Why so few models?

Nuke

Staff member
📛 Founding Member
Jul 26, 2023
Rexburg, ID
It is really puzzling to me that the Land Cruiser offers so few models, three to be exact, and only 5000 of the First Edition will be made. So effectively only two models are offered, and neither with off-roading tires/wheels it appears. "All-Season Tires", they must be joking! Whereas, the Lexus GX550 is offered in 6 variants, with additional optional features. Was Toyota worried about impacting the 4Runner market? Where are the Trailhunters? Good grief, the GX550 has two Overtrail models! What gives? Well, we only have scant details, but presently it does not look encouraging. VERY disappointing.

With the standard locking diffs and sway bar disconnect I think they’re going for “every Land Cruiser is an overlanding Land Cruiser.” But then it still makes the tires seem an insane choice—Michelin LTX??? I’d even prefer the OEM not-quite-wildpeaks. But the Toyos from the overtrail would have made a lot more sense.

A matter of budget I think, i.e. the vehicle has to come in under a certain price point. The same with the new Tacoma, i.e. they could incorporate the ridiculous Iso-Dynamic seat, but not offer a front locker.

All I can assume is that Toyota is fitting the Land Cruiser with street tires to attain a better MPG.
That's what they have done with the 4Runner forever. Stock tires are among the first things owners replace. Some deals can be had on new wheels/tires traded out on new purchases. Being a cheap skate I usually try to get 20K miles out of the stock tires.

That's what they have done with the 4Runner forever. Stock tires are among the first things owners replace. Some deals can be had on new wheels/tires traded out on new purchases.
Sadly, they dropped the option, but very recently one could package in a spare set of wheels with a 4Runner order, and reasonably priced. For us in snow/ice country this was a great option for winter tires.

Sadly, they dropped the option, but very recently one could package in a spare set of wheels with a 4Runner order, and reasonably priced. For us in snow/ice country this was a great option for winter tires.
I did not know that Toyota had that option. Many around here use steel rims/snow tires for winter. I have done just fine with Michelin Defenders and predecessors for 21 winters. Being retired (no pun) some days we just stay at home.

The P tires stock on 4Runners are lighter than LT tires so should improve gas mileage.

I'm guessing they were trying to hit a price point and come out of the gate with a good MPG number. They know people are going to modify these to the moon so they give it all the necessary off-road features and will save the fancy trim levels for future releases.

I agree with most “main theme” thought going on here. I believe we are seeing a new approach that will be integrated over the next few years with new generations of Toyota vehicles

You can “see” the price window for a new generation 4Runner now with less trims

The overlander comment is right on between the tires and engines with softer off roading fits that idea to a T (as in Toyota)!

Back