The New Toyota Land Cruiser Engine Options Leaked; No V6 Turbo?!

supersix

Administrator
Staff member
📛 Founding Member
Jul 7, 2023
Vehicles
2014 4runner, 2021 Bronco
According to Drive.com.au, leaked documents allegedly disclose the engine options for the Toyota Prado, which is the Australian name for the upcoming new Land Cruiser.

As per these purported documents, potential buyers can anticipate a choice between three engine configurations.

2TR-FE, a 2.7-liter inline-four. This will not be offered in the U.S. Land Cruiser.​
1GD-FTV -- an inline-four turbo-diesel. In various applications, this engine has seen anywhere from 178 hp and 332 lb-ft of torque to 221 hp and 410 lb-ft. We are unlikely to see this offered in the U.S. Land Cruiser.​
"L4T" T24A-FTS 2.4-liter turbocharged inline-four. This engine has been in production since 2021 will also be used in the new 2024 Tacoma and Grand Highlander. This will be a hybrid application here in the U.S., like it is in the new 2024 Tacoma, which means it has the potential to feature up to 326 hp and 465 lb-ft (as it does in the 2024 Tacoma TRD Pro).​

There is no sign of the 3.3-litre twin-turbo V6 diesel 'F33A-FTV' engine from the LandCruiser 300 Series, or the 3.4-litre twin-turbo V6 petrol 'V35A-FTS' from the new Prado's luxury twin, the Lexus GX550.

Source: 2024 Toyota Prado engine details, release date leaked

I hope Toyota offers the hybrid from the onset, not delaying it as Lexus did. As I mentioned elsewhere, I can see the logic if there is a production constraint, as Lexus customers are less likely to be economy focused.

I would think the Land Cruiser would really eat into the 4Runner sales if they are offered with the same engine. I think you can have a Land Cruiser and a GX550 coexist, but not the other way around.

Back