The Tow-Haul mode does nothing in this situations. Still will warm up pretty high.I would use Tow/haul mode in these situations if you don't want to lock the center differential or go into 4-LOW when things get to slippy.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
The Tow-Haul mode does nothing in this situations. Still will warm up pretty high.I would use Tow/haul mode in these situations if you don't want to lock the center differential or go into 4-LOW when things get to slippy.
Same with the new 6th gen 4runners with the same drivetrain.reading the 4th gen tacoma forums with the same drivetrain seems to be a common problem with them as well, don't think this is LC250 specific. I'm curious about using a transmission cooler or aux fan to help.
I do not disagree with you. But my question is, why my Mitsu 2WD outlander, my wife's pryus and my friends civic and my parents Nissan Rougue do NOT need to switch to manual on the same switchback roads? oh yeah, and my Jeep 4xe that I traded in for this, that sometimes I regret when I see that temp going up and praying the tranny does not blow up.I'm in the dunes every weekend, centre locked, and driving in manual mode. never had transmission overheat, yes temps creep up slight but not more that 10%. i've got bigger heavier tires on than what comes from factory - ROH Raid with BFG KO3 385/70/17. A friend, driving same conditions, with stock factory wheels & tires, 265/60/18 but in auto 4h, center locked, has issues with overheating. IMO it comes down to how you drive the vehicle.
The Prado transmission does tend to run hot even at highway speed doing the speed limit here (140km) GPS speed during summer the trans temps hover around 95C which is relatively high on the highway and will degrae the trans oil faster.I'm in the dunes every weekend, centre locked, and driving in manual mode. never had transmission overheat, yes temps creep up slight but not more that 10%. i've got bigger heavier tires on than what comes from factory - ROH Raid with BFG KO3 385/70/17. A friend, driving same conditions, with stock factory wheels & tires, 265/60/18 but in auto 4h, center locked, has issues with overheating. IMO it comes down to how you drive the vehicle.
at no point did i say the only cause is driver technique. i agree that the trans cooling is not adequate and there is no headroom, and all the vehicles you mentioned are engineered different. but lets compare apples with apples. once you creep into the high temps and cook the ATF, its going to keep happening. torque converter slip will cause a lot of heat, and not to mention crawl control. instead keeping revs in the engine's torque range will put less strain on the transmission and in turn, not generate unwanted heat.I do not disagree with you. But my question is, why my Mitsu 2WD outlander, my wife's pryus and my friends civic and my parents Nissan Rougue do NOT need to switch to manual on the same switchback roads? oh yeah, and my Jeep 4xe that I traded in for this, that sometimes I regret when I see that temp going up and praying the tranny does not blow up.
Totally agree, but should I be having this issue in the first place? Should any of us be expected to juggle AWD, 4H & 4L while in traffic—in my opinion, absolutely not. If traffic goes from 40mph down to 10mph & to a stop like it did in LCC I should not be forced to lock the center diff just to keep my trans within op temps, even with 33s. The vehicle's stock gearing should be able to accommodate these tires—the same thing would happen while towing a trailer with stoke tires. And I know that this is happening to random stock 250s towing trailers.
That is what I am tryin to figure out at the end of the day I guess. Are people with 33-35" tires that live in cities/towns with elevation driving around all of the time with the center diff locked?
Great advice. I'll do exactly what you said. Question as I am new to Toyota, is this a normal behavior for most Toyotas with Auto transmission?It’s pretty simple, until you fit an additional cooler all it takes is going to manual shift mode and selecting the proper gear to prevent temp rise.
For me 4L is only used in situations of wheel slip, very steep inclines/declines with low traction and certain sketchy obstacles or when I anticipate that wheel slip may occur in area where it could be dangerous if not properly setup prior to attempting a sketchy section and sometimes when very delicate torque application is needed at very slow (crawl) speeds.
4L burns much more fuel and applies exponentially more torque to the prop shafts, cv axles and diffs. Risk of driveline component failure or damage is greater in 4L in a situation of wheel slip and instant lock up due to the increased torque applied and along with the engine and transmission having to rev higher to achieve the same speed, is the reason I don’t use it except when needed.
IMO 4L should be used mostly at 15 MPH and below in potential slip or dangerous conditions and low speed conditions when the engine and trans will be overworked by using 4H and I almost always use in manual shift only. There is a reason the trans doesn’t like to auto shift beyond 4th gear.
Great advice. I'll do exactly what you said. Question as I am new to Toyota, is this a normal behavior for most Toyotas with Auto transmission?
Do you happen to know what gear ration does this 250 have at the axles?Not in my experience, seems to be for this transmission however no matter the platform used in.
It could probably be somewhat mitigated via software update on shift points but I don’t think that would entirely correct it. Maybe a different thermostat on the transmission may help some too?
Torque converter lockup or lack thereof at slow speeds seems to be the issue coupled with inadequate cooling capacity.
My 2012 Tundra with 35x12.5 tires suffered the same torque convertor lock up issues along with gear hunting. Although on that platform trans temps have never been an issue.
A regear to 4.88 gears solved the lockup and gear hunting, only drawback is with the slightest moisture on the road even at 60MPH if you floor it the rear end will break loose!
Did you ever get anything resolved? I’m in a very similar situation. I also live in SLC and take my 2025 off-road quite a bit and if I remain in 4H, the trans temp will go up pretty quick. I only got the warning one time when I was driving up cottonwood canyon to ski, but that’s because I’ve been pretty cognizant of it ever since. No snow on the ground just heavy traffic. This also happened recently on a simple inclined dirt road but I was only going 10-15mph.Hey y'all, the main point of this post is to collect info from the community. I am looking for anyone who has experienced any overheating in the transmission. If so, what mods have you made & what were you doing—as much detail as you can.
