Finally test drove an LC!

MudNGuts

đź“› Founding Member
Mar 20, 2024
SW Utah
Vehicles
2021 4Runner TRD Pro
While visiting my wife's family 500 miles from my home, I discovered that the dealer in Idaho Falls had a 1958 they'd let me test drive for 15 minutes! I think the test drive was my reward for hauling her all that way!

My current vehicle is a 2021 4Runner TRD Pro plus I've had 2 previous 4Runners and an FJ. With that background, I was anxious to see if the LC was actually any different that my 4Runner experience. It was. First of all, after jacking up the manual driver's seat, I didn't have to peer over the hood scoop and had much better visibility of the road ahead. All of the driving mode buttons/knobs were right at my fingertips rather than up up by the mirror. The drivers seat for very comfortable and general visibility was much better. Closing the doors resulted in a very solid "thud" and everything felt sturdy and durable.

Once underway, I noticed:
Surprisingly pleasant exhaust note (compared to the bass drone of my TRD Pro)​
Light steering​
Sensitive brakes​
Eager throttle response​
Comparative rock solid ride compared to Titanic-like swaying of the 4Runner​
Intuitive handling​
A couple minor attempted "nanny corrections"''​
More elevated seating position​
I was absolutely giddy after my short test drive and am confident the LC will equally surprise me off road. I'm even more anxious to swap the 4Runner now. Sadly, it'll probably be at least another 6 months!:cry:

By the way, that 1958 is available at Teton Toyota.

Attachments

• IMG_4903.jpg
    IMG_4903.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 104
Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing. I have one coming in Aug but can’t wait to test drive as well. There’s a dealer across the street from me that will be getting a 1958 and I’ll see if they’ll let me test drive when it gets in. I’m not buying from them because they’re charging $10k markup. :(

Thanks for the assessment! Only a 1958 trim there? Teton Toyota does not do markups, but it is definitely a very well-choreographed dealer. They meet one in the lot, and do "hand-offs" if the initial salesperson is not making headway. A bit too aggressive for my taste. We have a Land Cruiser/Premium Package on order here in Rexburg.

Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing. I have one coming in Aug but can’t wait to test drive as well. There’s a dealer across the street from me that will be getting a 1958 and I’ll see if they’ll let me test drive when it gets in. I’m not buying from them because they’re charging $10k markup. :(
$10K over for A 1958 trim??? Insane! Greed...

Thanks for the assessment! Only a 1958 trim there? Teton Toyota does not do markups, but it is definitely a very well-choreographed dealer. They meet one in the lot, and do "hand-offs" if the initial salesperson is not making headway. A bit too aggressive for my taste. We have a Land Cruiser/Premium Package on order here in Rexburg.
So...Nuke, does your handle suggest that you work at "the site"?? My wife was born and raised in Rexburg and her now 99-year old father used to work at Stone's. We bought a '97 RAV4 there from Jason. He's probably old and gray by now. We lived there from 92-99.

Anyway, I totally agree that you've got to be comfortable with a dealership's style and practices. I almost cringe when I go down to the St George dealership for service or to see what they have in inventory. It often feels like I'm in danger of getting screwed or that they don't really care about what I want or my concerns.

We visited my wife's Dad in Rexburg and drove by Stone's. I slowed way down on that crazy busy road but didn't notice an LC outside.

So...what color? I've got my name on 2 waiting lists for a trail dust LC with as few options as possible.

Speaking of Rexburg, we picked up a 1958 there last week at MSRP. Originally they wanted $10k markup but I bought it for not a penny over MSRP. Very simple and smooth transaction. We used to live in Rexburg years ago and have actually bought a few vehicles from them over the years.
Land Cruisers are popping up now, you just need to search. I had a 1958 on reserve in Casper WY at MSRP. Should arrive by the end of the month.
We’ve been impressed with it so far. We went back and forth on a LC and a 4Runner. I’ve always wanted a Land Cruiser and we liked the improved mpg. It has impressive road manners.

OP thanks for your review. Having owned a FJ Cruiser and a 4Runner just curious on the power output. Would you say:
1. Pleasantly pleased on more response
2. Comparable to past vehicles
3. Adequate but not overwhelmed
4.. Not happy.

I can understand the height adjustment being a huge plus.

While visiting my wife's family 500 miles from my home, I discovered that the dealer in Idaho Falls had a 1958 they'd let me test drive for 15 minutes! I think the test drive was my reward for hauling her all that way!

My current vehicle is a 2021 4Runner TRD Pro plus I've had 2 previous 4Runners and an FJ. With that background, I was anxious to see if the LC was actually any different that my 4Runner experience. It was. First of all, after jacking up the manual driver's seat, I didn't have to peer over the hood scoop and had much better visibility of the road ahead. All of the driving mode buttons/knobs were right at my fingertips rather than up up by the mirror. The drivers seat for very comfortable and general visibility was much better. Closing the doors resulted in a very solid "thud" and everything felt sturdy and durable.

Once underway, I noticed:
Surprisingly pleasant exhaust note (compared to the bass drone of my TRD Pro)​
Light steering​
Sensitive brakes​
Eager throttle response​
Comparative rock solid ride compared to Titanic-like swaying of the 4Runner​
Intuitive handling​
A couple minor attempted "nanny corrections"''​
More elevated seating position​
I was absolutely giddy after my short test drive and am confident the LC will equally surprise me off road. I'm even more anxious to swap the 4Runner now. Sadly, it'll probably be at least another 6 months!:cry:

By the way, that 1958 is available at Teton Toyota.
Great write up. Thanks for sharing

OP thanks for your review. Having owned a FJ Cruiser and a 4Runner just curious on the power output. Would you say:
1. Pleasantly pleased on more response
2. Comparable to past vehicles
3. Adequate but not overwhelmed
4.. Not happy.

I can understand the height adjustment being a huge plus.
FJ432...thanks for the questions as they help me clarify my driving experience. In response to your insightful list:
1. Based on on-line reviews I was mentally prepared for how responsive the drivetrain would be. The LC accelerated easily and I actually kind of liked the exhaust note (remember that I'm driving a 4Runner TRD Pro).
2. if past Toyota vehicles (3 4Runners, an FJ and RAV4) are the benchmark, I felt like a teenager in love with the new girl in my high school class. SO solid and purposeful...
3. Well, overwhelmed is a bit much but WAY past adequate. I was even more excited about being on the list to get an LC.
4. My wife, who is very tolerant and patient, was happy to see that I was so excited about swapping my 4Runner for an LC.

So, now I am having even more trouble waiting but figure that since I'm putting $$ in my "LC fund" saving account each month, the closer I am to paying cash.

Back