Whistle from HVAC while in footwell-only mode

Not that loud but I did notice it on my LC 1958 Edition as well. Will call toyota and raise it to do my part.
 
also noticed this with less than 10 miles on the clock, they're definitely still whistlin' from the factory
 
My LC does it, my F150 does it too.

*Pax side on my LC.

My overhead rear ones can be obnoxious as well.
 
Anyone figure this out? I just got mine 3 weeks ago (manufactured in August) and noticed this today. Also, I get strong airflow from the windshield vents when set to floor only (and pretty weak floor vent flow), which I assume is the same for everyone on this thread.

I’ve been getting light condensation on the moonroof (inside cabin) and thought these might be related. Checking this site for a “condensation” thread too.

Other than those two issues, I love the rig. A bit of bummer to pay this much and have to deal with these issues.
 
Last edited:
Anyone figure this out? I just got mine 3 weeks ago (manufactured in August) and noticed this today. Also, I get strong airflow from the windshield vents when set to floor only (and pretty weak floor vent flow), which I assume is the same for everyone on this thread.

I’ve been getting light condensation on the moonroof (inside cabin) and thought these might be related. Checking this site for a “condensation” thread too.

Other than those two issues, I love the rig. A bit of bummer to pay this much and have to deal with these issues.
Welcome to the asylum.
 
I replaced the cabin air filter and the sound stopped.
 
Anyone figure this out? I just got mine 3 weeks ago (manufactured in August) and noticed this today. Also, I get strong airflow from the windshield vents when set to floor only (and pretty weak floor vent flow), which I assume is the same for everyone on this thread.

I’ve been getting light condensation on the moonroof (inside cabin) and thought these might be related. Checking this site for a “condensation” thread too.

Other than those two issues, I love the rig. A bit of bummer to pay this much and have to deal with these issues.
There doesn't appear to be a solution. Most dealers say 'they all do that'. Corporate just records the complaints but nothing has come from them. The telling part here is that trucks are rolling off the assembly line 1 year later (yours vs mine) with the same issue. It's a disappointing 'new design' issue but at least its not something like the transmissions eating themselves (yet??).

No thoughts on the moonroof condensation. Likely a transient issue.
 
There doesn't appear to be a solution. Most dealers say 'they all do that'. Corporate just records the complaints but nothing has come from them. The telling part here is that trucks are rolling off the assembly line 1 year later (yours vs mine) with the same issue. It's a disappointing 'new design' issue but at least its not something like the transmissions eating themselves (yet??).

No thoughts on the moonroof condensation. Likely a transient issue.
Thank you. It's pretty great there is a community here to address these things.

I have been in communication with Toyota - I have an open case - so I will relay all this info to them and let them know it's not just me. I don't like this issue, but I also don't want my dash ripped up to fix it. Hopefully there is another solution. I will make sure to post back here if I get anywhere, or if I don't.
 
Did you replace with an OEM filter?
I did not. I will be changing it soon just due to maintenance. The fact that the sound is coming largely just from the center dash vent (why not the others?), and the sound changes as the air flow selection changes, I really doubt the cabin filter is in play. Never say never and never say always, but it doesn't seem likely to me.
 
I did not. I will be changing it soon just due to maintenance. The fact that the sound is coming largely just from the center dash vent (why not the others?), and the sound changes as the air flow selection changes, I really doubt the cabin filter is in play. Never say never and never say always, but it doesn't seem likely to me.
Agreed. Mine only comes from driver side center vent. Shut that off and no more sound. Leave it open and it is loud as anything. put hand over it and it goes away. I showed it to the dealer and nothing.
 
I did not. I will be changing it soon just due to maintenance. The fact that the sound is coming largely just from the center dash vent (why not the others?), and the sound changes as the air flow selection changes, I really doubt the cabin filter is in play. Never say never and never say always, but it doesn't seem likely to me.
I agree, it seems unlikely. (I was posing the question to @robsurfskate who said it worked for him.) I did replace the factory installed cabin air filter with a new OEM filter last week. It didn't help. In addition to the noise and airflow coming from the windshield/defrost vents when in footwell mode only, I get a whistling from behind the glove box when set to dash only, which is intermittent and seems to happen when the truck is cold - like first thing in the morning. I think there's another string about that somewhere on here.
 
Last edited:
Finally cold enough to use the heater, I def have this problem as well. I thought it is as defective, crazy.. glad I'm not alone.
 
Just posting an update here - I got pretty much nowhere with the dealer. They spent about 30 seconds listening and said it sounded normal. I have my 5K coming up and I will do that at a different dealer and ask them to check it out at that time.
 
1769785533170.webp
 
Just posting an update here - I got pretty much nowhere with the dealer. They spent about 30 seconds listening and said it sounded normal. I have my 5K coming up and I will do that at a different dealer and ask them to check it out at that time.
It appears to be a common issue with the LC's. It does go away after it warms up. I typically just direct the heat towards the face as it warms and keep the fan motor low. I also turn the rear air way down/off.

I'd be very hesitant to have the Toyota dealer start tearing apart the dash....
 
It appears to be a common issue with the LC's. It does go away after it warms up. I typically just direct the heat towards the face as it warms and keep the fan motor low. I also turn the rear air way down/off.

I'd be very hesitant to have the Toyota dealer start tearing apart the dash....
I agree - definitely goes away after it warms up. I think that's one reason the dealer spent almost no time looking into it - the truck was warm when I was showing them.

Just curious — does anyone else hear a pump-like sound when the HVAC is on? With the stereo down/off and the truck parked or stopped, I hear a whir that runs for about 10–15 seconds, winds down, then starts again. Sounds like some kind of pump. I assume it’s normal, but wanted to see if others notice the same thing.
 
Last edited:
Supporting Vendors View all →
M&R Automotive
Back
Top Bottom