General Grabber ATX 275/70R18 SL report for 1958

As the title says this is about Gen Grab ATX 275/70R18 SL tires. My goal is to stay stock and light weight and maximize off road capability without sacrificing the on road travel experience. If I'm being honest, off road is 5%, on road 95%. That being said, I wanted a tire that I was comfortable with doing Utah escapades and Colorado passes.

My local tire service center, would not put tires on my vehicle that were more than 5% larger than stock and not the same or better speed rated. So that meant 265/70R18 was the max size they would do. Also, the stock tires were, I believe H rated-who drives 130 mph?

According to online experts(?), 275/70R18 fits a stock 1958 wheel without mods and the spare fits as well. These tires provide about a 1 inch lift over the stock 245s. Remember we are concerned with weight. So my search lead me to 4 tire options in the 45lb. area:

Pirelli Scorpion XTM, Nitto Terra Grappler G3, Toyo Open Country AT3 & General Grabber ATX.

Based on my interpretation of online experts...the best options were probably the Pirelli and Nitto for on road drivability. That said, a household influencer, has Gen Grabbers and thinks dad needs a real off-road tire. Further, the tire shop I visited seamed to like the fact that Grabbers have been around and they get the job done without complaints. So I went tried and true. I purchased General Grabber ATXs.
So how are they? 45.5lbs. check. Low noise-I don't really hear them (or my wife for that matter). Comfortable in town. More than capable for my local off roading. Still waiting to try moderate trails in the wet.

So if you are in the I do NOT need E-rated tires club...I recommend the Gen Grabbers. I'm sure the others would serve well too. Stay light my friends.
remember the stock 1958 trim wheels are 7 inch wide
 
Supporting Vendors View all โ†’
Back
Top Bottom