Extended Warranty

Pierac

đź“› Founding Member
Jun 3, 2024
Arizona
Vehicles
Land Cruiser
Anyone thinking about getting an extended warranty? If so...how much did or are you willing to pay?

I have been looking on-line and it seems there are offers for 10yr 100,00 mile (close to with.. $100.00 deductible ) bumber to bumber warranty at around $2500.00. Now I have never gotten one on a Toyota... Yet... have on several other cars that actually paid for themself and way... more! Given the newness of every freaking component on this LC. I'm thinking it may be worth it? Now... I keep my cars 10yr or more... so that plays a factor for me....

My goal is to tract the cost of different dealers that are charging for an extended warranty from Toyota. Info to be use/shared to bargin for a reduction in cost... if overcharged! we can provide to those dealers using this site....

Trying to save money!!!

In my many years, 2 million miles plus of operating vehicles, on and off road, have never had an extended warranty, nor had a need for one. Hey, if I were into European vehicles, possibly, but I reason the odds are overwhelmingly in my favor with a Toyota.

The dealership I’m getting mines from advertises on their website a lifetime warranty for all new and certified preowned cars sold by them. As long as you keep up with the manufacturer suggested maintenance and keep track of it. You can have it serviced anywhere in the United States.

The dealership I’m getting mines from advertises on their website a lifetime warranty for all new and certified preowned cars sold by them. As long as you keep up with the manufacturer suggested maintenance and keep track of it. You can have it serviced anywhere in the United States.
Can I give you the "There is No Free Lunch" talk? :) Surely the charge of the extended warranty is hidden somewhere. Our dealer does lifetime washes, but they also use it to keep the vehicles of the lot clean. It is not very fancy either, but works.

In my many years, and 2 million miles plus of operating vehicles, on and off road, have never had an extended warranty, nor wished for one. Hey, if I were into European vehicles, possibly, but I reason the odds are overwhelmingly in my favor with a Toyota.
I understand... But I did get one on my 2014 Subaru Forester XT. I did because it was my first Subaru. I paid about $1300.00. Covered under warranty they paid out $1100.00 for new Air conditioner, Replaced front swaybars... and Driver side drive axle.

I think I came out $300.00 ahead? Not a lot... but ahead....

Now Warranty on my wifes 2020 Lincoln.... That cost me about $2400.00 and so far we are about $1000 in savings from multiple repairs.... after the 36,000 miles... plus they pick the car up and drop off a rental at the same time! No fuss and freaking awesome service!!!

Can I give you the "There is No Free Lunch" talk? :) Surely the charge of the extended warranty is hidden somewhere.
yeah, I don’t know where the cost is but if they try to add anything when I go to sign the contract and pick it up I’ll reject it. So far they seem the be honest brokers, charging MSRP in sea of other dealers marking up like crazy.

I understand... But I did get one on my 2014 Subaru Forester XT. I did because it was my first Subaru. I paid about $1300.00. Covered under warranty they paid out $1100.00 for new Air conditioner, Replaced front swaybars... and Driver side drive axle.

I think I came out $300.00 ahead? Not a lot... but ahead....

Now Warranty on my wifes 2020 Lincoln.... That cost me about $2400.00 and so far we are about $1000 in savings from multiple repairs.... after the 36,000 miles... plus they pick the car up and drop off a rental at the same time! No fuss and freaking awesome service!!!
Wow, you are on the other side of the coin. Possibly it would pay for you. However, again, we are speaking of a Toyota Land Cruiser, made in Japan.

Wow, you are on the other side of the coin. Possibly it would pay for you. However, again, we are speaking of a Toyota Land Cruiser, made in Japan.
I know... I got my Wife a 2014 Toyota Highlander and did not get the extended warrenty.... (Thank God!) Nothing ever went wrong with that vehicle pre 100,000 miles. I would have waisted $2000.00 for a unneeded warranty.

But.... the LC with port Holds... for quality issues? The Tundra's with engine failures.... Lot's of changes for Toyota this year alone!!!... and lots of unknowns to go wrong with new drive train... and A NEW ... Full time Allwheel drive system on... A off road vehicle with all the locking diffs... could lead to issues....?

Now.... I'm thinking out loud in my head... rubbing my chin.... saying what could possibly go wrong after the factoty warranty expires?

I guess... Its always a gamble... so far I have been slightly on the winning side with my choices.... But my brain screams extended warranty for this one...

Let me add... I'm driving 1.5 hours north to get this vehicle. All dealers in Phoenix Az wanted $10,000 to $15,000 market adjustment! F...That! Even for a 1958... it was $10,000 over MSRP!!! So I figured... I'm at MSRP which seems to be a deal it's self here in AZ... What's an extra $2500 for... 100,000 miles total vehicle coverage with rental ?

Last edited:
Only a rear locking diff, and I think no big changes in the full-time 4x4 system. The Torsen center differential has been around a long time. They have beefed up the transfer case with stronger chain, not that I like chains. The turbo engine would be my biggest concern. They are pushing that small 4-banger hard.

