So it has been confirmed, 2024 Land Cruiser require's Premium Fuel.

Bronconomore

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Feb 2, 2024
Canada
Vehicles
Bronco Sport Badlands
Well that is just giving me gas!! I know the difference where I live is 6 cents per litre between the reg unleaded and premium....but you know, still. Shouldn't really make a difference if i purchase or not , but it is giving me second thoughts.

I missed it, where does it say the octane required?

I must be blind, canโ€™t see where it says that the LC requires premium fuel? I see there are numbers quoted for Premium fuel economy (mpg-wise), but where is the confirmation that it REQUIRES it?

Well I guess I will wait and see until other official info from Toyota comes out (ie ops manual, road test review). This would be somewhat of a departure for Toyota to require premium fuel considering other new hybrid max models are using regular fuel or maybe the LC is tuned using a Lexus ECM. And does this mean Tacoma Trailhunter, TRD Pro and Limited iForce Max will be needing premium fuel tooโ€ฆthat would likely create some โ€œnoiseโ€ from the Taco folks.

Last edited:
Well I guess I will wait and see until more official info from Toyota come out (ie ops manual, road test review). This would be somewhat of a departure for Toyota to require premium fuel considering other new hybrid max models are using regular fuel or maybe the LC is tuned using a Lexus ECM. And does this mean Tacoma Trailhunter, TRD Pro and Limited iForce Max will be needing premium fuel tooโ€ฆthat would likely create some โ€œnoiseโ€ from the Taco folks.
honestly that could move me from the LC to the GX...if they require same octane and the mpg HWY is not that different...hmm

honestly that could move me from the LC to the GX...if they require same octane and the mpg HWY is not that different...hmm
Am 100% onboard in this logic! And add the fact that specific drivetrain is delayed across the applicable vehicles (LC, Tacoma, GX).

I suspect.....since the manuals had to be printed far in advance, they used the same formating as previous model years. As US generally uses regular gas as standard for reporting MPG, it could explain why we are seeing the lower value now.
it's likely not required, but recommended to met the previously mentioned MPG.

That said, if the premium gas is required. I'm out. I'll find something else to put my $ to.

I suspect.....since the manuals had to be printed far in advance, they used the same formating as previous model years. As US generally uses regular gas as standard for reporting MPG, it could explain why we are seeing the lower value now.

That said, if the premium gas is required. I'm out. I'll find something else to put my $ to.
I think i am on board with you, not really out just yet....but heading that way.

Needless to say, it would be a BIG disappointment if that small turbo-4 would rattle it's guts out running regular fuel pulling a grade on a hot day. If any of you have been traveling up Baker Grade from Barstow to Las Vegas in July, well, you know what I am speaking of...

This would be somewhat of a departure for Toyota to require premium fuel considering other new hybrid max models are using regular fuel or maybe the LC is tuned using a Lexus ECM.
Toyota did this before with the FJ Cruiser. 2007-2009 required premium fuel. That changed in 2010 when it went to regular with a slightly different engine.

Toyota did this before with the FJ Cruiser. 2007-2009 required premium fuel. That changed in 2010 when it went to regular with a slightly different engine.
Good catchโ€ฆI guess as an FJ owner you would know the history :) I was aware of the Supra with the BMW engine that also required premium fuel. Maybe there are other examples too?

I must be blind, canโ€™t see where it says that the LC requires premium fuel? I see there are numbers quoted for Premium fuel economy (mpg-wise), but where is the confirmation that it REQUIRES it?
Owners manual has been posted stating Premium is required see Post # 28 under 2024 Land Cruiser require Premium Gas?

Owners manual has been posted stating Premium is required see Post # 28 under 2024 Land Cruiser require Premium Gas?

It does defeat the big hoopla surrounding the "good mpg's"
It certainly does. So premium fuel to get the hp and torque numbers then or what? Be interesting to see what comes about for the Taco TRD Pro, TH & Limited trims with same engine and similar power train. If LC takes premium and Taco takes regular then logic would say Hp and torque wonโ€™t be the same between the 2. Just speculation for now I suppose.

It certainly does. So premium fuel to get the hp and torque numbers then or what? Be interesting to see what comes about for the Taco TRD Pro, TH & Limited trims with same engine and similar power train. If LC takes premium and Taco takes regular then logic would say Hp and torque wonโ€™t be the same between the 2. Just speculation for now I suppose.
So true, I was going to maybe not bother with my LC now, and wait on the new 4 Runner, but i am guessing same engine for the 4 Runner Hybrid, same deal on Premium fuel.
Interesting to say the least.

Being in Southern California, where the gas prices are the most in the nation, premium 92 octane is frequently 20 cents or higher. Would my LC be knocking if I still use 89 octane regular. How much damage can be done if I use regular only?

Back