LC 250 to GX 550 OT+?

I think over all its a better buy, unless like me it just had to be a 250.
Which i am very happy with however strictly ROI the GX is more for the same relative price.
 
After gong over the GX OT at the dealer last week, the vehicle offers more than the slight uplift in price. Those things would need to matter however in my case they do for an additional vehicle. My problem is getting past the hoity toity part of the Lexus branding.
This. Damn thing looks like a mall crawler with that face
 
Our 3G Sequoia was one of the best tow vehicles weโ€™ve owned, but traded her on a LC. When towing MPG did take a solid hit. On a LC If your trailer stays under 4000#, & a reasonable length trailer, the LC tows impressively. Get too much tongue weight or trailer length & the wheelbase just isnโ€™t long enough to handle/correct. Under 21โ€™ boat, a utility trailer, or jet skis & it pulls like they arenโ€™t even back there. I get 13-16mpg towing which is a solid win over the Sequoia. If we end up needing better tow vehicle I think the perfect tow rig choice is probably the LX600/LC300 adding 29 gal fuel tank.
 
Last edited:
Our 3G Sequoia was one of the best tow vehicles weโ€™ve owned, but traded her on a LC. When towing MPG did take a solid hit. On a LC If your trailer stays under 4000#, & a reasonable length trailer, the LC tows impressively. Get too much tongue weight or trailer length & the wheelbase just isnโ€™t long enough to handle/correct. Under 21โ€™ boat, a utility trailer, or jet skis & it pulls like they arenโ€™t even back there. I get 13-16mpg towing which is a solid win over the Sequoia. If we end up needing better tow vehicle I think the perfect tow rig choice is probably the LX600/LC300 adding 29 gal fuel tank.
I've looked at the Sequoia TRD Pro but it was just too much SUV for me and I have no need for a 3rd row. They are nice though, very comfortable and probably a dream road trip vehicle if gas mileage isn't a concern. I don't really tow anything, at least not yet. I've looked at small Airstreams for weekend camping trips but haven't committed yet. The GX would give me a little more room to grow in that sense.
 
I've looked at the Sequoia TRD Pro but it was just too much SUV for me and I have no need for a 3rd row. They are nice though, very comfortable and probably a dream road trip vehicle if gas mileage isn't a concern. I don't really tow anything, at least not yet. I've looked at small Airstreams for weekend camping trips but haven't committed yet. The GX would give me a little more room to grow in that sense.
My Sequoia gets better MPG than my LC on the freeway (24-26 depending on speed). Agreed it feels huge by comparison.

Regarding road trips, it is excellent except WRT that weird 3rd row fold down situation. Otherwise, it floats!
 
I don't think the small jump in power between the 250 and GX would be noticeable by much. I'd put an OTT tune on the 250 and maybe a larger intercooler before getting a GX and having a ticking time bomb of an engine along with an ugly face.

If you really want/need the V8 why not get a nice used 200 series to replace the 250 with a known bullet proof Toyota V8, plenty of luxury and safety in them? Probably save a bit too!
 
Does anyone know if the turning radius of the GX is similar to the 250? Shorter or longer. We have a fairly tight turn into our garage, and the LC does better than most for its size.
 
Does anyone know if the turning radius of the GX is similar to the 250? Shorter or longer. We have a fairly tight turn into our garage, and the LC does better than most for its size.
Lexus claims the GX550 OT has a 19.7 turning circle vs the 20 ft turning circle of the LC250.
 
It might be hard to avoid second guessing the GX because the engine is more traditional and trivially more powerful. I guess some people should be honest about that before they buy and get a Lexus if they think it will bother them.

To me, the Land Cruiser looks cooler. The Lexus looks like what it is - the Lexus version of the Land Cruiser - but the Land Cruiser has the better ethos. I might concede that the sound the engine makes is utilitarian and could be a bit cooler, but I do not find the Land Cruiser wanting for power in any situation. I notice the tested 0-60 times vary wildly and so it seems like driving these vehicles requires some understanding of how the engine delivers power.

