Skid plate

DrMoody

📛 Founding Member
May 2, 2024
Louisiana
Vehicles
RAM 1500
I understand that the First Edition has a different skid plate than other trims. Anyone have any idea what the difference might be?

They had better be robust! The more I look at the Land Cruiser trim with the Premium Pkg vs the First Edition, I fail to see the value in the latter. Sure, a fancy roof rack and a few other things, but still...

From the videos I've watched on the FE, I believe it has "Toyota" written/engraved on the skid plate. I haven't noticed that on any other model; so I am assuming it is a variant of the other models.

I could be completely wrong on this as well.

From the videos I've watched on the FE, I believe it has "Toyota" written/engraved on the skid plate. I haven't noticed that on any other model; so I am assuming it is a variant of the other models.

I could be completely wrong on this as well.
I think I have seen that also. Typical of Toyota's high-end off-roading offerings. How much is it worth monetarily? Well, up to the purchaser. Personally, not much, as I am pushing through desert sagebrush...

I understood that (1) the FE has a front skid plate and the LC trim and 1958 trim do not, and (2) no trim has any other skid plates. I also understood that additional skid plates (center, rear?) may be added with aftermarket parts. Not sure if Toyota offers the front skid plate as a parts purchase for any model, or if Toyota sells additional (center, rear?) skid plates for any model.

If this is not correct, please someone correct me.

Last edited:
I understood that (1) the FE has a front skid plate and the LC trim and 1958 trim do not, and (2) no trim has any other skid plates. I also understood that additional skid plates (center, rear?) may be added with aftermarket parts. Not sure if Toyota sells additional skid plates.

If this is not correct, please someone correct me.
All trim levels have an engine/transmission skid plate, the FE just has an "upgraded" skid plate, which others have mentioned has unique Toyota branding.
Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 1.30.01 PM.png

The problem, as it is with many OEM Toyota skid plates, is that it must be removed to change the oil/filter. On a past 4Runner we owned it was all steel and HEAVY! Hope this is different on the LC.

The problem, as it is with many OEM Toyota skid plates, is that it must be removed to change the oil/filter. On a past 4Runner we owned it was all steel and HEAVY! Hope this is different on the LC.
I thought you would prefer a heavy, steel skid plate. Isn’t that the point when you crash into a rock?

I thought you would prefer a heavy, steel skid plate. Isn’t that the point when you crash into a rock?
Depends on the material/gauge. Regardless, I prefer a removable access cover for the oil drain and filter. And yes, have definitely off-roaded in rock country, i.e. remote Nevada chasing abandoned mines. Skid plates have saved my bacon.

All trim levels have an engine/transmission skid plate, the FE just has an "upgraded" skid plate, which others have mentioned has unique Toyota branding.View attachment 1669

Has anyone taken a look under an 1958 vs FE yet to determine if there is more to the "Upgrade" than the word TOYOTA?

I noticed it is now available as a $450 add-on in the configurator:
Screenshot 2024-05-18 at 2.19.07 PM.png

Apparently it has a couple of slotted bolt holes. This will be a great aid when reattaching following an oil change. Somebody at Toyota was thinking...

Looking at images, the non-FE plate is black and looks to be very thin metal. In some pre-production photos it didn't look like it went back very far, someone just posted a photo from an 1958 on FB and it looks like it might be multi-piece and maybe covers the same area as this one?

Some pre-production photos: Toyota's Newest Land Cruiser Is Sweet, but It's Not the Icon

Last edited:
Appears to be the same thickness as the gravel deflector, errr skid plate, that came on the Tacoma. Hopefully the FE will be more substantial.

Aluminum? If so, a brush deflector, not a substantial skid plate for the places I have frequented. Better than nothing. All one piece, so the entire skid plate must be dropped for an oil change.

It appears to be stamped sheet metal, a little on the thin side. My TRD skid plate is 1/8" aluminum and extremely rigid and weighs about the same as the stamped steel on.

Aluminum? If so, a brush deflector, not a substantial skid plate for the places I have frequented. Better than nothing. All one piece, so the entire skid plate must be dropped for an oil change.
I didn't even notice the "one piece construction" sharp eye!

Latest Discussions

Back