Firearms, Hunting, Shooting Sports

Got the .22 Creedmoor barrel a few weeks ago, and tested factory Hornady ammo of the 69gr ELD-VT and 80gr ELD-M flavors. Both producing 5 to 10 shot groups right at 1” at 100 yards from the new Bartlein M24 contour 1:8” twist 5R finished to 26”. Velocity was pretty much spot on what Hornady claims, which is unusual, factory ammo usually disappoints when tested with a chronograph. The accuracy of this ammo is consistent with reports I have read on SnipersHide, and I expect it will improve with hand loading.

Function was OK, the .22 Creedmoor has a shorter overall length than a 6.5mm Creedmoor or a .308 Winchester. My Accuracy International AT action feeds from double column Arctic Warfare (AW) magazines. This presents a challenge for some rounds as they hit the feed ramp on either side and sometimes don’t enter the chamber and instead jam projectile first into the breech face of the barrel. Interestingly the factory all copper 65gr Hornady CX are loaded 0.060” longer and don’t experience this issue with the nose of the bullet always entering the chamber.

I have loaded some test cartridges 0.060” longer with 69gr ELD-VT’s and they test cycle perfectly as well.

IMG_1416.webp
IMG_1415.webp


Forgive the lower shot I made a sight adjustment and ran the next 9 rounds.

IMG_1414.webp
 
Barrel change is very easy.

Presto-change-o!

IMG_1391.webp
IMG_1395.webp


While at the range I changed barrels to the original equipment Wintac (Bartlein blank) AI 6.5mm Creedmoor barrel to test 147gr ELD-M with Winchester StaBALL 6.5 powder.

Got some weird looks, I don’t think people are used to seeing a barrel change on a bolt action rifle at a bench on the range.

Zeroed the scope turrets and shot this:
IMG_1408.webp
IMG_1417.webp


Wasn’t expecting that nice of a result with a ball powder. Need to back off the load though, it wasn’t listed max but it was over max velocity in the manual. SD’s were single digit. Hard bolt lift and primers looked like crap. That said if dropping back 1gr gets me the same accuracy and low SD’s with appropriate pressure levels, I am going to run this combo till the barrel burns out.
 
I also had a test run of the same bullet, case, primer, and seating depth using Vihta Vouri N555. No pressure signs and similar results with lower velocity. N555 has to be trickled to finish weight, and the ball powder is faster to load. Either way 147gr ELD-M at that seating depth hammers out of that barrel!

IMG_1320.webp
image_cropper_75BF05F9-AE1D-459A-95B5-CE786807DAB7-46021-000016C5C907D7BB.webp
 
I never did get into turkey hunting.

I could kill one in my front yard any given day if it were legal, and those feathered rats deserve it for eating all the grass seed I put down last fall.

South Dakota lets you hunt them with rifles, pistols, and of course shotguns. Archery as well.

We will see if I draw an elk tag this fall. Probably not. The wait will continue.

I’ll put in for antelope as well. Probably skipping deer season since I don’t like eating them.
 
I never did get into turkey hunting.

I could kill one in my front yard any given day if it were legal, and those feathered rats deserve it for eating all the grass seed I put down last fall.

South Dakota lets you hunt them with rifles, pistols, and of course shotguns. Archery as well.

We will see if I draw an elk tag this fall. Probably not. The wait will continue.

I’ll put in for antelope as well. Probably skipping deer season since I don’t like eating them.
I have hammered a bunch of them in SD but eastern turkeys don’t behave anything like Merriam’s. Good luck with elk draw ! That’s my favorite animal in N Am.

I have killed two mulies in SD over 190. It’s a great hunting state.
 
I have hammered a bunch of them in SD but eastern turkeys don’t behave anything like Merriam’s. Good luck with elk draw ! That’s my favorite animal in N Am.

I have killed two mulies in SD over 190. It’s a great hunting state.

It’s going to be a tough year due to our ongoing drought. I don’t know what the state plans for tag numbers, but forage for critters is not looking good in western SD.

Agreed these turkeys are not at all like turkeys where I grew up in the Ozarks. These clowns seem to have little fear of people. I wonder if a sneaky fleet footed younger man could actually close with one and club it with a ball bat. Probably could with some of these dumb birds in town. LOL.
 
It’s going to be a tough year due to our ongoing drought. I don’t know what the state plans for tag numbers, but forage for critters is not looking good in western SD.

Agreed these turkeys are not at all like turkeys where I grew up in the Ozarks. These clowns seem to have little fear of people. I wonder if a sneaky fleet footed younger man could actually close with one and club it with a ball bat. Probably could with some of these dumb birds in town. LOL.
Hope the drought breaks or the tags are reduced. Tough on critters. I know a guy who snatched up a gobbler by the leg once. The thing beat the crap out of him with its wings.
 
Hope the drought breaks or the tags are reduced. Tough on critters. I know a guy who snatched up a gobbler by the leg once. The thing beat the crap out of him with its wings.

LOL. How much booze was involved in that decision making process?
 
