J250 Wind Noise, Upgrading to the GX 550's acoustic front door glass (yes, you can!)

Any idea what the decibel difference is?
i didn't do a before and after, but the side mirror wind noise that you start hearing at 45MPH is completely gone. you will of course hear wind noise at 65+, but it is a major improvement and was worth it for me
 
i didn't do a before and after, but the side mirror wind noise that you start hearing at 45MPH is completely gone. you will of course hear wind noise at 65+, but it is a major improvement and was worth it for me
Is the wind noise at 65+ from the side mirrors still, or just general wind noise?
 
Hey guys appreciate the tip on the clips. After getting them installed and examining how they operate, they make mechanical sense as to why they cut down on the noise as reported on numerous occasions. It's essentially a wedge, forcing the glass against the inner door seal, preventing rattles, wind noise and general looseness of the window pane in the closed position.

Probably not needed, but I did add a small strip of 1mm 3M trim tape so it never has a chance of coming loose or sliding up or down. You'll see that the bottom of the clip has a recess which allows for the tape.

I used a trim tool so I wouldn't butcher it on install, pressing on the inner edge until it locked into place.

One more tip. These are adjustable. Make sure that the pane actually makes contact with the wedge so it's pressed against the seal. Bending it further in increases the wedge's force against the glass, but don't over do it that the glass no longer slides into the seal channel. My passenger side clip initially didn't make contact with the glass. Easy adjustment post-install.

I probably made that sound more technical than it needed to be, but it isn't.

My wife's old E90 had these. 20 years later I finally know what they're for, haha.

1788479096774.webp

1788479113092.webp

1788479126563.webp
 
Last edited:
Hey guys appreciate the tip on the clips. After getting them installed and examining how they operate, they make mechanical sense as to why they cut down on the noise as reported on numerous occasions. It's essentially a wedge, forcing the glass against the inner door seal, preventing rattles, wind noise and general looseness of the window pane in the closed position.

Probably not needed, but I did add a small strip of 1mm 3M trim tape so it never has a chance of coming loose or sliding up or down. You'll see that the bottom of the clip has a recess which allows for the tape.

I used a trim tool so I wouldn't butcher it on install, pressing on the inner edge until it locked into place.

One more tip. These are adjustable. Make sure that the pane actually makes contact with the wedge so it's pressed against the seal. Bending it further in increases the wedge's force against the glass, but don't over do it that the glass no longer slides into the seal channel. My passenger side clip initially didn't make contact with the glass. Easy adjustment post-install.

I probably made that sound more technical than it needed to be, but it isn't.

My wife's old E90 had these. 20 years later I finally know what they're for, haha.

View attachment 75227
View attachment 75228
View attachment 75229
What is your view of the noise reduction?
 
Supporting Vendors View all →
Rhino Rack
Back
Top Bottom