Any current LC owners here interested in the new 2024 Land Cruiser?

Silencesteve

📛 Founding Member
Aug 7, 2023
Los Angeles
Vehicles
2002Land cruiser, 2001 BMW M5
I’ve owner my series 100 for 10 years now and loving her. Very interested in the new LC especially doubling the fuel economy although my old LC value had also doubled. Anyone in the same boat ?

So I waited 2 years for my Bronco, upon delivery and drive back from San Diego I noticed wind noise from the hard top above 50 mph. No big deal and then then the passenger window won’t close all the way. Then a windshield recall noice and about 60 2.7 engine failures on the bronco forum. She was supposed to replace my 100 series LC but I found the 2 doors just not going to easy in n out to the back seats even with a weekly task picking up my grandkids. After 6 months, I took her to Carmax for a small profit but feeling relieved that I didn’t sell my LC. Now with 180k miles, I’m going to see if this new 4 cylinders model worth of the replacement. The biggest thing I’ll be missing probably would be the tailgate!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 75
Welcome to the site! I have a four-door Bronco that has been great. I like the look of the two-door Broncos, but I knew a four-door would fit our family better. It sounds like your 2002 Land Cruiser has been a great vehicle and it only seems right to trade it for another newer version. :cool:

As a non-LC owner, can someone tell me what the big deal about the loss of the tailgate is? Aside from the looks, and the ability to locate the spare there, I honestly don't get it - I would think the liftgate is an improvement since it can also shield from wind and rain. I used to get really annoyed always having to retract the rear window and swing the rear tire out on my 90's 4Runner to get the tailgate open. I do like the split rear door of the 70 series, but I don't really get the benefit of the tailgate. Is it because it doubles as a table?

As a non-LC owner, can someone tell me what the big deal about the loss of the tailgate is? Aside from the looks, and the ability to locate the spare there, I honestly don't get it - I would think the liftgate is an improvement since it can also shield from wind and rain. I used to get really annoyed always having to retract the rear window and swing the rear tire out on my 90's 4Runner to get the tailgate open. I do like the split rear door of the 70 series, but I don't really get the benefit of the tailgate. Is it because it doubles as a table?
It's not a big deal but some customers really like it. Table, bench, loading longer stuff.....

Yah OK, thanks. Pretty much figured that. I find the tailgate a bit of a PITA for loading stuff - especially when the tailgate is muddy or dirty. I get that enough with my Tundra, but I can see the appeal for someone who doesn't also own a truck.

The split tail gate has many advantages over the traditional swing out lift gate. Of course main reason is that it serves as a picnic table while the half shelf is still large enough to shield from rains and shade. The short overhang allows you to sit on it with ease more so than sitting on the truck. For smaller packages you just use the top shelf because it is half in size so it also lifts up easily and faster. For long items you may leave the bottom shelf down while closing the top shelf. They all have their advantages and disadvantages but these are more costly to make than the traditional lift gate. The 4 runner design with automatic rear window and that is also a nice feature if you have dogs where allow them to hang out without jumping out. Dead hard LC guys would always think a true LC should retains this design. Keep in mind even BMW stole Land Cruiser’s design on their X5! My grandsons loved the LC’s split tail gate where they fire off their foam darts rifles at the enemy (me) and still have enough protection for themselves Lol!

Please remember the LC250 is a continuation of PRADO Landcruiser series. It is replacing the LC150. They added the Power Tailgate. And they did not replace a V8 with a 4 cylinder. Here is the existing tailgate :

The continuation of the old Landcruiser 200 is the LC300.

Yes very interested after owning a 80 and 100 for a combined 24 years now.

Back