Optional black rims

Curious- other than looking super cool- why would widening the stance be helpful from a function perspective? From an off-road perspective wider is not necessarily better in narrow trails etc. and I’m sure mileage will suffer a little (but of course everything beyond stock tires kills mileage as we all know )
 
Curious- other than looking super cool- why would widening the stance be helpful from a function perspective? From an off-road perspective wider is not necessarily better in narrow trails etc. and I’m sure mileage will suffer a little (but of course everything beyond stock tires kills mileage as we all know )
If you are widening the wheel base without widening the vehicle (staying within an offset that remains inside the fender, and not poking) you are effectively increasing surface area at the lowest point on your vehicle. This factors into center of gravity and counters tip-over elements, mostly what is felt by the occupants. It is probably minimal if not increasing tire width and contact patch (which also carries cons), but it does contribute. The key is to not increase the overall width of the vehicle (no poke) if your concern is width of passage. This is easy to maintain with these wheels/offsets.
 
A wider stance can help climb some features that have too steep an approach angle to climb straight on (approach at an angle and let the edge of the tire climb and lift one side first, then turn into the climb)
 
Curious- other than looking super cool- why would widening the stance be helpful from a function perspective? From an off-road perspective wider is not necessarily better in narrow trails etc. and I’m sure mileage will suffer a little (but of course everything beyond stock tires kills mileage as we all know )

I went from OEM 20” wheels with 60 offset to Tacoma TRD wheels with 45 offset, slightly larger and wider tires.

The vehicle feels more planted with the widened track, which comes with slightly noticeable increase in steering effort. I didn’t lift the Land Cruiser (yet), but I would guess the vehicle would be more difficult to tip with wider track.
 
I went from OEM 20” wheels with 60 offset to Tacoma TRD wheels with 45 offset, slightly larger and wider tires.

The vehicle feels more planted with the widened track, which comes with slightly noticeable increase in steering effort. I didn’t lift the Land Cruiser (yet), but I would guess the vehicle would be more difficult to tip with wider track.
in simplified engineering/physics terms The force required to tip an object is called Lateral Force. Contact width is directly proportional to that force required. Object height is inversely proportional. If weight remains constant (also directly proportional) then you are 100% correct in your guess. It is twice half as effective as height. If you increase height by 1/2 inch and widen by 1/2 an inch, you’ve offset the force required to tip an object over. With suspension being flexible this isn’t exact translation, but it holds true within reason.

Edit: as I sit here and think about my old lessons, I think I might have it backwards. I think that height may be doubled in the equation I won’t pretend to have memorized. Not that you asked, but I think that for every inch in height, the offset would be 2 inches in width to maintain stock tip over principles.
 
Last edited:
Many years ago I had to go for certification for driving lift trucks (aka fork lifts). Some of the principles taught in that were the higher the weight, centre of gravity is shifted the more likely tipping over becomes when subjected to lateral forces.

In my Land Cruiser's case, weight has been reduced (ever so slightly), remains at the same approximate height (within 1/2") and track has been widened by a minute amount. Variables have been minimally changed- so close to OEM that it isn't remarkable, but you can feel the minor increase in track in the handling and the steering. This isn't the first vehicle that I have changed the offset on with increase in track width as a consequence. While large degrees of "poke" aren't always legal in all jurisdictions without modifying fenders or at least mud flaps, there are benefits when you lift the vehicle and add weight in building it out.
 
Many years ago I had to go for certification for driving lift trucks (aka fork lifts). Some of the principles taught in that were the higher the weight, centre of gravity is shifted the more likely tipping over becomes when subjected to lateral forces.

In my Land Cruiser's case, weight has been reduced (ever so slightly), remains at the same approximate height (within 1/2") and track has been widened by a minute amount. Variables have been minimally changed- so close to OEM that it isn't remarkable, but you can feel the minor increase in track in the handling and the steering. This isn't the first vehicle that I have changed the offset on with increase in track width as a consequence. While large degrees of "poke" aren't always legal in all jurisdictions without modifying fenders or at least mud flaps, there are benefits when you lift the vehicle and add weight in building it out.
Yeah it makes sense they’d teach weight as a tip-over risk when that weight is above center mass. A fork lift exists to lift additional weight above center mass. If you added a ton of weight at the wheels/tires it would actually increase the forces required to tip over. If you add 500lbs to the roof you are just increasing the potential energy once that requisite force has been satisfied.
 
Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top Bottom