Quality Control Delays!!

I’ve got deposits at two different dealerships, in two different states for Heritage Blue, Land Cruiser trim level, premium package with 20” wheels.

Got a call from both dealerships stating my VIN was “randomly” selected for quality control.

Coincidence? I will not be playing the lottery today…

73766178294__42B73D17-7669-4D9C-8EDF-D1C634D9F984.jpeg

If you click on the link you have an arrow by it opens another page that indicates its for 2020 production period Land Cruisers.

Nice Google skills tho

My sales rep also confirmed still a QC Hold today, no change (tho my LC finally made it to port a few days ago, woot woot). He's also gonna look into the hold and see what his contacts say.

A lot of things can fall under Quality Hold that are necessarily build quality.. Could be parts delays, accessories availability, drop ins, etc…

The following post is about QC Holds in general - from a Tundra purchaser - but informative.
----------------------------
I have been in your shoes so let me help shed some light.

In early June of 2022 I also put a grand deposit down on my Tundra. I tracked the truck through the rail system which showed me a ship date of late June and of a delivery date to my local yard of early July. Around the 4th of July the rail showed delivery to my local yard near Cleveland, Ohio. Then the dreaded news from my sales person said it was in QC Hold!
Like you I wanted to know what the heck does this mean!? I did receive my truck on August 11 which is the same day it was shipped from the holding rail yard.

I was fortunate enough to meet a “Local Toyota Engineer “ In the fall of 2022. I had some issues with my Tundra and Toyota was in the area and wanted to take a look at my truck. In that time I asked the engineer about the QC hold process. Long story short Toyota sends out Local Engineers in your region to go to either dealerships and rail yards to perform work on Toyota vehicles that require specifics that your mechanics cannot do.

In our cases the QC holds are because there is a quality or materials or software upgrade/fix from Toyota that became active after the ship date. In my case it was a back up camera issue that had to have a software fix. I told the engineer that my back up camera update could have easily been done by my local Toyota mechanic and the engineer said that it falls under the NTSB regulations that once the vehicles leave the plant they cannot to be sold / released until all vehicles meet the NTSB requirements.

The problem with QC hold is availability of the local Toyota engineers. There is only a handful and we wait until the vehicles are fixed. Unfortunately this is a grey area and the dealer and customers are left in the dark on specifics.

While I tracked my Tundra to the rail yard and it sat for a month! My local dealership received Tundras that were built after mine! It was so frustrating to say the least.

Hope this helps with understanding the QC hold process at least for our vehicles.
Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
Buildn, Jan 28, 2023

Above post copied from the following link.

From a member on the LC FB page:

From my salesman today:

Just touching base, found out what the hold up is. Fixing/checking for a sunroof issue. It might turn into a recall, but yours will be assessed and fixed at the port.
I can confirm this is correct (per my dealer). It's a sunroof issue. No ETA for the fix, as of late yesterday (Friday, 5-24-24)

I can confirm this is correct (per my dealer). It's a sunroof issue. No ETA for the fix, as of late yesterday (Friday, 5-24-24)
Thank you. Crowd sourcing updates definitely beats the black hole lines of communication between TLS, dealers, and customers.

Appreciate the info!

Heard yesterday from my dealer that my 1958 is on the rail from Portland and their FE is still there on QC hold. The 1958 was never on QC hold.

Interesting. I wonder if it fails or leaks. I haven't detected any problems with mine yet.

Heard yesterday from my dealer that my 1958 is on the rail from Portland and their FE is still there on QC hold. The 1958 was never on QC hold.
I can confirm appears that is the case with the 1958 allocation. But also that yep, all the LC & FE are on QC hold.

Last edited:
I think this QC hold is pretty much an inspection and release it. Mine was on QC hold, but it still arrived at the dealership a week early, and they told me come in and buy it.
Interesting, I’d just rather it not leak water or something everywhere.

At my request, my salesperson checked the system at 1:00pm CST today and said "It says no updates and to check back again next Friday at noon".
Disappointing
I think this QC hold is pretty much an inspection and release it. Mine was on QC hold, but it still arrived at the dealership a week early, and they told me come in and buy it.
good to know! Think you are first person that got one after it got QC’d, so maybe the rest will start trickling out soon.

If they have a shortage of mechanics to install skid plates and dashcams, I bet a bunch of us have socket sets and tape measures. Let’s head to Portland and get this thing movin!!!!
They tried that in Gung Ho in 1986 :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: MJE
So what happens if we already took delivery? Mine does have the sunroof
If you took delivery it means that your vin did not have the problem.
Sucks being in purgatory...
Yes, purgatory sucks. My black FE has been in port since April 24th.

I went golfing yesterday and there was a black FE in the parking lot. I was so freaking happy just to see one in person!!! Size it up etc. They look great. They look really solid in person.

Back