Tacoma Fail on TFL. This is concerning.

I know it's a Tacoma, not a Land Cruiser, but how much of whatever failed here do the 2 have in common?

Mexican made vs. Japanese assembled? Hopefully that's the difference and not parts

I view this video as apples and oranges. It doesn't answer what failed and is an early production model. I think things like this need to happen in order for Toyota (or any manufacturer) to make things right.

It's also the reason why I'm in no rush to purchase.

Its not the I-force Max engine and fulltime 4wd powertrain trim. If this were a Taco Limited Iforce Max model, then you might be able to compare situations to LC.

For the Taco guys I'd certainly want to know the root cause soon.... Is it an engineering design issue, a parts issue, a production/QC issue or an operator "abnormal use" issue? Perhaps it will be a combination of two or more of these??

Anyone have cliff's notes on what happened? I try to avoid giving youtubers clicks for clickbait titles on principle.

Anyone have cliff's notes on what happened? I try to avoid giving youtubers clicks for clickbait titles on principle.
They took it up wheeling in icy conditions, got stuck, something popped and their 4 wheel truck became a two wheel truck. Given the time when it was filmed we are waiting for what failed (at the dealership). They did not abuse the truck.

Yeah i saw this. Eager to hear what went wrong. Definitely does not bode well for my confidence in any of toyotas newest models like the 4R, taco and LC.

I saw that episode. Looks like the front driveshaft snapped!!

Very interesting subject. These guys are crazy. It is no coincidence that they advertise a law firm.

I need to check some "details" and then I will comment.

I’m not always a fan of YouTube, there seems to be far too many of those clickbait videos out there, but these guys seem to do a decent show. So I watched the video today & it didn’t look particularly dramatic. Looking forward to finding out what went wrong because it didn’t look like they were doing anything that should’ve broken it. I could only guess it was just an odd freak thing.

As I do not understand real off-roading in a luxury car, I do not understand climbing rocks on ice either !

That "competition" was more about tires. BFG Trail Terrain are OK but :

"Can You Use the BFGoodrich Trail Terrain To Go Off-Roading?​

BFG designed the Trail Terrain tire to be great for the weekend warrior, daily driver, and any type of application or situation where you'll be doing medium to less aggressive offroading. However, if you do want to do more aggressive offroading, that's where BFG's KO2 comes in - it's great for that.

The BFG Trail Terrain is a fantastic all around tire. It's quiet on the road, great as an OE replacement, and perfect for models from the Subaru Outback to the Highlander and larger SUVs in general, even light pickup trucks."

By definition if a tire is good for "any type of application" it will not be great for icy rocks climbing.

I assume the Colorado tires were simply better for those conditions, and I assume Toyota will check and explain what happened.

IMG_8452.jpeg
Looks like a protection component (a part designed to fail to avoid catastrophic failure) in the front diff’s ADD worked too well. You’re welcome for the 11 minutes of your life back 😜

View attachment 1126Looks like a protection component (a part designed to fail to avoid catastrophic failure) in the front diff’s ADD worked too well. You’re welcome for the 11 minutes of your life back 😜
I appreciate your service so I didn't have the click and watch. :) I hate that the modern way of answering a question is to make a 10 minute video.

Mexican made vs. Japanese assembled? Hopefully that's the difference and not parts
I appreciate your service so I didn't have the click and watch. :) I hate that the modern way of answering a question is to make a 10 minute video.
Agreed about “ hoping to get paid by word” .
I think these two old guys need to be replaced by two much sharper millennials that go off road all the time.
But that is You Tube casting a wide net for eye balls… hopefully clicking on the next similar subject matter.

Back