and Tacos out to 100k on single sets before.
 
@ultane in the recesses of your mind you know you want a suspension upgrade. Of course you don’t need it at 40k miles, you want it! Give in, @Matthew@LC250Mods is awaiting you with open arms to welcome you to the dark side. 😆
 
@ultane in the recesses of your mind you know you want a suspension upgrade. Of course you don’t need it at 40k miles, you want it! Give in, @Matthew@LC250Mods is awaiting you with open arms to welcome you to the dark side. 😆
Everyone (3) bitched about the harsh ride on 2026 Premiums so your ‘seasoned’ struts are probably worth a fortune to those owners now….
I just made a new retail opportunity for Matthew@LC250mods selling vintage parts…

Never mind, I forgot they (3) probably went & sold their LC for more than they paid for it - & we’re still acting like victims.
 
first service 4.2k KM.. oil and filter and inspection.. they also put grease for the drive shaft and told me that us part of first service.. this is done in israel for a parallel import Hybrid.. they said its recommended they do that for land cruiser so maybe you can add this to the plan
 
Great info, thanks! Just curious...I likely will sell/trade my 2026 LC somewhere around 6 yrs/60K miles. How would this affect maintenance recommendations? I'm guessing maybe something closer to Toyota's more lax recommendations?
 
Supporting Vendors View all →
M&R Automotive
Back
Top Bottom