Reminds me of a story my dad was told from one of the ER docs (my dad ran a microbiology lab at a hospital) about some genius who was deer hunting from a tree stand with an SKS that was equipped with a bayonet. A buck walked right under the stand so bubba decided to try and bayonet his way to a filled out tag.

It didn’t go well, that deer kicked and gored the shit out of him before it ran off and died. So numb-nuts got to go to the ER and also got to collect a citation from the game warden because it turns out spearing/bayoneting deer was not a legal means of taking.
 
Reminds me of a story my dad was told from one of the ER docs (my dad ran a microbiology lab at a hospital) about some genius who was deer hunting from a tree stand with an SKS that was equipped with a bayonet. A buck walked right under the stand so bubba decided to try and bayonet his way to a filled out tag.

It didn’t go well, that deer kicked and gored the shit out of him before it ran off and died. So numb-nuts got to go to the ER and also got to collect a citation from the game warden because it turns out spearing/bayoneting deer was not a legal means of taking.
That’s a good story …moron !!🤣😂
 
Hillbillies gonna hillbilly.

Probably alcohol involved in that decision making process too.
 
I also had a test run of the same bullet, case, primer, and seating depth using Vihta Vouri N555. No pressure signs and similar results with lower velocity. N555 has to be trickled to finish weight, and the ball powder is faster to load. Either way 147gr ELD-M at that seating depth hammers out of that barrel!

View attachment 66821View attachment 66822
Dang, those are some tight groups for 100 yards... Some Expert Marksman shooting. Well done !
 
Dang, those are some tight groups for 100 yards... Some Expert Marksman shooting. Well done !

I’m shooting a very very accurate system off of a decent bench rest and a rear bag. I’m still very much the limiting factor in performance.

The Accuracy International AT-X is an obnoxiously expensive rifle, no bones about it. For the money you do get a platform that is easy to shoot well, and has the mechanical precision to wring out the best from quality ammunition. AI uses only cut rifled barrels in the US supplied by Wintac who gets blanks from Bartlein or Proof Research. Some of the imported barrels are Lothar Walther, again super high quality.

Triggers are adjustable two stage units, nice smooth first stage with a discernible and repeatable second stage wall that breaks the shot at will. I’m a big proponent of two stage triggers, you get the forgiveness and safety of a heavier trigger with discernible travel with the ability to break the shot with what feels like a set trigger.

The stock is fully adjustable so you can get the rifle fit to you, there is no fighting with the cheek weld trying to get centered up with the optic or being able to run the bolt or reach controls.

All of it adds up to a very very shootable package. Albeit a heavy one designed to issue to in shape PT studs in a sniper platoon in an infantry battalion or similar organization.

A reasonably competent shooter can get on it, make some quick stock adjustments for their comfort and shoot groups like I am getting. I know this to be a fact because I have a buddy who has been fighting with a SIG Cross that obstinately refuses to shoot anything particularly well. He thought it was him, so we switched rifles. It was a nice confidence booster for him to shoot a stupid tiny little group at 100, and then go play on the steel range and get hits out to 870 without any issues once a good wind call was established.

Good news his basic rifle marksmanship fundamentals are still solid (we are both Marine vets), bad news his SIG Cross is a turd. I’d turn that barrel into a fence post if it was mine.
 
I’m shooting a very very accurate system off of a decent bench rest and a rear bag. I’m still very much the limiting factor in performance.

The Accuracy International AT-X is an obnoxiously expensive rifle, no bones about it. For the money you do get a platform that is easy to shoot well, and has the mechanical precision to wring out the best from quality ammunition. AI uses only cut rifled barrels in the US supplied by Wintac who gets blanks from Bartlein or Proof Research. Some of the imported barrels are Lothar Walther, again super high quality.

Triggers are adjustable two stage units, nice smooth first stage with a discernible and repeatable second stage wall that breaks the shot at will. I’m a big proponent of two stage triggers, you get the forgiveness and safety of a heavier trigger with discernible travel with the ability to break the shot with what feels like a set trigger.

The stock is fully adjustable so you can get the rifle fit to you, there is no fighting with the cheek weld trying to get centered up with the optic or being able to run the bolt or reach controls.

All of it adds up to a very very shootable package. Albeit a heavy one designed to issue to in shape PT studs in a sniper platoon in an infantry battalion or similar organization.

A reasonably competent shooter can get on it, make some quick stock adjustments for their comfort and shoot groups like I am getting. I know this to be a fact because I have a buddy who has been fighting with a SIG Cross that obstinately refuses to shoot anything particularly well. He thought it was him, so we switched rifles. It was a nice confidence booster for him to shoot a stupid tiny little group at 100, and then go play on the steel range and get hits out to 870 without any issues once a good wind call was established.

Good news his basic rifle marksmanship fundamentals are still solid (we are both Marine vets), bad news his SIG Cross is a turd. I’d turn that barrel into a fence post if it was mine.
You grouping makes me miss range time.. a lot.
 
