Firearms, Hunting, Shooting Sports

AI rifles are so gucci. Have had the chance to put a few rounds through them at the 1k yd range and it re-ignited my long range fire! I’m strongly considering the Tikka T3X Tac A1 as a cheaper alternative to the AI. My capability will absolutely be the limiting factor, not the rifle.

The Tikka T3x Tac A1 represents one heck of a value, plus it seems they have nailed down their receiver production to the point where you can order pre-fit barrels.

The ability to replace a barrel at home on your terms and not be at the mercy of a gunsmith’s backlog is a huge advantage if you want to play with overbore cartridges like any of the Creedmoor family, or large magnums. It’s no fun to torch out a chamber throat and send your stick off for 6-12 months waiting on a good smith to thread, chamber, install, and headspace a new barrel. Make no mistake all the current “hotness” cartridges slinging long heavy for caliber low drag coefficient bullets at fairly high velocities don’t allow for long barrel life.

I’ll be lucky to get 1200 rounds out the .22 Creedmoor barrel I have on order and that is OK. I know it going in. If I like how it performs I will order its replacement at about the 500-600 round mark so the new tube is ready to rock for next year.

While I wait I can just put the 6.5mm Creedmoor barrel back on, barrel changes take about 5 minutes on an AI and nothing more than a 4mm Allen wrench is needed if you thread the barrel in hand tight. I usually snug it with a wrench before I snug the receiver lock ring down though. So I keep a Knipex pliers wrench in my range bag, which I’ve found to be handy at removing a blazing hot suppressor as well.

IMG_1068.jpeg


If you don’t own one go buy one. Tremendously useful tool, jaws stay parallel, they’re not serrated so they don’t chew shit up, they have a lot of adjustment range, and the camming mechanism that closes the jaws magnifies your grip to the point it will virtually never slip off a fastener or anything you’re trying to turn.
 
More work done in advance of prairie dog shooting season (I could start now but why deal with cold and wind if you don’t have to?).

Getting my trusty Daniel Defense DDM4 V7 Pro 18” set up to run suppressed, because the C.A.T. suppressor line uses either HUB or their 1X16 LH QD taper mount (mine is 1X16 LH QD) I can easily swap from 1/2X28 threaded muzzles to 5/8X24 with the appropriate inside diameter threaded suppressor mount.

Next up waiting on a one piece cantilever scope mount to get my old Nightforce 3.5-15X50 on top and go get it zeroed with Hornady 53gr V-Max factory ammo since I’m not in the mood to reload 5.56mm/.223 right now.

I have also ordered an ARCA rail since my Harris bipod is on an ARCA mount now, and in the near future I plan to acquire a tripod for shooting with an ARCA clamp on an inverted ball head.

Also for fun comparison purposes we have a factory .22 Creedmoor round with an 80gr ELD-M next to a factory (IMI) 77gr SMK 5.56mm NATO round.
IMG_1247.webp
IMG_1251.webp
IMG_1246.webp
IMG_1249.webp
IMG_1252.webp
 
More work done in advance of prairie dog shooting season (I could start now but why deal with cold and wind if you don’t have to?).

Getting my trusty Daniel Defense DDM4 V7 Pro 18” set up to run suppressed, because the C.A.T. suppressor line uses either HUB or their 1X16 LH QD taper mount (mine is 1X16 LH QD) I can easily swap from 1/2X28 threaded muzzles to 5/8X24 with the appropriate inside diameter threaded suppressor mount.

Next up waiting on a one piece cantilever scope mount to get my old Nightforce 3.5-15X50 on top and go get it zeroed with Hornady 53gr V-Max factory ammo since I’m not in the mood to reload 5.56mm/.223 right now.

I have also ordered an ARCA rail since my Harris bipod is on an ARCA mount now, and in the near future I plan to acquire a tripod for shooting with an ARCA clamp on an inverted ball head.

Also for fun comparison purposes we have a factory .22 Creedmoor round with an 80gr ELD-M next to a factory (IMI) 77gr SMK 5.56mm NATO round.
View attachment 62228View attachment 62229View attachment 62230View attachment 62231View attachment 62232
Which suppressor is that? I use a Polonium on my main AR - very gassy but quiet and takes any abuse I can throw at it. I’ve been going direct thread but really do need to look into quick detach options.
 
Which suppressor is that? I use a Polonium on my main AR - very gassy but quiet and takes any abuse I can throw at it. I’ve been going direct thread but really do need to look into quick detach options.


CAT uses what they call surge bypass to mitigate over gassing gas operated firearms.

IMG_0864.jpeg


Here you can see a couple of the internal vents that bleed off pressure in the initial blast chamber and route them down to later stages of the suppressor.
 
Nov 2025 NE TX. Favorite times now are making these memories w/ my kid. Watching him take something is special. We have a few cattle for beef, but Fallow & Red Stag are really our kitchen go-to for ground meat. Mom is okay with his euro-mounts (thinks they’re a bit artsy), so if she’s happy I’ll gladly do those over pricey full-mounts.

Springfield Armory 2020 Waypoint
.308, carbon fiber stock, 20” steel fluted barrel, fluted bolt, AICS mags, TriggerTech, Vortex PST 5-25x50. Shoots Sako Hammerhead 150g.

IMG_0865.webp
IMG_1342.webp
IMG_4477.webp
IMG_0509.webp
IMG_1537.webp
IMG_1625.webp
 
I moved to Florida (Palm Coast) about five years ago and struggling to find places where you can plink over 200 yards. There are a couple private club/ranges but are too far
 
I moved to Florida (Palm Coast) about five years ago and struggling to find paces where you can plink over 200 yards. There are a couple private club/ranges.
I lived in Florida for a while and also struggled with long range ranges. Nothing within a reasonable distance of me over 500 yds. Now I’m out west (Portland, OR) and am a member of a private club with a 1k yard range, and it’s a short drive away. My ammo budget has gone up a lot since moving out here! 😳
 
I lived in Florida for a while and also struggled with long range ranges. Nothing within a reasonable distance of me over 500 yds. Now I’m out west (Portland, OR) and am a member of a private club with a 1k yard range, and it’s a short drive away. My ammo budget has gone up a lot since moving out here! 😳
I lived in Southern Cali and I’d drive 30 min to BLM land and set targets as fast as I was willing to
 
1,000 yard range here in Delaware. In Bridgeville near the Maryland state line. Bridgeville Rifle and Pistol club. There are also several other rifle ranges plus many pistol alleys. All outdoors. Dues and membership are easy. NRA and DSSA membership required to join.
 
My first range outing in the LC 250.
Love my Shadow Systems. Hate Glock s personally opinion no offense it’s just not my preferred grip angle.

Looks like I’ll have to dust off the Tika T3x soon
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2658.webp
    IMG_2658.webp
    451.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2824.webp
    IMG_2824.webp
    257.6 KB · Views: 53
Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top Bottom