FirstCruiser

πŸ“› Founding Member
Oct 19, 2023
Leander Texas
Vehicles
Lexus 300h
Good morning forum members, I am from Central Texas, and have owned several Toyota's, small pickup, Corolla, and Camry, and currently in a Lexus 300h, but this will be my first Land Cruiser, for 2024, now that they are a little smaller. So first off let me start by saying how much this forum has helped me out in my final decision for what trim I am looking for. The wisdom and input on this site has been invaluable. Much more insight here than any dealer I has spoken with, for which I am very grateful. Now I know there are a lot of different tastes and opinions out there, and there was a lot of sound reasoning given with every trim level. So, I don't believe you can go wrong with any of the three trim levels.
With that said, I have been following every video and link that I can find since the release date on Aug 1st. I am now so excited about this vehicle, and I started trying to get on dealership list beginning the first week in September, one month after the unveiling in Utah. However, because I decided I would like to have the "First Edition," I knew it would be work, with only 5000 for all of North America. With 1276 Dealers in the US, (as of Sept 2023), and 247 in Canada, (as of Oct 2023) that works out to about 3.3 per dealership, even though we know some will get 1, others 3 to 4, and most probably getting 2. So, to have a shot I surmised that I need to get to a place where I was at least number 3 or better. However, here in Texas, after calling numerous dealerships throughout the State, the best I could do was #8 in the Houston area. My dealerships I was #40 and #18 for the two closest.
So, because I know Toyota has 12 regions, and that I can only purchase within the region I live in, (5 States within the Gulf Coast Region), I began calling and spoke with at least 40 plus dealerships. Now I'm on 5 separate lists where I am #2 or better. There are two list where I am #1, and both dealers have been in contact with me on a regular basis, knowing I'm ready to sign the contract with the first dealer who calls me once they get their allocations. So, again, thank you forum members!
On a side note, almost all dealerships but a few, that i contacted are charging over MSRP, probably around $10,000. I understand this, there's been a lot of discussion on this forum, but it is what it is, and I'm going in eyes wide open. Unfortunately dealers will have the upper hand on this with the 5000 limit out there. But I'm willing to do what it takes to get the "First Edition," which is my preference. I'm hoping everyone gets the vehicle they desire as well; I don't think you can go wrong with any of the trim levels, based on preference. Thank you gentlemen for all your help!

If I have to pay $10K over, which is indeed what my local stealership has quoted me, will forgo a First Edition, and possibly spring for the Lexus GX550. It is sad that Toyota corporate is allowing such a practice, and it definitely demeans their corporate image in my eyes. Check out the GX500 Overtrail!

Wow I I'm afraid Toyota can not limit the margins. Regarding the 40+ dealerships it is amazing. @FirstCruiser you make us better understand the meaning of "time and money" !
Love your story. I studied for 18 months.... all SUVs, 4WD systems, engines and features before purchasing my Landcruiser 120 back in 2007.

Welcome to the forum @FirstCruiser! I'm in Cedar Park. Did you have any luck with the new Toyota dealership in Leander? I haven't purchased a vehicle from them, but we take our 4runner there for service. They have always been great. Good luck on the First Edition! Hopefully all that work trying to locate one pays off!

From what I'm aware, here in Canada it's not legal for dealers to sell above MSRP. 🀞

I'm #1 at my local dealer. I guess I'll decide at the time which trim to get (if First Edition is even available), however I prefer the rectangular headlights, so am leaning towards the Land Cruiser trim level with the Premium package, which apparently will get you real leather, JBL (a must for me), and a sunroof. Good luck to you!

EDIT: For anyone in Canada, I have double checked, and there is no law preventing dealership markups over MSRP (but must be advertised as such in several provinces):

Last edited:
Reactions: MJE
Welcome to the forum @FirstCruiser! I'm in Cedar Park. Did you have any luck with the new Toyota dealership in Leander? I haven't purchased a vehicle from them, but we take our 4runner there for service. They have always been great. Good luck on the First Edition! Hopefully all that work trying to locate one pays off!
The people at the Toyota dealership in Leander/Cedar Park are great. They are one of the few not charging over MSRP. However, they told me that could change. It's also where I was #40 on the list and you have to give a $1000 deposit, which is strange because there is no way they are getting that many Land Cruisers. And I was #40 in the first week of Sept, so I don't know how big the list is now, or if they finally stopped taking deposits. I got my deposit back after researching and making so many phone calls to other dealers in the Gulf Coast Region. (1 of 12 Toyota Regions) Yesterday, I got another call and I'm #1 on another list out of Mississippi, who said they were going to call me first when they get their allocations. So I'm feeling pretty good about getting a First Edition. Thanks for your reply and kind words!

It looks like US will become the main market for the "small" Landcruiser. I am very excited to see how Toyota will cope with such demand and if Tesla could do better with the Cybertruck. For 2024 which one will deliver more in US ? Both cars are amazing.

Back