Any idea what the port holds are for? Seems I read possibly the VSC (Vehicle Stability Control)? Just a firmware update? Elsewhere it was mentioned parts shortages for port-installed options, which they seem to love to tack on nowadays, especially in the SE region.

Anyone thinking about getting an extended warranty? If so...how much did or are you willing to pay?

I have been looking on-line and it seems there are offers for 10yr 100,00 mile (close to with.. $100.00 deductible ) bumber to bumber warranty at around $2500.00. Now I have never gotten one on a Toyota... Yet... have on several other cars that actually paid for themself and way... more! Given the newness of every freaking component on this LC. I'm thinking it may be worth it? Now... I keep my cars 10yr or more... so that plays a factor for me....

My goal is to tract the cost of different dealers that are charging for an extended warranty from Toyota. Info to be use/shared to bargin for a reduction in cost... if overcharged! we can provide to those dealers using this site....

Trying to save money!!!
I waited until near the end of 3 yr warranty on my 20 4Runner ORP. $1350 for 10 (really 7) years 100K miles, Platinum (0 deductible).
Dealer wanted $1700 at time of purchase as I recall. Good idea to shop around. There are too many electronic components that are not repaired, just replaced.

I waited until near the end of 3 yr warranty on my 20 4Runner ORP. $1350 for 10 (really 7) years 100K miles, Platinum (0 deductible).
Dealer wanted $1700 at time of purchase as I recall. Good idea to shop around. There are too many electronic components that are not repaired, just replaced.
That's what I have been doing.... I would prefer a Toyota extended warranty... So I'm going in and showing all the prices I have found.... and see if they will match?

That's what I have been doing.... I would prefer a Toyota extended warranty... So I'm going in and showing all the prices I have found.... and see if they will match?
Just keep in mind there is a horrendous markup on extended warranties at signing time, probably in the neighborhood of 100%. Bargain!!!

Any idea what the port holds are for? Seems I read possibly the VSC (Vehicle Stability Control)? Just a firmware update? Elsewhere it was mentioned parts shortages for port-installed options, which they seem to love to tack on nowadays, especially in the SE region.
From what I hear all of the above... including sunroof rail issues what ever that means? Seems no official response... just rumors that might be or might not be correct/true.... What we do know is we don't have our LC's!

Mine is from TFS. My KDSS went out on my 2011 Trail. A $1750 option cost $3K to repair. Have not had to use the extended warranty yet on my 2020, but "The first time the mule kicks you, it's the mule's fault..." The extended warranty is a profit only option for the dealer. They may be willing to negotiate. I recommend Wolverine Toyota. wolverine toyota - Location, Deals and Inventory

They sold me a nice warranty.

Mine is from TFS. My KDSS went out on my 2011 Trail. A $1750 option cost $3K to repair. Have not had to use the extended warranty yet on my 2020, but "The first time the mule kicks you, it's the mule's fault..." The extended warranty is a profit only option for the dealer. They may be willing to negotiate. I recommend Wolverine Toyota. wolverine toyota - Location, Deals and Inventory

They sold me a nice warranty.
What I'm thinking is we can compare what's being offered around the country... For example

Just for kicks...say... Tims goes to ACME Toyota of Arizona is offering a 10yr 100,000 extended warranty for $2800.00 then you go to ACME Toyota of Tennessee and they want $3,300... You can now use Tims quote/price to have ACME Toyota of Tennessee explain the difference...

Real world data could = real world savings

What I'm thinking is we can compare what's being offered around the country... For example

Just for kicks...say... Tims goes to ACME Toyota of Arizona is offering a 10yr 100,000 extended warranty for $2800.00 then you go to ACME Toyota of Tennessee and they want $3,300... You can now use Tims quote/price to have ACME Toyota of Tennessee explain the difference...

Real world data could = real world savings
There is a chap named Gamster on the 4Runner Forum who provides links for quotes on extended warranties. He does that thru pms as the forum may limit commercial activity.

Sunroof drain issue, nothing to do with VSC.

I know... I got my Wife a 2014 Toyota Highlander and did not get the extended warrenty.... (Thank God!) Nothing ever went wrong with that vehicle pre 100,000 miles. I would have waisted $2000.00 for a unneeded warranty.

But.... the LC with port Holds... for quality issues? The Tundra's with engine failures.... Lot's of changes for Toyota this year alone!!!... and lots of unknowns to go wrong with new drive train... and A NEW ... Full time Allwheel drive system on... A off road vehicle with all the locking diffs... could lead to issues....?

Now.... I'm thinking out loud in my head... rubbing my chin.... saying what could possibly go wrong after the factoty warranty expires?

I guess... Its always a gamble... so far I have been slightly on the winning side with my choices.... But my brain screams extended warranty for this one...

Let me add... I'm driving 1.5 hours north to get this vehicle. All dealers in Phoenix Az wanted $10,000 to $15,000 market adjustment! F...That! Even for a 1958... it was $10,000 over MSRP!!! So I figured... I'm at MSRP which seems to be a deal it's self here in AZ... What's an extra $2500 for... 100,000 miles total vehicle coverage with rental ?
My understanding is that Bigtwo Toyota in chandler is selling at msrp.

Back