Hybrid Battery Failure & ICE

agjake01

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Sep 9, 2023
North Bend, WA
Vehicles
2016 Wrangler JKU
Anyone know if you could still operate the LC under ICE power if the hybrid battery fails? I know the configuration of the LC hybrid is different from some of the other Toyota hybrids (which would render the vehicle inoperable upon failure).

Just wondering for the hypotheticals - hopefully 10-15 years from now.

I believe I read that you could not. It is a smaller battery set-up vs standard hybrids so hopefully that means less money to replace 10-15 years from now.

I donโ€™t know, but I would have assumed it could operate with only the ICE in the case of a hybrid system failure, at least in some sort of limp mode. If I remember correctly, this happened with my familyโ€™s old Prius. Also, I would not say the battery size is smaller than that of standard hybrids. The Prius battery is only 0.9 kWh, which is half the size of the 250 battery.

It appears that you can drive with the hybrid system off.
Screen Shot 2024-05-24 at 07.54.33 AM.jpeg

Reactions: MJE
When Toyota references "the hybrid system", they are referring to the powertrain as a whole (the turbo 4-cylinder, battery, electric motor, etc.).

I believe I read that you could not. It is a smaller battery set-up vs standard hybrids so hopefully that means less money to replace 10-15 years from now.
1.87 kWh is not small for a hybrid vehicle. I do not know any bigger battery... Most of them 0.8 - 1.6 kWh.

Found this on a Toyota dealer site - re the cost for replacement of Toyota hybrid batteries. Iโ€™m sure battery technology will evolve over the next decade, but that seems to at least be a manageable amount (especially compared to what I expect it will cost Rivian and Tesla owners).

HYBRID BATTERY REPLACEMENT COST

How much does a hybrid battery cost? Generally, a hybrid battery replacement cost can range from $2,000 to $8,000.

1.87 kWh is not small for a hybrid vehicle. I do not know any bigger battery... Most of them 0.8 - 1.6 kWh.
I obviously don't know jack about hybrid stuff. :ROFLMAO:
I always imagined the batteries taking up most of the floor so it seemed small for my preconceived notion.

Hopefully economies of scale will drive down replacement battery costs by the time we need them - remember Toyota is going to be using the same battery in the 4R and Tacomas, so there will be a ton of demand and replacement production.

Back