How is the backup cam and or digital rearview mirror at night?

Uncle_Spike

📛 Founding Member
Apr 8, 2024
TN
Vehicles
08 FJ Cruiser 2024 FE Landcruiser on order
My 4XE Wrangler has amazing backup cam quality, However it goes from the 500K quality daytime picture to looking like a $30 walmart trail cam at night. Is the LC backup cam halfway decent at night? and what about the digital rearview mirror at night?

I too am curious about the rearview mirror in camera mode at night.

Has anyone tried that out?

Wow goose egg for me? Lol Guess no one is driving them after dark.

It doesn't get dark until way past 9pm around here and I have two young kids. When winter comes I'll be out in the dark much more. The couple times I've had it out I didn't pay much attention but had no complaints about the camera. I could still see everything around me.

We are all old. We go out for dinner at 4 PM and home by six. We don’t go out after dark. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I think its probably because in the owners manual its says to only run 91 octane after dark and I bet no one has found the auxilary tank switch yet . So everyone is running around on the low octane reserve tank. :cool:

It doesn't get dark until way past 9pm around here and I have two young kids. When winter comes I'll be out in the dark much more. The couple times I've had it out I didn't pay much attention but had no complaints about the camera. I could still see everything around me.
thanks hopefully if you didnt notice it that means at the least its adequate.

I've fooled around with the mirror-cam a little - it's definitely bright at night, but I don't think I could drive around with it in digital mode. It gives me instant motion sickness.

I've left mine on since I brought it home. I thought I wouldn't like it but I actually like it a lot. Biggest complaint from me is that when someone is 5-10ft from your rear end in traffic it looks like they're already colliding with your vehicle. Very off putting if you've ever been rear ended in traffic before.

I only use the digital rear view when ihave gear loaded in the back or someone’s head in the way, works perfectly for that.

In my experience it’s been pretty bad at night to the point where I switch to the normal rear view mode. In digital mode it just gets wonky for me at night time. When there’s no illumination at all, I get this weird double image where I have the digital image but also get the normal rear view visible and that really throws me off.

The rear view camera is serviceable in the night for me. Coupled with the surround view I’m able to confidently use it.

Back