FE vs LC

Crewzer

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Apr 28, 2024
NorCal
Vehicles
Land Cruiser
What are your thoughts on purchasing the FE vs LC or LC with premium package? Is the FE up charge worth it? Will a FE have a tremendously higher resale for years to come ? Any thoughts ?

I love the look of the Fe. Maybe not worth extra price but the overall look is much better especially in trail dust.

What are your thoughts on purchasing the FE vs LC or LC with premium package? Is the FE up charge worth it? Will a FE have a tremendously higher resale for years to come ? Any thoughts ?
It's funny you should ask this question. I had a FE booked and scheduled to arrive today. Yesterday, I had a long conversation with the sales manager at my dealership (loads of bad service, but i'm getting the thing at MRSRP) after which I decided to wait 3 more weeks to get the LC with the premium package.

I determined the FE embossing on the door, the mud flaps, carrier, rock sliders and even the skid plate wasn't worth the 8K premium. I was also ambivalent about the round headlights, and my wife was downright horrified by them. I'm a sucker for first/limited editions, but this just didn't add up to me.

If you're going to collect the vehicle and show it at some point down the road, a FE might make sense for you. I plan on driving the hell out of this thing. I will put on the aftermarket skid plates, carriers etc. on my own time.

It's funny you should ask this question. I had a FE booked and scheduled to arrive today. Yesterday, I had a long conversation with the sales manager at my dealership (loads of bad service, but i'm getting the thing at MRSRP) after which I decided to wait 3 more weeks to get the LC with the premium package.

I determined the FE embossing on the door, the mud flaps, carrier, rock sliders and even the skid plate wasn't worth the 8K premium. I was also ambivalent about the round headlights, and my wife was downright horrified by them. I'm a sucker for first/limited editions, but this just didn't add up to me.

If you're going to collect the vehicle and show it at some point down the road, a FE might make sense for you. I plan on driving the hell out of this thing. I will put on the aftermarket skid plates, carriers etc. on my own time.
After I looked at the actual differences between the two and the price difference , I selected the LC as well. Iโ€™ve had a few people say should have stuck with the FE as it will be worth way more later . Thanks for your input !

For me, it's 100% the Land Cruiser (LC) grade (vs. First Editionโ€”FE). I don't like many of the details on the FE (especially the FE mud flaps) and I much prefer the rectangular lights (they seem to fit the chunk front end better...and I want to squash any retro touches). And I don't want a roof box. I'd prefer the LC grade over the FE even if the pricing was similar. I don't hate the FE...but I for sure don't want one. PS: I'm not a huge fan of the 'Java' interior color (a bit too much "red" in the brown color for me) but I like the idea of a non-black leather interior. And the only way to get a non-black leather interior is to go with the LC grade (vs. FE).

Itโ€™s all preference imo as there are only couple things to factor in between the 2 trims. A couple of things that made us getting the FE. 1. My wife needed a vehicle sooner than later 2. I liked the round headlights over the rectangular ones 3. Wife wanted all the options possible (dumb reason I know)

Like others have stated thereโ€™s not much of a difference between the two and if things like one trim being more rare than the other or being the first to have it on the road is important than that could factor into your decision. If this was gonna be my only vehicle Iโ€™d probably get the 1958 and build it myself but thatโ€™s just me.

For me, it's 100% the Land Cruiser (LC) grade (vs. First Editionโ€”FE). I don't like many of the details on the FE (especially the FE mud flaps) and I much prefer the rectangular lights (they seem to fit the chunk front end better...and I want to squash any retro touches). And I don't want a roof box. I'd prefer the LC grade over the FE even if the pricing was similar. I don't hate the FE...but I for sure don't want one. PS: I'm not a huge fan of the 'Java' interior color (a bit too much "red" in the brown color for me) but I like the idea of a non-black leather interior. And the only way to get a non-black leather interior is to go with the LC grade (vs. FE).

I'm reasonably sure only the FE has real leather, and the Landcruiser grade is the synthetic SofTexยฎ

I personally am hoping for the LC trim with no premium package. In fact i wish I could get it with cloth seats! The LC without premium to FE price jump is pretty massive ($13k) for a lot of things I don't put much personal value into.

Having said that if an LC trim in yellow or blue is offered to me with premium in the next allocation I expect I will YOLO jump on it.

I chose the FE because I like the round headlights and the skid plate, mud flaps, and basket on the roof. I also believe the FE will be worth significantly more down the road when I go to sell it. Only 5,000 of them versus an unlimited number of LC and 1958 trim. But, all of these things seem like personal preferences to me. There are 3 good trim options and we all get to choose. One final note is that the First Editions are made at the Tahara plant (worldโ€™s best) and I am not sure that will be true with the other two trims. Might be. I just donโ€™t know. Seems like there is no bad choice in the line up if you want a Land Cruiser.

Thanks Dr M
My LC shipping info says made in TMC Japan. Any idea where that is?

I chose the FE because I like the round headlights and the skid plate, mud flaps, and basket on the roof. I also believe the FE will be worth significantly more down the road when I go to sell it. Only 5,000 of them versus an unlimited number of LC and 1958 trim. But, all of these things seem like personal preferences to me. There are 3 good trim options and we all get to choose. One final note is that the First Editions are made at the Tahara plant (worldโ€™s best) and I am not sure that will be true with the other two trims. Might be. I just donโ€™t know. Seems like there is no bad choice in the line up if you want a Land Cruiser.
Not true actually. Ive seen FEs from Hino and LCs from Tahara and vice versa

Agreed, it's all personal preference. All of the FE are supposedly built in Tahara, the remainder are split between Hino and Tahara, but who knows. Someone on here noted that VIN numbers with R5 are built in Tahara. I've tested that theory and have found it to hold true.

Last edited:
Not true actually. Ive seen FEs from Hino and LCs from Tahara and vice versa
I have read the First Edition is built in Mexico in the same plant that Dodge used to manufacture the 1984 Aries K Car and the Dodge Caravan. All other new Landcruiser models are built in the Tahara plant in Japan.....

I think the price difference between Fe and Lc trim is about 5K. I really like the look of the Fe must better. When I think about more than halve the people buying the Land Cruiser will be paying the 5K or more in ADMs and add ons. I planned early for the Fe (August of last year) and got mine at MSRP and no port add ons. So for me this is a no brainer. My wife will keep it for 10+ years so getting the exact trim and color was very important.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back