Any news from dealers?

Jeffersbk

πŸ“› Founding Member
Aug 7, 2023
Greer, SC
Vehicles
22 Bronco Badlands, Toyota Highlander, Ranger Tremor
I am new to the forum but a longtime Toyota fan. I have had countless Toyotas from Tacomas, FJ Cruiser, Highlander, 4Runner and even a Camry. Since the new Bronco was released, I got on the list day one and have since owned 2 Bronco Badlands. I could not be more excited about the Land Cruiser release. Has anyone been to their dealer to enquire about getting put on a list? I have not had the time yet. I have 4 dealers within 15 miles of my house and all their lots are basically empty. I am trying to be optimistic that owning a new LC is a possibility, just wondering if anyone has gotten dealer feedback.

Yes, am allegedly first on the list at our dealer from whom we have purchased two Toyotas recently, whatever that counts for. Checked in a couple of days ago, and inquired about the First Edition. Was told $10K over MSRP. Even during the shortage of vehicles, they never went over MSRP. Greed! I became loud, to the point of the attention of the sales manager, but he offered no conciliation.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum @Jeffersbk 🍻

I'm first on the waiting list at MSRP. I called the minute I saw the first teaser from Toyota! Hopefully Toyota handles the launch of the new Land Cruiser better then Ford did with the Bronco.

Yes, am allegedly first on the list at our dealer from whom we have purchased two Toyotas recently, whatever that counts for. Checked in a couple of days ago, and inquired about the First Edition. Was told $10K over MSRP. Even during the shortage of vehicles, they never went over MSRP. Greed! I became loud, to the point of the attention of the sales manager, but he offered no conciliation.
I read that you can now order a Ford from Ford Motor Co. directly thereby cutting out the dealer greed factor. Toyota might want to follow suit for customer satisfaction.

I read that you can now order a Ford from Ford Motor Co. directly thereby cutting out the dealer greed factor. Toyota might want to follow suit for customer satisfaction.
Come to think of it, I did read where Toyota may be considering the same method of marketing. Bring it on!!! Besides, dealers cry that their revenue stream is not new car sales, but used vehicles and service. This may be a step in that direction SmartPath - How it Works | Toyota

My understanding is that blatant charging over MSRP is not confined by the Toyota dealer system Get your deposit back and go to a more reputable dealer

Like many on this I am supposedly first on my dealers allocation β€” deposit paid β€” MSRP awaiting the pricing options and then how close they can find what is am looking for!!!

My understanding is that blatant charging over MSRP is not confined by the Toyota dealer system Get your deposit back and go to a more reputable dealer

Like many on this I am supposedly first on my dealers allocation β€” deposit paid β€” MSRP awaiting the pricing options and then how close they can find what is am looking for!!!
Good advice. Thankfully, no deposit has been paid. In fact, they refused a deposit, saying it would not be accepted until the LC was on their ordering system. At 81, I think they are playing me a bit. As mentioned elsewhere, at $10K over MSRP why not opt for a 2024 Lexus GX? I'm sure it will be a quieter and much better appointed vehicle, and I prefer the frontal styling. In fact, have been in contact with the Lexus dealer (unfortunately, 4 hours distant), and they sound much more up front than our local Toyota/Ram/Jeep dealer.

Why not opt for a 2024 Lexus GX?

Because I don't want all that extra "crap" that I couldn't care less about. I love the back to basics attitude of the LC 1958.

From what I've read, it seems these will be available at MSRP. Time will tell.

Why not opt for a 2024 Lexus GX?

Because I don't want all that extra "crap" that I couldn't care less about. I love the back to basics attitude of the LC 1958.

From what I've read, it seems these will be available at MSRP. Time will tell.
Viewing the reviews at the SLC show, the 1958 is severely trimmed back, to the point of hard plastics virtually everywhere. It may be one road-noisy machine. Don't know if I could become that basic unless just for an off-roading machine, and an estimated $55K off-road machine at that. However, the Wrangler and Bronco are not exactly cheap either, and noisy.

Viewing the reviews at the SLC show, the 1958 is severely trimmed back, to the point of hard plastics virtually everywhere. It may be one road-noisy machine. Don't know if I could become that basic unless just for an off-roading machine, and an estimated $55K off-road machine at that. However, the Wrangler and Bronco are not exactly cheap either, and noisy.
Having had several Gladiators and 2 Broncos, Toyota would have to do very little to surpass the quality aspect on either. I really like the 1958 model and even at the entry level I expect it will be an exceptional ride. The 1958 is really all I am interested in as I will probably heavily modify it right after purchase. New Katzkins seats, Nomad wheels and some nice AT tires

Exactly my concern as well. As you get older that road noise is irritating. My Polaris Ranger Northstar Trailboss is my true off roading machine and I put noise isolation foam all around it, spent a week and 2 weekends killing noise in it. And a low rpm tune. All the younger cool kids go the other way.

My 77 FJ55 I bought in 79 was pretty basic LOL, the Ex called it the beast. After I got married it was the first thing to go. 21 years later she left to go find herself. I don't miss her but sure do miss the Iron Pig. On the other hand I have changed a lot since then and would have a hard time going too far back to basics.

I've been looking at the 2024 GX 550 as well, just in case the Land Cruiser or Land Cruiser First Edition is too much in price. But have a hard time believing I could take a Lexus on the off road trails where I can't run the UTV due to restrictions. A Land Cruiser is just begging to go there.

The antenna to my Taco is some place down this road.

23404942135_d366d04ccb_b.jpg

Along with about 5 pounds of its paint. And that is a 10 mile long road, not a trail.

But there are ruff grouse back in there and the dogs tell me we must go find them.

Can you send me a link for more info on this? It's illegal in some states to do that I believe.

Can you send me a link for more info on this? It's illegal in some states to do that I believe.
This may be the case here in Idaho, at least that is what my Toyota/Ram/Jeep dealer alleges. Of course they allege a lot of things. Today I was told the reason for markups is to stop resellers, also alleging they had the blessing of Toyota for this practice. For a committed known customer order with a deposit, this holds no credence with me. Still profiteering in my eyes.

Last edited:
This may be case here in Idaho, at least that is what my Toyota/Ram/Jeep dealer alleges. Of course they allege a lot of things. Today I was told the reason for markups is to stop resellers, also alleging they had the blessing of Toyota for this practice. For a committed known customer order with a deposit, this holds no credence with me. Still profiteering in my eyes.

On really limited models a lot of dealerships are charging markups past MSRP. It's gotten out of hand lately. Just like the tipping culture has gotten out of hand lately.

Having had several Gladiators and 2 Broncos, Toyota would have to do very little to surpass the quality aspect on either. I really like the 1958 model and even at the entry level I expect it will be an exceptional ride. The 1958 is really all I am interested in as I will probably heavily modify it right after purchase. New Katzkins seats, Nomad wheels and some nice AT tires
I had Katzkins on my 2011 4Runner Trail. Excellent quality. It took me forever to vacuum German Shepherd fur off the stock Storm Cloth seats.

I have memories of riding in a LC 40 model in the 1970s, through the redwood forests on logging trails of Northern California. That LC was indestructible, up hills, through streams, ...wow. I want one. Can't wait to order the new 1958 model. Sooo cool.

Back