Rhino-Rack is coming for the Land Cruiser!

Rhino-Rack

πŸ“› Founding Member
May 13, 2024
Denver, CO
Hey guys, Weston here with Rhino-Rack. I joined the team recently as their North American Marketing Manager and already hit the ground running with the Land Cruiser. I thought I'd introduce myself, share some plans and offer an aftermarket resource as more of you take delivery. I'll be sure to keep you updated on products (including a slick new rack I'll unveil soon) and will work with the admins on some deals/group buys for the community.

For those of you who don't know, Rhino-Rack is a 30+ year old roof rack and accessory company founded in Australia with some longtime ties to Toyota down under. My goal is spreading the same love that has been growing in the Aussie off-road and overland crowd for the past three decades.

Personally speaking, I've been building Toyotas and Lexuses for the past 15 years and may know a few of you here. You can check out some of my past stuff on www.instagram.com/outworldhq and www.youtube.com/outworld .

We recently had a GX550 in the shop to confirm final fitment of our Pioneer 6 platform which, of course, satisfies both the GX and LC fits. Here's a sneak peak of that rack and a mockup I put together of what I have in mind for our Land Cruiser if I can find an allocation. We're happy to be here and excited to see this community grow!

- Weston

Attachments

• DSC02483.jpg
    DSC02483.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_6816.JPEG
    IMG_6816.JPEG
    116.5 KB · Views: 360
Hey guys, Weston here with Rhino-Rack. I joined the team recently as their North American Marketing Manager and already hit the ground running with the Land Cruiser. I thought I'd introduce myself, share some plans and offer an aftermarket resource as more of you take delivery. I'll be sure to keep you updated on products (including a slick new rack I'll unveil soon) and will work with the admins on some deals/group buys for the community.

For those of you who don't know, Rhino-Rack is a 30+ year old roof rack and accessory company founded in Australia with some longtime ties to Toyota down under. My goal is spreading the same love that has been growing in the Aussie off-road and overland crowd for the past three decades.

Personally speaking, I've been building Toyotas and Lexuses for the past 15 years and may know a few of you here. You can check out some of my past stuff on www.instagram.com/outworldhq and www.youtube.com/outworld .

We recently had a GX550 in the shop to confirm final fitment of our Pioneer 6 platform which, of course, satisfies both the GX and LC fits. Here's a sneak peak of that rack and a mockup I put together of what I have in mind for our Land Cruiser if I can find an allocation. We're happy to be here and excited to see this community grow!

- Weston
Hi Weston, are you considering a full length rack?

Welcome to the forum! Your Land Cruiser mockup looks awesome! :cool:

nice! I have your platform on my current Rubicon and previous Rubicon so looking forward to this new on on the LC/GX.

out of curiosity -what are your static & dynamic load numbers for the LC & GX?

thanks!

330 lbs. dynamic, 825 lbs. static
That's great news! The dynamic of the factory is I think 75kg (165lbs), so you are essentially double. That definitely gives us more options and will be more than enough for the vast majority. Can you comment on why another 2024 LC rack on the market has 700lbs dynamic/1200 static - I feel like that's a lot of difference? I'm curious if it is more rack design or perhaps Toyota guidelines. I'm looking at RTT + maybe kayak + water + fuel and spare tire in front, so I'm approaching 330lbs on full length rack. I'm way over 330lbs in this photo (LC 105 series)!

Attachments

• P1010376.JPG
    P1010376.JPG
    316 KB · Views: 245
That's great news! The dynamic of the factory is I think 75kg (165lbs), so you are essentially double. That definitely gives us more options and will be more than enough for the vast majority. Can you comment on why another 2024 LC rack on the market has 700lbs dynamic/1200 static - I feel like that's a lot of difference? I'm curious if it is more rack design or perhaps Toyota guidelines. I'm looking at RTT + maybe kayak + water + fuel and spare tire in front, so I'm approaching 330lbs on full length rack. I'm way over 330lbs in this photo (LC 105 series)!

Love the 105 - jealous we never got that in the US!

I'm not sure which rack manufacturer that is so tough to comment. I will say our products go through comprehensive testing in the engineering phase and may lean on the conservative side of numbers for safety. Unofficially I would think there's some breathing room. I honestly wouldn't want 700 pounds up on the roof of one of these if I'm using it to its extent.

I'm not sure which rack manufacturer that is so tough to comment.
I was trying to keep the thread on track with your announcement and avoid mentioning other manufacturers by name, but since that's making commenting tough "**The Prinsu Pro Rack is limited by the weight capacity of the vehicle."

So, then your conservative estimate maybe is also not accounting for the full length rack that you are prototyping, which would have extra mount points and higher limits?. I'm too close to 330lbs to go with that as a limit, but again I am in the <1%, so maybe out of target market. I definitely won't go over 400lbs - some hardshell RTTs are pretty heavy though... :)

Yeah that makes sense. I'll have more to report when as we get closer to production and launch.

As long as you're doing flat roads and not leaning into off camber stuff I guess you're fine, but I've traditionally had taller vehicles and do everything I can do counter the center of gravity because of it.

Can any of you comment on the amount of wind noise from a Pioneer rack? I've had a Prinsu on my 200 series for several years and it's pretty quiet but it does have a wind deflector built in whereas the Pioneer does not.

Thanks!

@Rhino-Rack will your rack also have a removable sun roof insert and attachment for aftermarket front and rear lights?

Can any of you comment on the amount of wind noise from a Pioneer rack? I've had a Prinsu on my 200 series for several years and it's pretty quiet but it does have a wind deflector built in whereas the Pioneer does not.

Thanks!
If you want pretty direct feedback - join the Facebook group "Lexus GX 550 Owners" and tag Kim Bo in a post asking about it. She is running it now and could give you her input.

@Rhino-Rack , do you have an estimated cost and ballpark on when the Pioneer will be available?
You can use other Pioneer 6+Backbone pricing as a good estimate, but I'm getting pricing and launch readied now and will make another post when it's good to go.

@Rhino-Rack will your rack also have a removable sun roof insert and attachment for aftermarket front and rear lights?

We have two style racks coming - the Pioneer 6 which is a platform so it wouldn't have a sunroof cutout. The prototype we're unveiling later this summer may have an option that I can touch on in more detail closer to launch.

@Rhino-Rack , One more question: In the render you posted at the top of this thread, it looks like the platform barely makes it past the B Piller. Is that accurate or does it extend further towards the front?

@Rhino-Rack , One more question: In the render you posted at the top of this thread, it looks like the platform barely makes it past the B Piller. Is that accurate or does it extend further towards the front?

Fairly well past. Here are two photos.

Attachments

• DSC02824-3.jpg
    DSC02824-3.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_7086.jpg
    IMG_7086.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 135
Back