New forum member here

Kevin

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Oct 24, 2023
Minnesota, USA
Hello! While I've never owned a Land Cruiser, the incoming model is exactly the type of SUV that I'm looking for. I'm only interested in the base 1958 model.

I have a question for the group here: Ideally, I would like to replace my current aging SUV in 18-24 months. When would be the right time to get on an allocation list? I would prefer to wait until pricing details are released, but I don't know if that is right around the corner or months away. I have a high-volume Toyota dealer just a few miles away from me that is good about selling at MSRP.

Kevin

Welcome Kevin!

My timeframe is similar to yours, however I'm not confident about my ability to get the trim/color/options I want from my local dealer. We can only guess at the right answer to your question. I would recommend watching here to see how the production allocation flows out to customers.

Welcome aboard Kevin! Just be aware the 1958 trim level will be very spartan, and I suspect not all that quiet on the highway. However, if the primary intended use will be off-roading, then it would be ideal in my estimation.

Just be aware the 1958 trim level will be very spartan, and I suspect not all that quiet on the highway.

To me, the 1958 trim seems to be pretty well equipped for a base model and has the features that I care about (heated seats and CarPlay). I would rather have a lower sticker price than features like leather seats. Also, I really like those round headlights. Highway noise might be a problem, but that is mostly a function of tires you are running which can always be swapped out.

To me, the 1958 trim seems to be pretty well equipped for a base model and has the features that I care about (heated seats and CarPlay). I would rather have a lower sticker price than features like leather seats. Also, I really like those round headlights. Highway noise might be a problem, but that is mostly a function of tires you are running which can always be swapped out.
Au contraire. I think road noise is the result of decontenting, e.g. reduced door/floor insulation in an effort to reduce costs/maintain profits. My 99 4Runner is quieter than my 2011 Trail (gone now) and my 2020 ORP. Stock tires on 4Runners are P rated to improve mileage and reduce costs and reduce road noise.

Welcome to the forum, Kevin.

Agreed re leather seats, would rather not have them, i e. the upkeep, especially here in a dry climate.

Agreed re leather seats, would rather not have them, i e. the upkeep, especially here in a dry climate.
Unless you have a German Shepherd Dog that is constantly shedding. Then the Softex seats clean up nicely with a wet faux chamois. Even with a rear seat cover the fur abounds.

Unless you have a German Shepherd Dog that is constantly shedding. Then the Softex seats clean up nicely with a wet faux chamois. Even with a rear seat cover the fur abounds.
100% in favor of Softex! The best of all worlds...

It appears the Land Cruiser trim comes with softex seats and the premium package adds leather seats and a moonroof from all the Youtube videos I've watched.. I prefer softex over leather as well but those perferations will be full of dust after one summer on the roads I drive.

Au contraire. I think road noise is the result of decontenting, e.g. reduced door/floor insulation in an effort to reduce costs/maintain profits. My 99 4Runner is quieter than my 2011 Trail (gone now) and my 2020 ORP. Stock tires on 4Runners are P rated to improve mileage and reduce costs and reduce road noise.

Welcome to the forum, Kevin.
Ahh, I hope Toyota doesn't go that far with the 1958 trim and reduce insulation for cost reduction. Differences at that level will add cost to manage multiple production configurations.

Welcome to the '24 Land Cruiser waiting party @Kevin ๐Ÿป I think you have plenty of time to get in line if your time frame of buying is 18-24 months, but it's hard to say right now.

I'm another fan of the Softex seats. We have them in our 10 year old 4runner and they still look great.

softex rules ! Noise in a Landcruiser ? Don't worry. You may get some at high speed but this is because of the size.

softex rules ! Noise in a Landcruiser ? Don't worry. You may get some at high speed but this is because of the size.

Just test drive a Bronco or Wrangler before driving the Land Cruiser and I'm sure it will seem quiet. :ROFLMAO:

Welcome to the '24 Land Cruiser waiting party @Kevin ๐Ÿป I think you have plenty of time to get in line if your time frame of buying is 18-24 months, but it's hard to say right now.

I'm another fan of the Softex seats. We have them in our 10 year old 4runner and they still look great.
I had Storm Cloth in my 2011 Trail-impossible to remove dog fur. Upgraded to Katzskins leather seats-very nice. Softex in my 2020 is a great improvement. No need for semi-annual leather treatments.

Fair enough, I see your point. I could tolerate some noise, but Bronco or Wrangler noise levels would be a deal breaker. I recently spent a few hours in a Wrangler yelling with the other passengers, it was comically loud on the highway. We might have to wait a few months for some reviews to answer that question on the 1958 model LC.

Ahh, I hope Toyota doesn't go that far with the 1958 trim and reduce insulation for cost reduction. Differences at that level will add cost to manage multiple production configurations.
I have seen posts on the 4Runner Forum where people had projects to sound proof doors/floors on 5th Gens at some expense. I think my 1999 SR5 had the extra insulation installed at the factory-not sure. I know I paid $30K for it in 99 with MSRP of $32K. I got my 2020 ORP for $42K in 2019. That's not much markup over 20 years so I assume decontenting is taking place.

I always figured the difference between Lexus and Toyota was the little extras Lexus added along with some customer coddling.

I also like to think Lexus and Toyota are not driven by bean counters and more by engineers with profit still an objective. As usual I may be wrong no matter how much I enjoy it.

Fair enough, I see your point. I could tolerate some noise, but Bronco or Wrangler noise levels would be a deal breaker. I recently spent a few hours in a Wrangler yelling with the other passengers, it was comically loud on the highway. We might have to wait a few months for some reviews to answer that question on the 1958 model LC.
I'm with you. Anything you can take apart is liable to be a bit noisy on the highway.

I am also curious to see if the windshield is a bug magnet. It looks as though it may be. I do like what appears to be higher (taller) windows all around vs the 5th Gen. 4Runner. That improves visibility.

Sorry, I made a mistake ๐Ÿค• I thought Softex is the standard on 1958.

Please have a look:

On my 16 years old Landcruiser the standard fabric seats are in perfect shape. I would never consider my LC120 spartan and 1958 had so many more features.

It appears the Land Cruiser trim comes with softex seats and the premium package adds leather seats and a moonroof from all the Youtube videos I've watched.. I prefer softex over leather as well but those perferations will be full of dust after one summer on the roads I drive.
This is exactly my concern.

Back