Greetings- General comments and a question

Putter

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Dec 15, 2023
Wisconsin
Hello from Wisconsin, I have been interested in a FJ for a long time now but was not ready to drop the $ for a used one. So, excited to see the LC make a comeback. I am hoping it lives up to the hype and it fits my needs. I sent an email to one of my local dealers, no reply back. Maybe because I mentioned I will not pay a dime over MSRP, ha! I worked for one of our domestic vehicle manufactures for 30 years, so this is my first Toyota, "foreign" car. Hybrids are new to me too, yes, I am a dinosaur. I need to read up on how this system really works. Sounds like it ups the horsepower and helps with fuel economy, that's all good. Hope the battery lasts a long time, bet they are expensive? I have drove full size trucks forever, time to downsize. As some of you have mentioned here, the LC or the new 4Runner? Something I need to look at too. But with wanted to downsize, the LC may be a better choice. Kind Regards.

Hello Putter, and welcome to the forum! Yep, sadly dealers are gouging customers in regard to price, and many folks standing in line for the new LC. My local dealer said $10K over for the First Edition, if they even were allocated one. I walked out. Regarding hybrids, I too am a bit on the fence. We presently own a 2021 Highlander hybrid, but an entirely different system than the new LC, the latter in my opinion primarily more for power than economy, gaining only roughly 3 MPH over a non-hybrid. Presently I am leaning towards the sibling Lexus GX 550, at this time only available in non-hybrid form, and with a smooth turbo V6. There have been some early reports the LC 4-cylinder is a bit noisy, if this could be an issue with you. Yes, hybrid batteries can be pricy, most likely about $6K to replace the LC battery. However, the battery warranty is lengthy. Another thing to consider in my opinion is that battery technology/chemistry is changing rapidly. If you anticipate a new LC will be a "keeper", as I do, then this can be a big factor in the purchasing decision. Oh, and the LC wile be manufactured in Japan, either the Tahara or Hino plant, a big plus in my opinion. The GX will only be manufactured in Tahara, an even bigger plus, as it is a facility renowned for quality.

Last edited:
Hello Putter, and welcome to the forum! Yep, sadly dealers are gouging customers in regard to price, and many folks standing in line for the new LC. My local dealer said $10K over for the First Edition, if they even were allocated one. I walked out. Regarding hybrids, I too am a bit on the fence. We presently own a 2021 Highlander hybrid, but an entirely different system than the new LC, the latter in my opinion primarily more for power than economy, gaining only roughly 3 MPH over a non-hybrid. Presently I am leaning towards the sibling Lexus GX 550, at this time only available in non-hybrid form, and with a smooth turbo V6. There have been some early reports the LC 4-cylinder is a bit noisy, if this could be an issue with you. Yes, hybrid batteries can be pricy, most likely about $6K to replace the LC battery. However, the battery warranty is lengthy. Another thing to consider in my opinion is that battery technology/chemistry is changing rapidly. If you anticipate a new LC will be a "keeper", as I do, then this can be a big factor in the purchasing decision. Oh, and the LC wile be manufactured in Japan, either the Tahara or Hino plant, a big plus in my opinion. The GX will only be manufactured in Tahara, an even bigger plus, as it is a facility renowned for quality.
Hey Nuke, Thanks for the reply. I am quite familiar with the Toyota quality system. Helped "install" it at our plant and studied at the Numi Toyota/GM plant in California. And I also hear the Tahara plant is world class. Also hear the LC will initially be made there, hope so. Hope the reports of the LC engine noise are not true, a big turn off for me. But my Dodge Ram 5.7 is not exactly quiet but runs flawless. The smooth Turbo V6 in the GX sounds interesting, but I would imagine MPG will suffer a bit? In either case, I will wait to see these new models, and the new 4Runner too. And wait until the greedy dealers get back to MSRP. Not to dwell on this point, but the manufactures claim no control over their dealers. So how can they (manufactures) offer below MSRP prices and expect dealers to conform? How much of a HP gain can we expect from this, LC hybrid model? That is HP gain over the non-hybrid 2.4 4 cylinder?

There appears to be no concrete information as to what trims or percentage of the LC will be manufactured at respective plants. If I were to guess, the plain-jane 1958 trim level will be from Hino.

The noise will not be an issue. Regarding mpg vs non hybrid and vs Lexus information are available.
Lexus GX550 could be at 17-19mpg. LC250 could be at 25-27mpg.

We are waiting official figures for the new 2024 Tacoma which has both hybrid and non-hybrid 2.4T. The latter is rated 19/24/21 mpg.
The hybrid version has the same power train as the LC250.

The noise will not be an issue. Regarding mpg vs non hybrid and vs Lexus information are available.

We are waiting official figures for the new 2024 Tacoma which has both hybrid and non-hybrid 2.4T. The latter is rated 19/24/21 mpg.
That should give us a close estimate. Viewed an interesting test with/without the ugly "chin" on the Tacoma. A tad less than one MPG difference, but there was a measurable difference, Amazing what Toyota would go through to achieve a very slight improvement in economy, especially since I suspect the majority of folks will remove the chin.

Thank You.

Thank You.
Thanks again, so much interest and questions. Would like to see a picture of one with the 20 inch rims and tires. I usually like this type of an option, hope it looks good on the LC.

Thanks again, so much interest and questions. Would like to see a picture of one with the 20 inch rims and tires. I usually like this type of an option, hope it looks good on the LC.
As an old-schooler in-the-rough desert off-roader, I cringe at 20" wheels. Granted, they do look nice...

Remains to be seen if these are them.

Attachments

• Landcruiser Metor3.png
    Landcruiser Metor3.png
    398.7 KB · Views: 59
Back