I’m shooting a very very accurate system off of a decent bench rest and a rear bag. I’m still very much the limiting factor in performance.

The Accuracy International AT-X is an obnoxiously expensive rifle, no bones about it. For the money you do get a platform that is easy to shoot well, and has the mechanical precision to wring out the best from quality ammunition. AI uses only cut rifled barrels in the US supplied by Wintac who gets blanks from Bartlein or Proof Research. Some of the imported barrels are Lothar Walther, again super high quality.

Triggers are adjustable two stage units, nice smooth first stage with a discernible and repeatable second stage wall that breaks the shot at will. I’m a big proponent of two stage triggers, you get the forgiveness and safety of a heavier trigger with discernible travel with the ability to break the shot with what feels like a set trigger.

The stock is fully adjustable so you can get the rifle fit to you, there is no fighting with the cheek weld trying to get centered up with the optic or being able to run the bolt or reach controls.

All of it adds up to a very very shootable package. Albeit a heavy one designed to issue to in shape PT studs in a sniper platoon in an infantry battalion or similar organization.

A reasonably competent shooter can get on it, make some quick stock adjustments for their comfort and shoot groups like I am getting. I know this to be a fact because I have a buddy who has been fighting with a SIG Cross that obstinately refuses to shoot anything particularly well. He thought it was him, so we switched rifles. It was a nice confidence booster for him to shoot a stupid tiny little group at 100, and then go play on the steel range and get hits out to 870 without any issues once a good wind call was established.

Good news his basic rifle marksmanship fundamentals are still solid (we are both Marine vets), bad news his SIG Cross is a turd. I’d turn that barrel into a fence post if it was mine.
Thanks for your service brother. You definitly have built yourself a performance package for accurate results at the range...
If you are doing any hunting, your game will certainly need to be sharp to avoid drops at extreme distance.
My dad was a army ranger. He left me a few things when he past. I am including here a image of a old Chinese SKS 56 he passed on...
 

Attachments

  • sks1.webp
    sks1.webp
    277.2 KB · Views: 86
Thanks for your service brother. You definitly have built yourself a performance package for accurate results at the range...
If you are doing any hunting, your game will certainly need to be sharp to avoid drops at extreme distance.
My dad was a army ranger. He left me a few things when he past. I am including here a image of a old Chinese SKS 56 he passed on...

My dad had a Chinese SKS in the original varnished stock complete with bayonet, cleaning kit, and a bandolier. Wish I had it, but my brother wanted it after he passed. He ended up trading it off. I haven’t parted with a single firearm my dad owned that I took, aside from the SKS and Ruger American .22LR I retained all the nicer guns or anything with sentimental value.

Eventually my son will inherit them, and probably learn on a few of them. I learned pistol marksmanship on a Ruger Single Six (convertible), and it is in the safe waiting another year or two for the same purpose with another generation. My only other rimfire pistol is a Benelli MP95E Olympic match pistol I shot in college for what is now Missouri State University. Great pistol, saw me to NRA Collegiate Nationals in 2003, but wildly unsuitable for a new shooter.
 
My dad had a Chinese SKS in the original varnished stock complete with bayonet, cleaning kit, and a bandolier. Wish I had it, but my brother wanted it after he passed. He ended up trading it off. I haven’t parted with a single firearm my dad owned that I took, aside from the SKS and Ruger American .22LR I retained all the nicer guns or anything with sentimental value.

Eventually my son will inherit them, and probably learn on a few of them. I learned pistol marksmanship on a Ruger Single Six (convertible), and it is in the safe waiting another year or two for the same purpose with another generation. My only other rimfire pistol is a Benelli MP95E Olympic match pistol I shot in college for what is now Missouri State University. Great pistol, saw me to NRA Collegiate Nationals in 2003, but wildly unsuitable for a new shooter.
Its good to honor traditions handed down in families. Old tools and firearms that belonged to my grandfather and father have meaning. Using them gives a link to the heritage of family and gives one a connection to those folk we value, from what we have learned from them. Interesting how certain things can touch our hearts. Good to know others share these feelings...
At the range this week shooting my dads old Winchester 100 in 308. Still very accurate, and got my first whitetail deer with it. Some folks
may never understand the links to the past.
 
At the range this week shooting my dad’s old Winchester 100 in 308.
Man, I’d forgotten about that rifle!

My Remington 788 in 308 was also a tack driver at 100 yds... 3 shot groups that could be covered by a quarter. Until I switched to Federal Premium. Then I could cover them with a nickel.
 
Man, I’d forgotten about that rifle!

My Remington 788 in 308 was also a tack driver at 100 yds... 3 shot groups that could be covered by a quarter. Until I switched to Federal Premium. Then I could cover them with a nickel.
308, like 30-06 is a great round. Especially for big game they are both available in many grain weights for certain applications. The drops at distances are predictable. Certainly hard hitting and effective. Its fun to tune them up at the range now and then to be sure banging around the house has not effective the sights or scope !
 
Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top Bottom