First Impressions/Road Trip

kevinpalacio08

📛 Founding Member
Apr 10, 2024
SC
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser First Edition
After picking up my Heritage Blue Land Cruiser last Wednesday, we’ve really been enjoying! It’s very smooth at shifting between gears and really packs a punch with minimal turbo delay. 85% of the first 1000 miles were all on the highway averaging 80mph.

For the positives:
  • The adaptive cruise worked very well pretty much the whole way and even in areas where the lines were almost nonexistent, way better than my 22 Tundra for sure.
  • Wind noise was barley noticeable since we had the JBL speakers bumping, regardless I feel like any car going more than 45mph will have wind noise especially with square mirrors and a roof rack.
  • MPG is only getting better. Started averaging only 15 or so and after 500 miles it’s now averaging 18.5mpg. I’m assuming it’ll keep going up.
For the negatives:
  • I understand the need for all these safety systems Toyota has come up with and some of them I don’t mind keeping them on, but, it should be much easier to be able to turn them all off if I feel like it. The driver inattention feature is probably the most stupidest thing ever in my opinion. You couldn’t look away for more than 2 seconds without it blaring an alert. Anyways I found a way to turn it off. The only other one that I haven’t been able to figure out is the alert for when I want to merge into traffic and it beeps when I creep in from moving cars.
  • Idk if there’s a fix for the vibration in the mirrors and I might have to take it into the dealer. It’s not extreme, but, significant enough that it brought me back to high school when I installed after market tow mirrors on my tundra.
  • A/C won’t turn off if you have cool box on.

Took me a day or two to figure that out.
Other than that really fun/cool car to drive.
Can’t wait to take it off road for the first time and really test drive it. Looking forward to hearing from everyone’s experience so far.

Attachments

• IMG_5197.jpeg
    IMG_5197.jpeg
    362.2 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_5191.jpeg
    IMG_5191.jpeg
    373.1 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_5184.jpeg
    IMG_5184.jpeg
    601.8 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_5180.mov
    18.4 MB
Thanks for taking the time to share. In regards to the driver attention safety feature. When you turn it off, does it stay off after or do you have to turn it back off every time you get in and start a new trip?

After picking up my Heritage Blue Land Cruiser last Wednesday, we’ve really been enjoying! It’s very smooth at shifting between gears and really packs a punch with minimal turbo delay. 85% of the first 1000 miles were all on the highway averaging 80mph.

For the positives:
  • The adaptive cruise worked very well pretty much the whole way and even in areas where the lines were almost nonexistent, way better than my 22 Tundra for sure.
  • Wind noise was barley noticeable since we had the JBL speakers bumping, regardless I feel like any car going more than 45mph will have wind noise especially with square mirrors and a roof rack.
  • MPG is only getting better. Started averaging only 15 or so and after 500 miles it’s now averaging 18.5mpg. I’m assuming it’ll keep going up.
For the negatives:
  • I understand the need for all these safety systems Toyota has come up with and some of them I don’t mind keeping them on, but, it should be much easier to be able to turn them all off if I feel like it. The driver inattention feature is probably the most stupidest thing ever in my opinion. You couldn’t look away for more than 2 seconds without it blaring an alert. Anyways I found a way to turn it off. The only other one that I haven’t been able to figure out is the alert for when I want to merge into traffic and it beeps when I creep in from moving cars.
  • Idk if there’s a fix for the vibration in the mirrors and I might have to take it into the dealer. It’s not extreme, but, significant enough that it brought me back to high school when I installed after market tow mirrors on my tundra.
  • A/C won’t turn off if you have cool box on.

Took me a day or two to figure that out.
Other than that really fun/cool car to drive.
Can’t wait to take it off road for the first time and really test drive it. Looking forward to hearing from everyone’s experience so far.
Thank you for such great info- it’s nice to hear everyone’s experiences behind the wheel - like someone else said - we are all waiting and most can’t even test drive it. So this is helpful

Thanks for taking the time to share. In regards to the driver attention safety feature. When you turn it off, does it stay off after or do you have to turn it back off every time you get in and start a new trip?
Forgot to ask this, good question because my daughters Subaru Outback has this feature and it’s in the background constantly during our chats.. constantly 😬

Of course! After turning off it stays off from what I’ve noticed.

When did you notice the engine turning off and for how long ?
As I said before during a 20min drive with Tundra iForce Max the engine never turned off when the car was moving despite my efforts....

Low speeds and you can notice it way more if the AC is off

The mirror issue might be due to wind speed/direction that day. Especially is the wind comes at a specific angle. I get that issue on my 4Runner sometimes so it's not limited to the LC.

