The "close enough" lie that ruins wheel deals

OwenTurner

New member
Joined
Sep 10, 2026
Messages
3
Reaction score
2
Location
L.A
Vehicles
prado
Sellers love the phrase "should fit your car," but it's the most expensive phrase in the wheel business. A wheel either fits by the numbers, or it doesn't. "Should" is what's left when the seller hasn't checked and hopes you won't either. The bargain that’s "close enough" usually ends up rubbing, shaking, or not clearing the brake. Now, you own a problem you can’t return because you were warned in the vaguest way possible.

The four numbers that end the argument are pattern, bore, offset, and seat type. You can read pattern and bore off the wheel itself or measure them. Offset is stamped on the back. Seat type is the shape of the contact face that the nut meets. A cone-seat nut on a ball-seat wheel looks tight but isn't. That's a different failure than a wrong pattern, but both trace back to skipping the check. The wheel stamped its own truth; the listing just hoped you’d ignore it.

Condition is the other half. A barrel bent from a pothole will balance forever and shake forever because balancing can't unbend metal. I can live with curb rash, but I can’t live with a wobble. The difference is visible if you spin the wheel and actually look at it instead of judging it from a thumbnail photo.

Do the math before the money changes hands, because used wheels are the best value. Skip this step, and you’ve bought a paperweight with a nice finish.
 
Have to like the “no rub” photos in the parking lot.
Lol right — "no rub, see?" at full lock in a level parking lot. The real test is stuffed on a washboard road with three buddies and a cooler in the back. That's when you find out what "should fit" actually meant.
 
I have gone with larger than OEM tires, aftermarket wheels and combinations thereof a number of times over the years and only experienced rub twice. Whether that was due to dumb luck or otherwise, I can't say. I will say many vendors are happy to sell and install wheels and tires, but it is best to do your due diligence first.
 
This sure sounds like a chatGPT written post and is a bit odd for a first post. Additionally, the reason people say "should fit" is because every tire brand, even in the same size is a little different. Nobody's claiming a 5x120 wheel "should" fit a 6x139.7 wheel. But an 18x9 wheel with an offset of 40 should fit with no rubbing, but if you get the widest brand of tire in the same size other guys have had luck with, you might have some rubbing.
 
This sure sounds like a chatGPT written post and is a bit odd for a first post. Additionally, the reason people say "should fit" is because every tire brand, even in the same size is a little different. Nobody's claiming a 5x120 wheel "should" fit a 6x139.7 wheel. But an 18x9 wheel with an offset of 40 should fit with no rubbing, but if you get the widest brand of tire in the same size other guys have had luck with, you might have some rubbing.


^^ first post from OP

I can’t comment on AI or otherwise, as old school is how I roll 😆
 
Yeah, superficial thread. I can make three counter-arguments right off, and my fourth is a correction to the title:

1) We all get annoyed when a wheel/tire shop refuses to put on sizes that exceed a predefined % of original size. Especially when we’ve done our due diligence to verify compatibility. OP’s argument, statement, observation… wait, was it anything???… is in line with those predefined exclusionary numbers that are created to shoehorn all applications into a single decision calculation. I want to buy what I choose to buy. F*** anyone who wishes to decide what I can and can’t have. Unless I want Tigers or something, cause that’s pretty wrong. But a wheel, or a suppressor (oops, wrong thread), yeah get out of my way. I’m responsible for what I buy at the end of the day.
2) Do your own research and homework. Force them to guarantee fitment or accept return. No one is forcing anyone to pay money for wheels/tires. Self control and a bit of healthy caution go a long way. If you can’t advocate for yourself and are above the age of 21 I have no sympathy.
3) You act like being sold products one doesn’t need is antithetical to anything else sold to consumers. Ridiculous.
4) The entire title of this thread is confirmation of my above three comments. Obfuscation doesn’t ruin wheel deals. “Uneducated purchases by ignorant consumers successfully closes unnecessary wheel deals” is more accurate.
 
Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top Bottom