So I'm thinking of buying a Land Cruiser

As a retirement gift to myself I'm thinking of buying a Land Cruiser. Mostly as a recreational vehicle - camping, fishing, exploring mountain roads and desert trails.
Easy to moderate off-roading. No rock crawling, jumping, or speeding in the desert at 60 mph. Some around the city driving but not a lot. I have a 2025 Rav4 hybrid for that.

I like Toyota vehicles. I bought a 2003 Tacoma and drove it for 22 years before gifting it to my nephew. It was the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. So far my Rav4 hybrid
is serving me well. My guess is that the Land Cruise will also be very reliable. I hope to keep it for 10 to 12 years. If it holds up then it will be worth the cost. I like that the Land Cruiser
offers luxury along with off-road performance. I also like the hybrid system, even though it doesn't improve on fuel efficiency much. The 120v/2400W ac power outlets will be
great when overlanding and powering ice chests, coffee makers, radios, camp lights, etc.

I already have a couple of mods in mind. I've been following Brad at TrailRecon and his Land Cruiser mods. I'd like to install larger A/T tires (maybe 33") and make some
suspension modifications which will result in greater lift. Of course doing so may void the warranty.

So now my big question...buy new or used? In my youth I only bought used cars. And many came with problems. My last 4 vehicles have been bought new, and that was
a good experience. And new cars come with warranties, and I like that. But if I'm going to make modifications to the suspension, tires, and perhaps other things, then maybe
I'm better off with used. I have 2024 or 2025 in mind.

I welcome your opinions.
Buy new, fully loaded, you wont be sorry.
Plan on new Totoya TRD wheels and a decent tire.
The larger tank upgrade from SLEE, you gonna hate the 18g soccer mom tank.
The stock suspension is excellent for what you describe.
Rip out and throw away the entire back seat assy.
A few other itrmes you may want like the top end dash cam, forged front and rear ecover point upgrades.
You ll figure it out.
Ignore Brad.
 
Sounds like good advice. Especially about the larger gas tank.
The ignore Brad comment made me smile.
 
All the goodies on the loaded version work flawlessly.
The interior is much nicer.
You wont miss stuff when you see it on others.
I suspect these vehicles with this drive train will last a very long time if you take care of it, i do as part of the hobby. @18k miles i like it more than ever.
Do keep in mind the back seat is useless unless your soccer mom oriented, which i doubt.
 
Honestly I think this is one of the few vehicles that makes sense to just buy new. They had a few build quality quirks on the 2024 models and anything newer than that is going to be very close to MSRP even used. Buy new and you get the whole new car experience with very very little downside.
I have had zero build quality problems with my 2024 1958 model. A very solid truck. I have just shy of 30000 miles on it.
 
I have had zero build quality problems with my 2024 1958 model. A very solid truck. I have just shy of 30000 miles on it.
That's great to hear!

I think the 1958's escaped a few of the major ones though you may still have the old style window seals. A lot of sunroof-equipped trucks in 2024 were held at the port while leaking water inside because the sunroof drains were not properly installed.
 
Supporting Vendors View all โ†’
Back
Top Bottom