Anyone considering the 2024 Tacoma?

supersix

Administrator
Staff member
πŸ“› Founding Member
Jul 7, 2023
Vehicles
2014 4runner, 2021 Bronco
If the new Land Cruiser becomes difficult to purchase due to demand, is anyone thinking about opting for the upcoming 2024 Tacoma instead?

Considered it, briefly. However, I place a high priority on a vehicle built in Japan, vs Mexico. Also considering the GX 550. With the markups our dealer has mentions on the LC, the GX might be a better option, especially the off-roading trims, which are not even offered on the LC. My gut feel is it has something to do with competing with the well-selling 4Runner, or even its forthcoming replacement.

Last edited:
Discussion on the Tacoma forums suggest we'll see a raft of Youtube reviews on 28-Nov-2023 with the online configurator going live shortly thereafter. However, it appears the hybrid trims may not be ready yet. My current expectations for the first hybrid delivery is around the April 2024 timeframe. The Tacoma is too big for my garage, so my evaluation ends there.

The Tacoma is too big for my garage, so my evaluation ends there.
I can squeeze the Tacoma into our garage, but for me the long wheelbase is not great for maneuverability while off-roading. One particular "road" we do often, to the top of a mountain, has many switch-backs, and I do not like backing up to make the turns. A 2-door Wranger does it best, but cannot go that route. Need the reliability of a Toyota!

I can squeeze the Tacoma into our garage, but for me the long wheelbase is not great for maneuverability while off-roading. One particular "road" we do often, to the top of a mountain, has many switch-backs, and I do not like backing up to make the turns. A 2-door Wranger does it best, but cannot go that route. Need the reliability of a Toyota!
Good point. We have a notorious road nearby in the Cascades that took the life of a guy last year in a full size truck trying to navigate the switchbacks. His rig had to be extracted by helicopter.

Limited trim only has the center differential with full-time 4WD. This would be my choice in snow/ice country. And of course the LC has it in all three trims, but, sadly, no off-roading trims as available on the GX 550. Possibly on the LC with packages when details/pricing are announced?

I'll be watching the Tacoma closely, but not directly for cross-shopping. Sounding like Tacoma will share much w/ the new 4Runner which I would be considering if my needs may be better served going down f/ the Land Cruiser.

Regarding Tacoma, I've really appreciated Sheldon Brown's (Tacoma Lead Engineer) commentary. Looks like the chief engineer for the LC is Keita Moritsu whom recently did an interview w/ David Chao (Automotive Press) here. I'm assuming that's an equivalent position to Mr. Brown's. As we get closer to more substantial information, I would really like to see similar technical conversation from Mr. Moritsu or anyone else significantly involved in the design of the Land Cruiser. Of course, I'm considering MSRP like anyone else, but I can certainly be "sold" to continue the LC direction if there remains notable difference between the 4Runner and Land Cruiser regarding build quality and equipment. With what we know about the LC and Tacoma at this point, I'm assuming both the LC & 4Runner would be "ready-to-go" for off-roading w/ a set of wheels and tires but I'm very interested in seeing the more technical differences between the two:
  • Front/Rear Differentials & Axles
  • Transfer Case
  • Gear Ratios
  • Brake/Rotor sizing (can I reduce to a 17" wheel w/ bigger tires? - Looking to not be the case on the Land Cruiser with those big brakes)
  • Provisions for aux switches (not seeing provisions in the LC though, compared to Tacoma, we've had much less info on the LC regarding these kinds of options/equipment)
As @Nuke mentioned, looks like the Tacoma limited is getting the full-time awd function? I'm actually surprised it was offered on any Tacomas - do we know if that center differential is lockable (also, is it the same center-diff as the LC?)?

Did I notice somewhere that the new LC will be getting an aluminum front differential case? How about the Tacoma?

Sheldon Brown surprised me with some unconventional aluminum parts on the new Tacoma as reported in a Youtube interview, and I'm hopeful we'll see the same on the LC.

Sheldon Brown surprised me with some unconventional aluminum parts on the new Tacoma as reported in a Youtube interview, and I'm hopeful we'll see the same on the LC.
Definitely cuts down on the weight, but my concern would be the strength. However, they have been using aluminum transfer cases for many years, not to mention transmission cases. Robust skid plates would be essential!

Last edited:
If the new Land Cruiser becomes difficult to purchase due to demand, is anyone thinking about opting for the upcoming 2024 Tacoma instead?

Not even. There is a big difference between a "SUV" and a pickup. I seem to have rotated between the 2 over the years, swapping between them after each vehicle, for what is now 50 years.

Have had a Tacoma for the last 10

23690103720_24e6a511c8_b.jpg

I even tried to turn a Taco into a LC with the grill LOL.

A SUV handles traction in the snow better. Period, even with a fiberglass topper and carrying sandbags tied down to prevent them from being missile hazzards. Pros and Cons to both but at this time in my life I'm going to say that the weight distribution of a SUV is better especially off road. Doesn't have to be snow either.

That is based on half a Century of off roading around the Country and in the Sunset Country of Canada. It is also personal preference, another person's needs might be different.

