Land Cruiser TRD Pro?

supersix

Administrator
Staff member
๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Jul 7, 2023
Vehicles
2014 4runner, 2021 Bronco
Do you think Toyota will have a TRD Pro model of the new Land Cruiser?

• Admin
Assuming Toyota applies the same strategy used for the new generationTundra, the TRD Pro iteration of the Land Cruiser may be equipped with a Hybrid Twin Turbo engine.

"The TRD Pro is only available with the i-Force MAX powertrain which slots a 48-hp electric motor between the engine and the transmission with a battery mounted beneath the rear seat. The hybrid offers 437 horsepower and a massive 583 pound-feet of torque. The engine is mated to a very smooth shifting 10-speed automatic transmission."

I wouldn't be surprised to see the new Land Cruiser offered in a TRD Pro trim.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the new Land Cruiser offered in a TRD Pro trim.
I,m not thinking so... Exactly what could they add? Drive traIn..? Not! So what could bring this up to some pro level??

I was thinking - if they listen to the customer base - they may come out with a trd pro model (all the off road bells and whistles, non of the premium products like moonroof, leather seats, cool box) and then a โ€œlimitedโ€ or โ€œplatinumโ€ edition that is more on road luxury features (moonroof, leather seats, cool box, maybe better seats, etc.).

I know Iโ€™d like a limited/platinum version as Iโ€™m not an off roader, but want this as a premium daily driver for an active outdoors man / adventure family car.

I saw an interview with a Toyota spox at the LC ride and drive event saying that a TRD Pro was not planned, as the LC is already the pinnacle blah blah. Iโ€™ll see if I can find it.

IMO they'll only offer the 1st Edition this year, and intro the TRD Pro next year with upgraded suspension, engine.

Do you think Toyota will have a TRD Pro model of the new Land Cruiser?
No. I think the LC is targeted towards a more mature audience who isn't as attracted to shiny objects, or who can afford to customize. That said, the FE's are essentially a TRD Pro version without the suspension, so who knows.

No. I think the LC is targeted towards a more mature audience who isn't as attracted to shiny objects, or who can afford to customize. That said, the FE's are essentially a TRD Pro version without the suspension, so who knows.
The problem with the TRD angle for Land Cruiser is the badge conflict. TRD is its own badge and I canโ€™t see Toyota introducing that to conflict with the flagship Land Cruiser badge. I could see something similar to a first edition with some different name or maybe a trail hunter type package I guess.

As they have a GR Land Cruiser 300 series it will likely be GR if anything.

I doubt it. I was thinking the same thing but was hoping for a Trailhunter edition instead. However, I saw a quote somewhere from the head of engineering for Land Cruiser and 4Runner. He basically said the 4Runner, Tacoma, and Tundra's are quintessential American vehicles and the market supports the TRD lineup whereas the Land Cruiser is a global brand and stands on it's own without adding anything to it.

If you think about it, in the past, they only had "Land Cruiser" (plus some packages) but they didn't have Limited, Premium, Platinum, SR5, etc. so it's actually kind of a departure already that they have 3 editions. They've already stated they will only sell 5,000 FE's and my guess is that they will also eventually cut the 1958 edition and be left, once again, with just one version.....the Land Cruiser.

I doubt it. I was thinking the same thing but was hoping for a Trailhunter edition instead. However, I saw a quote somewhere from the head of engineering for Land Cruiser and 4Runner. He basically said the 4Runner, Tacoma, and Tundra's are quintessential American vehicles and the market supports the TRD lineup whereas the Land Cruiser is a global brand and stands on it's own without adding anything to it.

If you think about it, in the past, they only had "Land Cruiser" (plus some packages) but they didn't have Limited, Premium, Platinum, SR5, etc. so it's actually kind of a departure already that they have 3 editions. They've already stated they will only sell 5,000 FE's and my guess is that they will also eventually cut the 1958 edition and be left, once again, with just one version.....the Land Cruiser.
That makes perfect sense.

It appears that Toyota, with the addition of the Trailmaster trim, has turned TRD pro into a more narrowly focused baja/speed off road trim. Not really a fit for the LC.

It appears that Toyota, with the addition of the Trailmaster trim, has turned TRD pro into a more narrowly focused baja/speed off road trim. Not really a fit for the LC.
Iโ€™ll have to be honest though, I do really like the Trailhunter version that comes with 2โ€ lift and Old Man Emu suspension, on board air, sliders, skids, Rigid light bar, etc. all covered by Toyota warranty.

The Land Cruiser is a global product for Toyota and, as such, I donโ€™t see it picking up the TRD Pro or Trailhunter trims, which are largely US market packages. I think the GR trim is more likely since itโ€™s a global moniker.

However, what I really think will happen is more LC-specific trims like the First Edition. There is a nearly bottomless well to draw from here, given the heritage of the nameplate.

Back