Sunroofs

traildustLC250

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
I have a Land Cruiser grade coming in and it is everything I wanted except it is coming with the sunroof (much prefer it without). How has past Toyota sunroofs been? Are they prone to leaking? I only worry because all of the sunroofs I have had experience with (15-20 year old Land Rovers) seem to leak and cause electrical issues, rust, and mold. I know there is an age and build quality difference between the two, but just looking to see if people have had problems with leaky sunroofs on newer Toyota vehicles.

Reactions: MJE
Had them on 2007 Sienna and 2014 Highlander... both are fine still. I hope the same will be true for LC.

I think GX 550 you can have a moonroof delete option spec.
I don't think Land Cruiser there's an option like that unless you go 1958 trim.

I personally never had any moonroof related issue, I observe best practices:
  • wash the roof regularly (minimizing dirt that can go into the drain)
  • park indoor (so the rubber seal don't age too fast and let in excessive dirt)
Toyota moonroofs at their worst just gonna have clogged drain tube, that's easy to fix too

I have a Land Cruiser grade coming in and it is everything I wanted except it is coming with the sunroof (much prefer it without). How has past Toyota sunroofs been? Are they prone to leaking? I only worry because all of the sunroofs I have had experience with (15-20 year old Land Rovers) seem to leak and cause electrical issues, rust, and mold. I know there is an age and build quality difference between the two, but just looking to see if people have had problems with leaky sunroofs on newer Toyota vehicles.
I have owned two Land Rovers a 1995 LWB absolute ๐Ÿ‹. 2005 discovery LR3 sunroof and footwell leaked from the tube drain running through the exterior into the interior footwell? That is when I said see later to the Land Rover product and hello to the LC. I have owned three 06, 07, and 11. Love them all never a problem period. Your sunroof will not leak! Enjoy! I have a 2024 FE coming.

I had one on my 1992 FJ80. When I got it the drain tubes were clogged causing a leak. I cleaned those out and never had another problem for the many years I owned it.

Still use moon roof on 99 4Runner. Back window works. Some say auto antennas fail. Mine still works though I seldom play the radio. Audio is not a top feature on Toyota products.

I had 2 sequoias from 2010 through 2022 with sunroofs. No issues at all

I had a 1999 Land Cruiser for 15 years and the moon roof always worked perfectly and Never leaked. Donโ€™t fear the moonroof. Donโ€™t buy the Land Rover!!!

Thanks for asking the question. Iโ€™ve always skipped moon roofs for exactly your concerns, even if unfounded fears in my case. Why tempt fate by cutting a hole in a perfectly good roof? But it seems when you donโ€™t order a car to spec if you want a trim with everything else youโ€™re getting the moonroof whether you value it or not.

My 2005 LC 100 had a sunroof and we never had an issue with it leaking. We had to clean/lubricate the tracks 1-2 times in 20 years, but it never leaked of gave us a problem. Don't fear the sunroof :)

I have a sun roof my 2020 and have opened it once on the first day of ownership. No leaks tho' I too wish the sunroof could be deleted on the FE.

Latest Discussions

Back