Tonight drove home a 2019 GX 460 that I now own. Still torn between the new Land Cruiser and what I just purchased. Crawl Control, KDSS, MTS, air lift, and more luxury than I could ever dream about. And the ride... It is also the first V8 I have owned in many years no complaints there and willing to pay for the fuel. Actually same MPG as the Taco 4.0 according to the Ultragauge I installed the first month I got it. Better than a Chevy 4 bolt main crank, overbored .030 with a Holley 650 carb. Shoehorned into a FJ55 with a Man A Free conversion kit long before the internet. I acid dipped the block at the time, that is not going to happen today.

The original sticker was in the glove box, ~$70,500. I got it for roughly half that with 40K on it.

Already thinking in 4.5-5 years the GX550 overland leases will be expiring and there are going to be some REAL bargains to be had.

The dealer had a 76 FJ55 on the floor. Not for sale.

53337210679_6b0e7c945a_b.jpg

Mine was a 77 and solid white

23444438242_b2e56ef7bd.jpg

Looking at the showroom floor FJ55 I remembered just how primitive they were compared to the vehicles today. And I want comfort now, even off road but especially on. @Nuke knows what I am talking about....

What is now in my driveway along with my Taco

53334836205_392b0e85b2_b.jpg

Really don't want to make any changes if I am going to trade it in on a new Land Cruiser in the Spring. The salesman verified that I am #2 on the list for one. But with black Friday sales coming up soon think I know where I am headed

53337114083_f0a69c85ba_b.jpg

Don't need a roof rack to catch branches though. They are for people that don't traverse areas that are lousy with chlorophyll :p

Good point. We have a notorious road nearby in the Cascades that took the life of a guy last year in a full size truck trying to navigate the switchbacks. His rig had to be extracted by helicopter.

Olympics rule, Cascades drool. Sorry couldn't help myself. Spent a lot of time in both and love them both. Was a long time ago, early 80's, in a friends crew cab truck he was a spud phucker from Idaho. His father owned a logging company and gave him the truck after it was pretty much wore out. Looking back it is a wonder that I am still alive today considering where we went in that beast. The size of it gave true meaning to Crew Cab. More than once while he was driving he would ask me how much room do I have on that side, I'd open the door and be looking thousands of feet straight down. It made me really appreciate my FJ55 even more. In fact haven't had a full size rig since then.

I currently have a Tacoma and did briefly consider the new one if I could get it with a manual transmission. One of the things I dislike on my current truck is that the automatic transmission at highway speeds fights to stay in lower gears.
However as someone above stated about the Land Cruiser being built in Japan really is a big deal. I owned a FJ back around 2008 and that thing was bulletproof and built in Japan. I regret getting rid of it and am hopeful the Land Cruiser will be as good.

Already have one tacoma in the family. Looking for a SUV or such type next. Be it this, or another maker of similar size.

YES. My waiting list deposit at my dealership can be applied to either one of my choosing. But the Tacoma's my 2nd choice. I drive a pickup now, and really want the LC because it fits better in my garage, and the fishing gear, etc. doesn't get dusty on gravel roads throwing it in the back box.

Pricing is out today. Here's a complete pricing breakdown for the 2024 Tacoma's many trims, including the $1495 destination fee:

• SR XtraCab 4x2: $32,995
  • SR Double Cab 4x2: $35,195
  • SR XtraCab 4x4: $36,195
  • SR5 XtraCab 4x2: $37,695
  • SR Double Cab 4x4: $38,395
  • SR Double Cab 4x4 6MT: $38,395
  • SR5 Double Cab 4x2: $38,695
  • SR5 Double Cab 4x2 6’ Bed: $39,915
  • TRD PreRunner XtraCab 4x2: $39,595
  • SR5 XtraCab 4x4: $40,895
  • TRD Sport Double Cab 4x2: $40,895
  • TRD Sport Double Cab 4x2 6' Bed: $41,395
  • SR5 Double Cab 4x4: $41,895
  • SR5 Double Cab 4x4 6' Bed: $42,395
  • TRD Sport Double Cab 4x4 6MT: $43,295
  • TRD Off-Road Double Cab 4x4 6MT: $43,295
  • TRD Sport Double Cab 4x4: $44,095
  • TRD Off-Road Double Cab 4x4: $44,395
  • TRD Sport Double Cab 4x4 6' Bed: $44,595
  • TRD Off-Road Double Cab 4x4: 6' Bed $44,895
  • Limited Double Cab 4x4: $53,595

The 2024 Toyota Tacoma ($46,950 starting in Canada, $34,700 starting in the US) is a brand new iteration of the popular mid-size pickup. New for this model year are several different trims - each customized for their intended purpose down to suspension options and features. Two engine choices will be made available, both hybrid and gasoline with a 2.4L turbo 4-cylinder. The non-hybrid trims make a strong 278 horsepower and 317 lb ft of torque, with a maximum available towing capacity of 6500 lbs. But how is it to drive? And is a mid-size truck all the truck that most people truly need? Thomas and James are excited to find out! We hope you enjoy the episode.

Back