Personally I would not find a trade from the LC to the GX to make sense. Maybe to the LX, which is in a different and pretty differentiated class. Though Iโ€™d be more tempted if the Toyota LC version of that vehicle were available in the US.
 
The Lexus is longer though, so I would just have to drive one to see, I guess.
The wheelbase is identical w/ IFS, which is all that matters in regard to dimensions here. Any differences in radius would be tires, wheels (offset/geometry) and suspension characteristics, right?
 
The GX550 was my preference but every dealer in Southern California had mark-ups. My ideal setup would be a LC250 with the V6 rather than the I4 hybrid, even with the issues.
 
The GX550 was my preference but every dealer in Southern California had mark-ups. My ideal setup would be a LC250 with the V6 rather than the I4 hybrid, even with the issues.
Same here. I really wish this was something that was offered but I guess there would be no reason for the GX then. Even with the V6 reliability concerns it really doesn't seemed to have slowed down sales at all. Just spoke with a dealership in another state, 9 out of the 10 they have inbound are already sold and the one that is avaiable isn't an OT or OT+ so not something I would consider.
 
Until Toyota figures out whatโ€™s causing the engine issues with the V35a engine, Iโ€™d avoid. I loved my 2024 Tundra iForce max but as I was closing in on the end of my warranty and still seeing newer year tundras failing, I made the change. Yes, internet has tons but I saw first hand one failing on a trip (my buddies 2024). Yes, Toyota eventually made it right and replaced the engine but seeing the long process of them having to get approvals through corporate before doing any work, Toyota towing the truck to the nearest Toyota dealership even though we were hundreds of miles from home, and the hassle of being without a truck for 6+ weeks, it isnโ€™t worth the hassle. Love the tundra and the twin turbo engine but Iโ€™ll wait until they figure it out or switch engines

Not a fan of the turbo inline 4 hybrid and how it sounds like a Corolla but other than that, I have no complaints knowing I wonโ€™t be stranded or carless
 
Lexus claims the GX550 OT has a 19.7 turning circle vs the 20 ft turning circle of the LC250.
Sometimes the turning circle is measured curb to curb, as in the track of the wheels. Then other times is wall to wall, as in the overhanging snout on the GX scraping a wall.
Wall to wall i suspect the LC has tighter turning circle. Curb to curb guessing they are the same. Keyword guessing.
 
Sometimes the turning circle is measured curb to curb, as in the track of the wheels. Then other times is wall to wall, as in the overhanging snout on the GX scraping a wall.
Wall to wall i suspect the LC has tighter turning circle. Curb to curb guessing they are the same. Keyword guessing.
Yeah, I have both and can't tell if one can turn more or less than the other.
 
Until Toyota figures out whatโ€™s causing the engine issues with the V35a engine, Iโ€™d avoid. I loved my 2024 Tundra iForce max but as I was closing in on the end of my warranty and still seeing newer year tundras failing, I made the change. Yes, internet has tons but I saw first hand one failing on a trip (my buddies 2024). Yes, Toyota eventually made it right and replaced the engine but seeing the long process of them having to get approvals through corporate before doing any work, Toyota towing the truck to the nearest Toyota dealership even though we were hundreds of miles from home, and the hassle of being without a truck for 6+ weeks, it isnโ€™t worth the hassle. Love the tundra and the twin turbo engine but Iโ€™ll wait until they figure it out or switch engines

Not a fan of the turbo inline 4 hybrid and how it sounds like a Corolla but other than that, I have no complaints knowing I wonโ€™t be stranded or carless
Respect your position. I have no concerns w/ Alabama-built V35A in either of my Tundras. I would think the Japanese assembled GX550 & LX600/700 V35A are as reliable, or more. Lots of stories, but totally confident if I had an issue that Toy/Lex would have my back.
Thatโ€™s why I buy them.
 
Call Delivrd, they'll get you a GX at MSRP all day every day.
My coworker has one. Is not that much different if you worry about the powertrain, might want to get an SQ7 or X6M if you want the umphs.
 
Supporting Vendors View all โ†’
StickerFab
Back
Top Bottom