I drove about 250 miles back from Nederland to Austin today in a First Edition. I didn’t totally baby it but didn’t go all out. A lot of stop and go but I got about 19 mpg. Dealer told me it takes regular gas but I filled up at half a tank of premium because that’s what the gas cap calls for.

Good:
It’s plenty quick for an off road SUV. Much faster than my old truck or my son’s 4-runner. The drivetrain doesnt feel like a four cylinder at all.

The interior is fantastic and intuitive. Seats are really comfortable.

It looks even prettier in person.

I think the gas mileage is going to be accurate once it’s broken in.-

Steering and handling are very good.

Turbo lag wasn’t an issue, but you can sometimes feel the turbo let off when you slow down. Otherwise transmission is seamless.

It feels right. Doors are solid. Everything feels Japan built.

Bad:
It’s smaller than I thought. It appears smaller than the four runner (it’s not but it looks that way).

Because of the upright windshield, wind noise is definitely a thing.

Back seat headrests create blind spots when looking over your shoulder.

The nanny crap is pretty annoying.

IMG_3176.jpeg

Last edited:
I drove about 250 miles back from Nederland to Austin today in a First Edition. I didn’t totally baby it but didn’t go all out. A lot of stop and go but I got about 19 mpg. Dealer told me it takes regular gas but I filled up at half a tank of premium because that’s what the gas cap calls for.

Good:
It’s plenty quick for an off road SUV. Much faster than my old truck or my son’s 4-runner. The drivetrain doesnt feel like a four cylinder at all.

Turbo lag wasn’t an issue, but you can sometimes feel the turbo let off when you slow down. Otherwise transmission is seamless.

Bad:
It’s smaller than I thought. It appears smaller than the four runner (it’s not but it looks that way).

View attachment 2326
Was yours on QC at all?

Was yours on QC at all?
Doesn’t appear so. I found it online yesterday, messaged the dealer, heard right back. They had had it at 10K over list with no takers. Nederland/port Arthur isn’t a super affluent part of the state. So they cut the price 8K and were trying to move it. I left Austin early this morning bc meteor shower with round lights was my honey hole. A little more than I planned on spending but it is really, really nice inside.

How is wind noise for the roof rack - notice anything?
I didn’t notice anything. And it was pretty windy in southeast Texas late morning.

Forgot to add, one thing I wish they’d done is have a bigger fuel tank. Range isn’t going to be there without a Jerry can if you go far (like west Texas).

Good:

Bad:

View attachment 2326
Thanks for sharing the drive experience. Meteor shower looks very good.
Not sure if you have a passenger with you, wondering if you were able to have conversation with the wind noise? From 1-10, how annoying is the wind noise?

I posted the following in another thread. The forum moderator suggested that I post it here for others to see and perhaps respond to. I first thought this was engine or stability system software related, but ………….

The more I drive the LC, the more I think the hesitation/bumpiness that I am feeling is tire related. It feels like a jiggle of the driver's seat. IIRC, this is the feeling you get when the rear wheels are out of alignment. As I'm sure a brand new vehicle's wheels are not out of alignment, I looked further into the tires.

The sticker on the door jamb call for tire inflation to be 36 psi. The actual tire pressure was 40 psi when the vehicle was delivered by the dealer. I reduced the pressure of all tires to 37 and notice an improved ride. There is more dampening of road cracks and holes than when the inflation was 40. The hesitation/jiggling (even on smooth roads) is reduced but not completely gone. I will try a bit more pressure reduction.

Thoughts anyone?

I posted the following in another thread. The forum moderator suggested that I post it here for others to see and perhaps respond to. I first thought this was engine or stability system software related, but ………….

The more I drive the LC, the more I think the hesitation/bumpiness that I am feeling is tire related. It feels like a jiggle of the driver's seat. IIRC, this is the feeling you get when the rear wheels are out of alignment. As I'm sure a brand new vehicle's wheels are not out of alignment, I looked further into the tires.

The sticker on the door jamb call for tire inflation to be 36 psi. The actual tire pressure was 40 psi when the vehicle was delivered by the dealer. I reduced the pressure of all tires to 37 and notice an improved ride. There is more dampening of road cracks and holes than when the inflation was 40. The hesitation/jiggling (even on smooth roads) is reduced but not completely gone. I will try a bit more pressure reduction.

Thoughts anyone?
Wow thanks for this . Very helpful

Thoughts anyone?
Hmmm, my door jam says 33 psi and I looked in the manual and for all three versions of tires offered the manual states 33 psi

Back