Has anyone used snow chains?

I’m from California. Among the MANY forms we signed during the sale was a form that confirmed that we are aware that as equipped, chains should not be used, but that other traction devices may work, and to check the manual. Of course, the manual does not discuss any alternate options, but confirms that my stock 165/80-18R Michelins should not use chains (as was shown in an earlier post in this thread).

Worth a mention... the person processing the paperwork (a finance guy, not sales or service tech) said something offhand like “this one says you can’t use chains, only cables”. I remember specifically he mentioned cables. But again, the manual doesn’t address cables or non-chain traction devices at all.

We travel to the Tahoe area multiple times a year, and yes, sometimes CHP requires chains/cables “or 4wd with snow tires”. In my experience, the CHP often waves anyone through with 4wd or AWD without confirming the "snow tire" part. But I have seen cars turned away, and I've been told once that I needed to pull over and put my chains on when driving an AWD RAV4 with "three-peak" mild-AT tires that were not true snow tires. I've never seen chains required on ALL vehicles, but I'm not living up there full-time. They most likely shut down the freeways before they get to that point. I agree with the posters commenting that my concern is more about icy conditions (especially on hills) than it is about basic snow capability.

All of that said, I don't entirely understand what the main concern is by Toyota. Our 2018 RAV has no restriction for chains (we have used them several times on that car with no issues), but that car definitely has LESS clearance space around the tires than the LC250 with the stock Michelins. We also have a 2024 RAV Prime that DOES have a chains restriction, but it has a much tighter wheel well so that made sense. But again, the LC250 has lots of space to spare in the wheel well comparitively.

Also, cables don't offer THAT much of a difference from chains in terms of clearance. Maybe a quarter inch? Half inch max. I guess Toyota is just trying to avoid liability and playing it safe, and I'm not looking to go against their recommendations without a good reason.

So here's my takeaway (you do you): I'm going to purchase a pair of snow cables and only use them if CHP says I must, or it gets icy enough that I really don't trust my non-snow-rated stock Michelins. My next set of tires will be three-peak-rated true AT tires and I'll still keep the cables on hand just in case.
My three-peak-rated true AT tires did me well last winter. I have a pair of socks as well. I decided not to put them on and plow through I80 without them. The LC did great! Def a good idea to invest in them. I have the Bridgestone Dueler Ascent A/T - love them.
 
My road gets that icy I say f it, pull out my 4wd Kubota with Tryggs (look them up) on the rear only and go pulling my neighbors out of the ditch...did just that last 12/27.......
 
Hello ladies and gentlemen!

I’m curious as to if anyone has used snow chains on their LC yet and did you run into any installation/general issues? I plan on heading up to Tahoe sometime later this year. While I don’t expect to need chains. I definitely want to be prepared. Looking into getting a set of König XG-12 Pro 266 for my BFG KO3s. Looking forward to hearing about your experience. TYIA
Why would you put chains on a LC, I drive from Sacramento to Tahoe to go skiing. The LC is a heavy vehicle and it’s all wheel drive. There is absolutely no need for chains in the snow on any highway. I’ve driven over the hill in almost white out conditions without any issues. If you are concerned buy snow tires.
If you see a sign that says you MUST have snow chains, turn around!
 
Why would you put chains on a LC, I drive from Sacramento to Tahoe to go skiing. The LC is a heavy vehicle and it’s all wheel drive. There is absolutely no need for chains in the snow on any highway. I’ve driven over the hill in almost white out conditions without any issues. If you are concerned buy snow tires.
If you see a sign that says you MUST have snow chains, turn around!
Or just use chains.
 
Or just use chains.
If you need to use chains on an all wheel drive vehicle, you shouldn’t be there! Toyota builds the best all wheel drive vehicles in the world. If you need chairs, you should stay home. The road is not safe to be on…
 
I’d be more worried about getting taken out by other drivers going through I80 if they’re requiring chains on 4WD vehicles… Pretty sure they usually close the highway before it gets to that point because there are too many crashes.
 
Supporting Vendors View all →
M&R Automotive
Back
Top Bottom