toyo open country a/t III 275 vs 285

allemt

Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2025
Messages
38
Media
5
Reaction score
12
Location
Midwest
Vehicles
2016 4runner
I’ve decided on toyo open country a/t iii ev 275/65r18, is moving to a 285 gonna look that much better? Will the fuel loss be worth it?

I’m 80/20 highway and light duty two track stuff.
 
The cost difference could be considered. The 275s if you can find pictures are going to be close to stock size. Some drivers would not consider them an upgrade regardless of their specs or performance.
 
80% highway and you buy tires for looks???really?? How do LOOKs affect the driveability is the better question? 275s plenty. I see a lot of oversized tired pickups etc out thee and frankly to me its is like an IQ test..........but bigger does not mean higher. And,damn, some of those tires are pure noise pollution like Harleys. You were honest and said 80:20. That should guide you. If you said 20:80, you live on dirt roads and go off roading every week, different answer. The you would be willing to live with the noise.
And no, I'd never drive my DotRs on the street because they look cool....ride quality sucks!
 
80% highway and you buy tires for looks???really?? How do LOOKs affect the driveability is the better question? 275s plenty. I see a lot of oversized tired pickups etc out thee and frankly to me its is like an IQ test..........but bigger does not mean higher. And,damn, some of those tires are pure noise pollution like Harleys. You were honest and said 80:20. That should guide you. If you said 20:80, you live on dirt roads and go off roading every week, different answer. The you would be willing to live with the noise.
And no, I'd never drive my DotRs on the street because they look cool....ride quality sucks!
Uh yeah looks are defiantly in the equation. Thanks for your response.
 
Just installed the 275/70 R18 version of these tires.

IMG_8216.webp
 
I’ve decided on toyo open country a/t iii ev 275/65r18, is moving to a 285 gonna look that much better? Will the fuel loss be worth it?

I’m 80/20 highway and light duty two track stuff.
I went with Open Country A/T IIIs, 285/70 r17, ride quality decrease is there, but marginal. Lost about 1.5 mpg(but also removed air dams). I'm about 50/50 though.
 
I went with Open Country A/T IIIs, 285/70 r17, ride quality decrease is there, but marginal. Lost about 1.5 mpg(but also removed air dams). I'm about 50/50 though.
I ripped the air damns off immediately lol
 
One fits in the spare tire well, the other most likely does not.
285/65-18s (if that's what OP is considering) are identical in diameter to OEM, so very few choose it :sneaky:. They do look good imo, and there are some posts on the forum to check out.
 
285/65-18s (if that's what OP is considering) are identical in diameter to OEM, so very few choose it :sneaky:. They do look good imo, and there are some posts on the forum to check out.

That is all well and good. I went with 275/70/18 and an identical spare fits but the extra width does hang down lower in the spare tire location.
 
Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top Bottom