Let's guess CURB WEIGHT... GX550 has been leaked...

MN_LC

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Feb 6, 2024
MN
Vehicles
2006 CTS-V, Honda Pilot
Redline Reviews on youtube referenced a GX550 curb weight of 5700 pounds and I was very skeptical if the info was correct. Then I watched the TFLoffroad's youtube video of the GX550 and they showed the GVWR of the door sticker.... 7165 POUNDS, along with a payload rating of 1545 pounds.

Subtract that from the GVWR and we're looking a curb weight of 5620 lbs. This was the Overtrail model without a 3rd row seat as well.

I was expecting the new LC to come in around 5000 lbs on the top end. I don't see it weighing much less than the GX550. Of course the twin turbo 3.4 is going to be heavier than the 2.4L turbo in the LC... add in the hybrid powertrain/battery and I bet they're very similar.

I'm a little disappointed if the LC comes in that heavy for the size it is.

This should be fun... I'm guessing the Land Cruiser curb weight will come in around 5750 pounds.

This should be fun... I'm guessing the Land Cruiser curb weight will come in around 5750 pounds.
I am very curious about this, too. I have a GX460, and it has a heavy feel (though nowhere near the heavy vibe of the LX). I'm hoping the new Land Cruiser is a bit more spry with reduced weight; of course, the added torque alone should make it feel that way.

I equate weight to strength, but yes, we pay the price for moving that weight down the road...
Well said. I don't use my GX for towing; it's more for getting through snow. So, I think the Land Cruiser might work well for me even if it's lighter than a GX.

Well said. I don't use my GX for towing; it's more for getting through snow. So, I think the Land Cruiser might work well for me even if it's lighter than a GX.
Getting through deep snow is a science in itself I think. I prefer narrow aggressive tires, and of course 4WD, and even locking axles if the going becomes really rough... Last resort, chains!

I'm somewhat perplexed about why the weight gain was so substantial on the GX. It picked up around 550lbs going from the 150 series (~5100lbs) to the 250 series (~5650lbs). The Tacoma, going from the 120 (?) to the TNGA-F platform only picked up a couple hundred pounds. It's still around 4500lbs for a TRD Off Road (up from 4250 on the previous gen if cars.com can be believed).

I figure the Land Cruiser will be really similar to the GX as the lighter engine and transmission will be offset by battery and electric motor. I'm curious if the 4Runner will end up under 5000lbs for the non-hybrid. My current 4Runner is 4750lbs.

I'm shopping this year and have been a 2007 Honda Pilot which has been a great mule. I haul a bunch of stuff regularly, bring it ice fishing, and tow my boat with a ton of stuff in it for trips in northern minnesota. It is underpowered so anything new will be much better. But it has 87cf of storage behind the front seats. Now I'm seeing the new LC is going to have somewhere in the mid 70s for storage volume and I really didn't want to take a downgrade in interior room and driving on the ice with something over 1,000lbs heavier than my current suv is bit concerning.

Now I'm looking hard at a Grand Highlander hybrid max now. 98cf interior, 362hp and 4900lbs. Family of 5 plus a dog so the room is huge. Totally different vehicle but I need the size and the logging roads and frozen lake accesses I believe it'll do what I need it to do. Really wanted the LC though.

I'm shopping this year and have been a 2007 Honda Pilot which has been a great mule. I haul a bunch of stuff regularly, bring it ice fishing, and tow my boat with a ton of stuff in it for trips in northern minnesota. It is underpowered so anything new will be much better. But it has 87cf of storage behind the front seats. Now I'm seeing the new LC is going to have somewhere in the mid 70s for storage volume and I really didn't want to take a downgrade in interior room and driving on the ice with something over 1,000lbs heavier than my current suv is bit concerning.

Now I'm looking hard at a Grand Highlander hybrid max now. 98cf interior, 362hp and 4900lbs. Family of 5 plus a dog so the room is huge. Totally different vehicle but I need the size and the logging roads and frozen lake accesses I believe it'll do what I need it to do. Really wanted the LC though.
4Runner has a pretty damn big interior volume as well. Can be had as a three row. Plus, the back glass rolls down for the doggo.

Canโ€™t do a 4Runner theyโ€™re similar in power and mileage of my 17 year old Pilot, just sick of the 15/20 mpg my pilot gets while being slow at same time. The new performance hybrids are fast and quite a bit better on fuel. Weโ€™ll see how the redesign looks of the 4Runner looks in a year.

My summer daily is a blown CTS-V and gets 14/23, but doesnโ€™t feel so bad when Iโ€™m making 600hp.

MN_LC I'm in a similar quandary based on potential pricing of the mid/premium tier LC.....

I test drove a GH limited over the weekend and felt it was pretty blah, nothing special. kinda like my current rav4...interior was very plastic-e but I guess it would be fine for what I use it for and the fuel efficiency is very nice for a DD. at 54K approx for the limited trim (anxious about the LC trim pricing....)

BUT I have some concerns about the GH hybrid

1) build quality compared to LC, I believe they are made in Indiana
2) Theres no info or any suppliers that have aftermarket roof-rack systems or even rooftop tents that would be good for additional storage or hauling (beyond the 160 lb max of the factory bars) thus would need a trailer option (3500 vs 6000 lb probably would still meet my needs)

Iโ€™m looking into the GH hybrid MAX which is 362hp/400tq and 5,000lb tow rating.

My 1996 Land Cruiser 80 had a curb weight of 4751 lbs off the lot, with 212 hp/275 lb-ft of torque. Even if the LC 250 is 1000 lbs heavier, I think the 326hp/465 lb-ft is going to make for a bit of an improvement. My bar is low ๐Ÿ˜†

Iโ€™m looking into the GH hybrid MAX which is 362hp/400tq and 5,000lb tow rating.
You still thinking GHHmax after the news today?

I donโ€™t need the towing but like the power.

Iโ€™d get the GHH nonmax limited, 10mpg (35 to 25 LC) will add up over time, still have my reservations about the fuel tank issue + build quality, aftermarket parts

You still thinking GHHmax after the news today?

I donโ€™t need the towing but like the power.

Iโ€™d get the GHH nonmax limited, 10mpg (35 to 25 LC) will add up over time, still have my reservations about the fuel tank issue + build quality, aftermarket parts
What news?

Back