First sound clip on the new 4 banger

German88

📛 Founding Member
Nov 19, 2023
Spokane wA
Vehicles
2023 Tacoma TRD Offroad, 2023 Bronco BL 2dr, Porsche Macan S
I’ve heard golf carts that sound better🤣.
Seriously though, I’m not to concerned with exhaust note but this is a big step down from what we’re used to. My 2.3 4 cylinder Bronco is no better. It really does detract from the driver experience IMHO. Thoughts?

Actually, my "driver experience" does not include paying attention to the exhaust sound. The quieter the better. I think for the younger set. This is what I noticed about our daughter's 2021 4Runner, a lot noisier exhaust than our 2005. The "in" thing nowadays I suppose. Quiet exhaust systems = expensive exhaust systems? Well, excepting performance exhaust systems.

I think there's a difference between “loud” and “satisfying”. I’m not a fan of loud or even moderately loud but I like a little exhaust “note” when the kickdown occurs. I guess we’ll have to get used to this as the new norm. It’s like the 70’s all over again. Modern day power & torque figures certainly don’t disappoint like the 70’s on the upside.

Not interested in a big exhaust sound myself. More interested in quality of sound from the speakers :)
If the JBL system in the LC is anything like what's in the 23 Tacoma your in good shape!

Exhaust note? It's a 4 cylinder. They're supposed to be quiet, because when they're loud, they sound ridiculous. The quieter the better in my opinion - driving around town, on a road trip, heck, even off road so you can hear if anything is going wrong. I just hope Toyota doesn't do the engine sound thing through the speakers, like so many manufacturers are doing now - I hate that and it negatively impacts the stereo sound.

I have a V8 Mustang that has a nice exhaust note, because, well, it's a V8 and it's supposed to sound good, and it's not a daily driver.

As long as it has decent performance, I'm not so worried about the exhaust sound. I'd like to see a drag race between the new LC and the GX550 with the twin turbo v6.

I’ve heard golf carts that sound better🤣.
Seriously though, I’m not to concerned with exhaust note but this is a big step down from what we’re used to. My 2.3 4 cylinder Bronco is no better. It really does detract from the driver experience IMHO. Thoughts?

At 12:55 of this video is the Tacoma TRD Pro sound. Much better with a better exhaust (identical engine).

Last edited:
Exhaust note? It's a 4 cylinder. They're supposed to be quiet, because when they're loud, they sound ridiculous. The quieter the better in my opinion - driving around town, on a road trip, heck, even off road so you can hear if anything is going wrong. I just hope Toyota doesn't do the engine sound thing through the speakers, like so many manufacturers are doing now - I hate that and it negatively impacts the stereo sound.

I have a V8 Mustang that has a nice exhaust note, because, well, it's a V8 and it's supposed to sound good, and it's not a daily driver.
Toyota does that on the new Sequoia (and I think the new Tundra too). It was stupid and required a dealership to program it off.

Don't care how the engine sounds. It's a Toyota.

I do care the new LC has JBL audio - which isn't as good as modern premium audio systems (the JBL in my 23 Sequoia was just meh) - at least it isn't ear bleeding like the Bronco audio system or the base RAV4 audio system which are unacceptable.

I don't really care what it sounds like from outside. The more important test will be what it sounds like from inside while driving, the Toyota 2.4L turbo sounded pretty bad when under load from inside the car in the Grand Highlander I test drove...hopefully the hybrid system can keep the engine lower in the rpm band and the LC has better sound deadening than the GH. I suspect refinement is the reason Lexus chose the 3.4 turbo, vs the hybrid as the main powertrain for the GX.

I don't really care what it sounds like from outside. The more important test will be what it sounds like from inside while driving, the Toyota 2.4L turbo sounded pretty bad when under load from inside the car in the Grand Highlander I test drove...hopefully the hybrid system can keep the engine lower in the rpm band and the LC has better sound deadening than the GH. I suspect refinement is the reason Lexus chose the 3.4 turbo, vs the hybrid as the main powertrain for the GX.
I agree and this is the main gripe I have with the Bronco, (hoping the LC isn't the same). Sound from inside the cabin is beyond lame. If it was totally muted I'd be thrilled but instead you get a buzzy high pitched wretched sound throughout the rev range. Highly annoying and not befiting an offroad vehicle of the stature.

I agree and this is the main gripe I have with the Bronco, (hoping the LC isn't the same). Sound from inside the cabin is beyond lame. If it was totally muted I'd be thrilled but instead you get a buzzy high pitched wretched sound throughout the rev range. Highly annoying and not befiting an offroad vehicle of the stature.

The 2.3L I4 is buzzy and underpowered with the default non-Sasquatch 3.73 (?) gearing. The 2.7 V6 with Sasquatch gearing (reduces mpg though) is vastly better.

I'm not expecting the LC engine to sound good at all. You want a good sounding engine.. buy a 392 Wrangler with a Hemi or the Lexus GX with the twin V6 turbo.

My 2.3L Turbo Ranger is pretty acceptable inside the cab, as far as sound goes. I do know that a pre-programmed sound is piped through the B&O system, but it isn't overly noticeable. My Ranger is MUCH quieter than the Bronco with the same engine, and I'd expect the LC to be closer to the quietness of my Ranger (with the non-removable roof) and hopefully better soundproofing that Toyota is installing in many of their current vehicles.

I think most of us would agree that the styling of the new Land Cruiser is a home run (at least for me). The huge question mark is the powertrain. I am less concerned with the noise out of the tailpipe then I am with power going up into the mountains.

Recent news is that this new powertrain is being held up by the EPA. The new Tacomas were slated to be released in 2023 and they are having difficulty getting the EPA to sign off.

I think most of us would agree that the styling of the new Land Cruiser is a home run (at least for me). The huge question mark is the powertrain. I am less concerned with the noise out of the tailpipe then I am with power going up into the mountains.

Recent news is that this new powertrain is being held up by the EPA. The new Tacomas were slated to be released in 2023 and they are having difficulty getting the EPA to sign off.
Where did you hear this?

They just want to be sure the hybrid powertrain is rock solid.. Most customers can wait few more months in order to get the truck/SUV they like.

Back