I am also open to suggestions on what to tell the dealer since they seem to not know how to troubleshoot vehicle issues without a computer telling them exactly what to look at. If you have questions or need more info, let me know!
Anything else you are willing to share is welcome.
In a nutshell if you do not want to read:
- Transmission overheats on slow uphill tracks (10MPH or less)
- not towing
- 2025 250 6 months old 7.7k miles
- TRD alloys on BFG KO3 A/T LT275/70R18
- ~2" lift
- Engine & trans Toyota bash plates
- no other mods or added weight
Areas & Temp Indicator/warnings (SLC, Utah)
- Trail Hollow West FS 10412 (RED)
*loose broken limestone solid traction 2-3 minor steps 1/2'-2' tall. Grade is more than 10% but not very steep at all
- Timpooneke Road (RED)
*well maintained forest road no obstacles, road quite bumpy due to small embedded rocks. 10% grade maybe
- Little Cottonwood Canyon Rd (+3/4 to red maybe a bit more)
*paced road. grade is less than 10%
For anyone who wants to read:
I have noticed that my transmission temp increases a fair bit while doing any uphill driving under low speeds. This has happened on a basic off road track, main access dirt forest road, & a paved canyon road. Out of the three times I noticed this, two got to the point of overheating in the red with warnings on the dash.
The first time I noticed it was on the right fork (counter clockwise for people familiar with the track) of the Trail Hollow West FS 10412 driving up to the Top of the World overlook in the Uinta Mountains outside Salt Lake City, Utah. We got roughly 3/4 through the climb before the Prado started yelling at me for an overheating transmission. I stopped in hopes of getting the temp to drop, but after a decent amount of time waiting it did not. I decided to finish the last little bit to get it in the open air, flat & in the wind to assist in getting the temp down. After pulling up onto the flats just above the climb where the trans started overheating, the temp slowly dropped & normalized. We did not see any other issues after that as it was all downhill on well maintained forest roads & the end of the day.
The second time I noticed the temp was increasing was on the Timpooneke Road in American Fork, Utah. This is a well maintained forest road that provides campground access & alpine meadow access. All but the final 15 ft of this track is very well maintained & can easily be driven by any AWD like a subbie or even a Civic. This happened towards the very end of the climb into the meadow as the grade kicks back & maybe gets to 10%. Simply driving at low speeds due to the rocky surface was enough to get the trans temp in the red as I pulled over the crest onto flat ground. The temp here dropped at a decent rate & a bit faster than the first time in the Uintas, but eventually normalized. Here too after this we did not encounter anything steep enough to cause the overheating again.
The third time was the next day while driving up Little Cottonwood Canyon to Albion Pass above Alta to do a quick jog to Cecret Lake. At the time there was (maybe still is) construction around White Pine that drops traffic to a two-way under one lane. When it was our time to go, traffic started moving but was creeping very slowly—less than 5 mph. Within 15 sec I watched the temp creep up from normal to around the 3/4 mark before hitting the red. Like Timp. the day before, I was able to stop & let the vehicle cool down while I waited for traffic to get a head start on me. Once traffic was moving the temp maintained at normal operating temps & I had no other issues that day.
Given the system, gearing & claims by Toyota the tire size should not be causing the overheating issue. Although I can hear that argument—based on my experience with other rigs, from what I see in the 250 community & from content producers, that should not be happening.
The 250 has been with the dealer since the third incident & that too has been a great time. I made an appointment highlighting the primary, secondary & tertiary issues I am experiencing—it took them two weeks to even look at the vehicle. (They also refused to give me a loaner during this time).
I called & sat on hold for nearly 2-hours before the call dropped, but while I was on hold I got the first notification that they were looking at my vehicle. I called back & the call went straight to a manager, they at least at this point offered a loaner.. Within a day they told me the wheel tire combo they recommended was causing the overheating transmission. The vehicle never logged the overheating warnings & never threw a code so they do not know what to do.
I told them to look at the torque converter & at the very least check the trans oil for debris & discoloring, but they so far have refused because ‘there was no code’. On the 8th they will have had it for 30 business days & no closer to even looking at the transmission, which is the main issue I am having.
Going into manual you also lose ability to use a lot of the functions like crawl control, downhill assist, cruise, traffic assist, etc. idk why that's the "answer". I've been to the dealer a handful of times and they can't or won't do anything about it.Did you ever get anything resolved? I’m in a very similar situation. I also live in SLC and take my 2025 off-road quite a bit and if I remain in 4H, the trans temp will go up pretty quick. I only got the warning one time when I was driving up cottonwood canyon to ski, but that’s because I’ve been pretty cognizant of it ever since. No snow on the ground just heavy traffic. This also happened recently on a simple inclined dirt road but I was only going 10-15mph.
Seems a bit crazy to me that people recommend using manual or switching to 4L when it’s completely unnecessary and a $70k vehicle.
Unfortunately, no I am still having issues and it is getting worst. I was also sort of advised to stop talking about this, which is why I have not been updating this thread—I hope you can read between the lines there.Did you ever get anything resolved? I’m in a very similar situation. I also live in SLC and take my 2025 off-road quite a bit and if I remain in 4H, the trans temp will go up pretty quick. I only got the warning one time when I was driving up cottonwood canyon to ski, but that’s because I’ve been pretty cognizant of it ever since. No snow on the ground just heavy traffic. This also happened recently on a simple inclined dirt road but I was only going 10-15mph.
Seems a bit crazy to me that people recommend using manual or switching to 4L when it’s completely unnecessary and a $70k vehicle.
Lawsuit?Unfortunately, no I am still having issues and it is getting worst. I was also sort of advised to stop talking about this, which is why I have not been updating this thread—I hope you can read between the lines there.