Third Row Coming To The US - V6 Possibilities In 2027??

Tallmadge41

📛 Founding Member
Aug 18, 2023
Michigan
Vehicles
XC90
At 2:30 in the video the Toyota representative tells the world that if there is a “Market Demand” they will add a third row. It is very evident because they left cup holders and did not bother to design trim without, they have every intention to bring a third row to the US. In many of the video reviews from all of the “youtubers” they have made comments about the random cup holders. Now it all makes sense that there is a long-term plan from Toyota and they have showed their hand.

Because they had a special segment the “Market Demand” comment is a bunch of marketing Hogwash… There is a demand they just did not want to cannibalize too much from GX sales for the first couple of years. I don’t blame them it is a smart move, and I would do the same thing if I was in sales strategy at Toyota. And the fact that the GX is offered with 3 row configurations for families and two rows for off road enthusiast shows they have done their research. They are just maximizing sales opportunities.

Now the next big question. There will not be enough room for the battery pack and the third row. I am not a gear head, but I can’t imagine you can beat up the 4 cylinder any harder without the assist of battery boost. My guess is that they did not want to take away from the launch on the Lexus GX in the first two years and offer a V6. In 2026 or 2027 they will offer a 3rd row with a detuned smaller V6…. I would LOVE a diesel but Volkswagen killed that forever for the good old USA.

For myself I do not need the 3rd row. As for a V6 or the battery I guess I would go for the MPG of the 4 cylinder. I am on the waiting list at my local dealer.
Underground color please 😊

Agreed, marketing strategy. They also do not wish to impact the robust sales of the current 4Runner, a great off-roading machine. Lexus has the GX550 Overtrail, but Toyota did not announce a corresponding LC Trailhunter. There is an image of the future GX hybrid drive train, and guess what, it is identical to the LC. However, subject to change. All said, if one is really serious about Toyota off-roading, consider the GX Overtrail, as it employs sway bar disconnect on both the front and rear axles, not the watered-down front only on the LC.

Last edited:
JMO, but I don't think we will see a 3rd row version in the US. If you need a 3rd row, the non-hybrid 4Runner, GX, and Sequoia offer that. Need FT 4WD, too? The GX and 4Runner Limited trim can cover that.

There's already a lot of overlap between the 4Runner, LC, and GX; I don't know that there's a strong business case to offer even more internal competition.

JMO, but I don't think we will see a 3rd row version in the US. If you need a 3rd row, the non-hybrid 4Runner, GX, and Sequoia offer that. Need FT 4WD, too? The GX and 4Runner Limited trim can cover that.

There's already a lot of overlap between the 4Runner, LC, and GX; I don't know that there's a strong business case to offer even more internal competition.
agree. im eagerly awaiting the 4 runner limited 3 row option . not sure will be made in Japan though

I think it will require rethinking of hybrids battery placement not enough head room with 3rd row

I think it will require rethinking of hybrids battery placement not enough head room with 3rd row
Agreed, and where? The battery is well-placed and protected for the primary purpose of the LC, off-roading. Been reading some horror stories of EV batteries being slightly damaged, but requiring total replacement at great cost. Of course the LC battery is not as large/expensive as on an EV, but still...

At 2:30 in the video the Toyota representative tells the world that if there is a “Market Demand” they will add a third row. It is very evident because they left cup holders and did not bother to design trim without, they have every intention to bring a third row to the US. In many of the video reviews from all of the “youtubers” they have made comments about the random cup holders. Now it all makes sense that there is a long-term plan from Toyota and they have showed their hand.

Because they had a special segment the “Market Demand” comment is a bunch of marketing Hogwash… There is a demand they just did not want to cannibalize too much from GX sales for the first couple of years. I don’t blame them it is a smart move, and I would do the same thing if I was in sales strategy at Toyota. And the fact that the GX is offered with 3 row configurations for families and two rows for off road enthusiast shows they have done their research. They are just maximizing sales opportunities.

Now the next big question. There will not be enough room for the battery pack and the third row. I am not a gear head, but I can’t imagine you can beat up the 4 cylinder any harder without the assist of battery boost. My guess is that they did not want to take away from the launch on the Lexus GX in the first two years and offer a V6. In 2026 or 2027 they will offer a 3rd row with a detuned smaller V6…. I would LOVE a diesel but Volkswagen killed that forever for the good old USA.

For myself I do not need the 3rd row. As for a V6 or the battery I guess I would go for the MPG of the 4 cylinder. I am on the waiting list at my local dealer.
Underground color please 😊

I believe they left them there because the 3 row LC is available in most other markets internationally and it was probably cheaper/more cost effective and minimizes assembly complexity to leave them all the same. Plus they can be used if tailgating out the back. I don't think it hints that they want to add a 3rd row for the US. They would have to change the powertrain for the US market and add another option first, since the hybrid battery takes up where the 3rd row would mount anyways, as you mentioned. Who knows, time will tell.

I don't think we'll see a 3rd row in the Land Cruiser. It seems Toyota might save this option for the new gen 4Runner instead. Perhaps they will design the new 4Runner to be slightly longer to better fit a third row?

There’s a YouTube video showing the Gx with a hybrid and a third row. Not sure if it was an oversite.

At 11:30 in the video you can see how a 3rd row passenger tries to cram himself in the back. I find it had to believe there is any way possible to fit a battery below that seat. The only way to get a 3rd row is a set up without the battery . They will wait for 2-3 years before they let us have a V6 in the US. It will be on a Overtrail trim for big $$.

Considering the direction that things are going. I suspect it'll be more likely to see a solid state battery or other battery improvements before we see gas motor option in the US for this model. But, maybe?

Back