pricing of First Edition

FarooqMCSE

πŸ“› Founding Member
Sep 11, 2023
Chino, CA 91710
Vehicles
Land Cruiser year 2000
Hi all, wondering. Hype is there, wait is long. In the spring of 2024, what is going to be available is not 1958. So, it seems, Toyota will be pushing only First Edition, 5000 of first editions, in first 3 months. Only then, the wait for 1958, will be over by July 2024. Are we getting any special discounts on First Edition, to make it more affordable? Otherwise wait additionally 3 to 4 months, past Spring, or pay the 25000 more on top of 1958's price. Dilemma is there if someone can resolve this puzzle

Hi all, wondering. Hype is there, wait is long. In the spring of 2024, what is going to be available is not 1958. So, it seems, Toyota will be pushing only First Edition, 5000 of first editions, in first 3 months. Only then, the wait for 1958, will be over by July 2024. Are we getting any special discounts on First Edition, to make it more affordable? Otherwise wait additionally 3 to 4 months, past Spring, or pay the 25000 more on top of 1958's price. Dilemma is there if someone can resolve this puzzle
Unless you're already at the top of a dealer's waiting list in your area, you're not likely going to get a chance to purchase a First Edition. My local dealer, which is the largest Toyota dealer in my state, doesn't expect to get a First Edition as part of that dealer's allocation despite having a long waiting list of interested purchasers.

Very depressing, Toyota's marketing strategy. I agree with IceColdNorth, the First Editions will in practice be impossible to obtain. My closest dealer indicated that if they are allocated a First Edition, it will be $10K over MSRP. Given this, personally am going to shoot for a 2024 GX, as it appears I can get one for MSRP, and, admittedly subjective, but the interior/exterior styling is more appealing.

I think Nuke Moderator and Ice Cold North are talking logic. If First Edition is not at 55 grand, no use dying for it, when Lexus, at higher price will be worth that higher price. Toyota should make more First Editions, drop 1958s, and ask /force each dealership to maintain an honest and open waiting list.
Current Toyota policy is not healthy. Marketing guys need to make a healthy, hopeful and promising plan. Frustration will drive many of us out of this marketing debacle.

Add to this, that one can no longer spec a Toyota and order. What you see is what you get. Presently attempting to determine if this is Lexus policy also. An old-schooler, I like to configure the details.

Add to this, that one can no longer spec a Toyota and order. What you see is what you get. Presently attempting to determine if this is Lexus policy also. An old-schooler, I like to configure the details.
I just bought the LX 600 F-Sport yesterday. I was playing around with the builder online prior to pulling the trigger. It's a lot like the Toyota system. You can go through the build and it will try to match you to a car in your selected region.

Attachments

• IMG_1235.jpeg
    IMG_1235.jpeg
    417.9 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_1237.jpeg
    IMG_1237.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 146
Maybe Toyota should have introduced the LC250 as a 2025 model. I expect the wait time for some replacement parts could be painful for 2024 models. I think a model year 2027 could be a good value with early issues resolved; I'm not sure I'll wait that long.
My wife's lease is up later this year. I'm going to pull the trigger on the LC at that point. We're both done with European cars. The reliability isn't there anymore. They're beautiful to drive, but they're just so frustrating.

My wife's lease is up later this year. I'm going to pull the trigger on the LC at that point. We're both done with European cars. The reliability isn't there anymore. They're beautiful to drive, but they're just so frustrating.
That is cool and a good choice for SoCal; you'll have some yin and yang with the Lexus parked next to a 1958.

Very depressing, Toyota's marketing strategy. I agree with IceColdNorth, the First Editions will in practice be impossible to obtain. My closest dealer indicated that if they are allocated a First Edition, it will be $10K over MSRP. Given this, personally am going to shoot for a 2024 GX, as it appears I can get one for MSRP, and, admittedly subjective, but the interior/exterior styling is more appealing.
I LOVE the exterior of the GX, but prefer the more modest interior of the LC. Plus I do like the idea of the hybrid. That said, my thought is to go with the LC, and when GX has a hybrid version, consider the upgrade a few years from now. I'm betting the GX is still ~ 10 grand more than the First Edition.

Last edited:
LX is starting at $92k. First edition LC 250 at $82k would be kind of crazy but nobody knows how much the afficionados are ready to pay.
5000 cars.... how many Toyota dealers are in North America ?

Unless you're already at the top of a dealer's waiting list in your area, you're not likely going to get a chance to purchase a First Edition. My local dealer, which is the largest Toyota dealer in my state, doesn't expect to get a First Edition as part of that dealer's allocation despite having a long waiting list of interested purchasers.

Welcome fellow Minnesotan! I live about 15 minutes away from that dealer and have purchased other vehicles from them in the past. I put my name on the waiting list for a 1958 model in November. The salesperson that I worked with told me there were already a lot of names on the waiting list, but most were for upper trim models. I'm expecting a long wait. I hope to see you driving a LC in the north metro next year.

It seems Toyota and dealers are expecting a significant brand premium for the LC250, and I feel isolated since I can see through the bs. I think it’s time for Toyota to offer up some facts and data on why we should be waiting for the new Land Cruiser.

Here is one example. I think it’s ridiculous Toyota can’t find a reliable electric water pump design to install on the LC250 so we can have a software controlled all electric cooling system that can be run at full capacity with the engine idling or off. An all electric cooling system would allow complete removal of the serpentine belt. This is the feature that initially got me so excited about the LC250.

There seems to be many compromises to accommodate the global architecture and bring the price down. I like a good value, but now we potentially have dealers asking over MSRP threatening to wipe out that product development investment in customer value.

I just bought the LX 600 F-Sport yesterday. I was playing around with the builder online prior to pulling the trigger. It's a lot like the Toyota system. You can go through the build and it will try to match you to a car in your selected region.

Congrats! That's a nice looking SUV!

Maybe Toyota should have introduced the LC250 as a 2025 model. I expect the wait time for some replacement parts could be painful for 2024 models. I think a model year 2027 could be a good value with early issues resolved; I'm not sure I'll wait that long.

I agree with the LC250 should have been a 2025 model year, especially if these won't be shipping to the states until summer/mid 2024.

I agree with the LC250 should have been a 2025 model year, especially if these won't be shipping to the states until summer/mid 2024.
When I reserved w/ my dealer, he estimated that I'm going to be 2025 model year, at best. It was a waitlist of 15 at that time. I think many of us are probably going to get pushed into the '25 year. Silver lining to avoid the "year-one issues" I suppose.

Last edited:
Back