Need tire advice

Looking to get new tires on my 25 1958, Stock 245/70r18 have worn out at 24k. I am only looking at stock 245/70 18 replacement, please no other replies on different sizes. Any one running 245/70 18 KO 3 , please let me know how much fuel mileage went down and the noise at highway speeds, plus do you feel more road imperfections difference from the stock tires. Also anyone on the second set of Yokohama 245/70r 18 ? Just wondering if they are lasting longer than the OEM tires ?
Mine came stock with 265/70R18 in the first edition. That is OEM for First Edition tires.
 
Mine came stock with 265/70R18 in the first edition. That is OEM for First Edition tires.
The 1958 does not have the extra 1” fender flairs as the higher trims do, So Iam not concerned with 255 or 265 rubbing but I am concerned with the tires sticking out of the fenders causing noise and rocks to be kicked up.
 
The 1958 does not have the extra 1” fender flairs as the higher trims do, So Iam not concerned with 255 or 265 rubbing but I am concerned with the tires sticking out of the fenders causing noise and rocks to be kicked up.

A great place to look at the difference in tire size and choices is here. Even in the same size manufactures can vary slightly. This will also give you an idea of what to expect if going from a 245 to a 255 or 265.





IMG_1430.webp
 
Last edited:
The 1958 does not have the extra 1” fender flairs as the higher trims do, So Iam not concerned with 255 or 265 rubbing but I am concerned with the tires sticking out of the fenders causing noise and rocks to be kicked up.
If you're on stock wheels, you don't need to worry. The factory offsets are pretty conservative so even with a 255 or 265 tire, you'll still be within the wheel wells.
 
Looking at 245 75 r18 sl and 255 70 r18 sl rated tires. anyone running these that could comment ?
EDIT: I must have misread the post-I chose to go from stock 245/70R18s (39 lbs.) to 275/70R18 (40-43.7 lbs.). I wanted a little lift but not too much weight.


For so many people, that size and rating make sense. Here is what I considered:

Pirelli Scorpion XTM AT
Nitto Terra grappler G3 outdoor video
Gen Grabber ATX
Toyo Open Country AT3 EV

Based on internet/YouTube "experts" I think the first two would be the best all round use tires. My in house advisor liked the General and my tire 'guy' liked the fact that they have been around for years and there are no issues with the General's-which I bought. No complaints. Some additional road noise compared to the street yokos that came on my 1958 but not obtrusive. The Pirelli and Nittos have strong 'influencer' recommendations. To sum up, all four would likely do a good job and be of reasonable weight.

As for MPG's are concerned, I suspect I have lost between 1/2 and 1 mpg as I changed from stock Yoko 245/70R18 to Gen. 275/70R18. It is not quite an inch 'lift'.
 
Last edited:
The 1958 does not have the extra 1” fender flairs as the higher trims do, So Iam not concerned with 255 or 265 rubbing but I am concerned with the tires sticking out of the fenders causing noise and rocks to be kicked up.
You won’t poke on 265s on that 70mm 1958 wheel offset. Many 1958s rolling around with 265/65 port-added Nittos. I was one of them. You also won’t poke with a 275, but the clearance between sidewall and front upper suspension gets close on +70mm offset.

Pic is of my 265 Nittos at port before any upgrading:

IMG_4939.webp
 
Last edited:
You won’t poke on 265s on that 70mm 1958 wheel offset. Many 1958s rolling around with 265/65 port-added Nittos. I was one of them. You also won’t poke with a 275, but the clearance between sidewall and front upper suspension gets close on +70mm offset.

Pic is of my 265 Nittos at port before any upgrading:

View attachment 70600
Did you order the Toyota factory wheel package when you bought the vehicle ? The offset on these bring the wheels in so the tires do not protrude.. They are 18x8 wheels
 
Did you order the Toyota factory wheel package when you bought the vehicle ? The offset on these bring the wheels in so the tires do not protrude.. They are 18x8 wheels
I had a lengthy nerd out, but deleted in favor of a simpler response. No, I was ignorant to you having the +45mm offset TRD wheel upgrade not offered when I bought mine. I can long form the math here, but it boils down to mine being a 285 on +47.5 offset w/ ~ 13mm of poke. Converted for a 265 on +45mm and you’d be looking at ~ 5.5mm of poke measured to the lower lip of the arch top of your fender.

I agree with your concern and will be likely sourcing some LC trim fenders for mine. A 255 will produce only 0.5mm of poke for you, which is nothing.
 
I had a lengthy nerd out, but deleted in favor of a simpler response. No, I was ignorant to you having the +45mm offset TRD wheel upgrade not offered when I bought mine. I can long form the math here, but it boils down to mine being a 285 on +47.5 offset w/ ~ 13mm of poke. Converted for a 265 on +45mm and you’d be looking at ~ 5.5mm of poke measured to the lower lip of the arch top of your fender.

I agree with your concern and will be likely sourcing some LC trim fenders for mine. A 255 will produce only 0.5mm of poke for you, which is nothing.
Thanks,

I may get a new set of Geolander takeoffs on Market place for hundred bucks for all 4, Then I can wait this out a little longer,
 
Thanks,

I may get a new set of Geolander takeoffs on Market place for hundred bucks for all 4, Then I can wait this out a little longer,
No I have the standard factory wheels and tires, I thought you may have had the upgraded wheel package but it sounds like you did not
 
No I have the standard factory wheels and tires, I thought you may have had the upgraded wheel package but it sounds like you did not
Nope, that picture is standard 1958 wheels w/ 265 tires… you have absolutely zero risk of poke at the OEM 265/70 size on your +70mm 1958 wheels. Those 245s are Toyotas attempt to dilute their overall EPA reporting. Your 1958 is calibrated to 32.6” diameter tires just like LC trims, meaning you are currently over-reporting your speed, mileage and mpgs. I can’t fault you for wanting to keep with OEM size, but there is plenty of upside to getting your tires up to the 265/70 size.
 
@Mopper you gotta tell me why you laughed at me. I’ve been sippin on some of Kentucky’s finest just waiting on you to call me out outside of an ambiguous reaction emoji. I’ve got feelings too ya know! πŸ˜‚
 
@Mopper you gotta tell me why you laughed at me. I’ve been sippin on some of Kentucky’s finest just waiting on you to call me out outside of an ambiguous reaction emoji. I’ve got feelings too ya know! πŸ˜‚
Dub-

The first line of your message (below) cracked me up because I thought I was somewhat unique in taking 15 minutes to inject detail into a message only to decide that it was TL or tangential or plain old wrong and delete. I always felt I should point it out too... I guess I was laughing at you AND me! Perfect phrasing by you though

A raised proverbial glass to you, sir:

Dub. Always with respect and with an honest smile.

- Mop

I had a lengthy nerd out, but deleted in favor of a simpler response. No, I was ignorant to you having the +45mm offset TRD wheel upgrade not offered when I bought mine. I can long form the math here, but it boils down to mine being a 285 on +47.5 offset w/ ~ 13mm of poke. Converted for a 265 on +45mm and you’d be looking at ~ 5.5mm of poke measured to the lower lip of the arch top of your fender.

I agree with your concern and will be likely sourcing some LC trim fenders for mine. A 255 will produce only 0.5mm of poke for you, which is nothing.
 
A raised proverbial glass to you, sir:

Dub. Always with respect and with an honest smile.

- Mop
Right back at ya buddy. Blanton’s is apparently synonymous with introspection haha.
 
Right back at ya buddy. Blanton’s is apparently synonymous with introspection haha.
Interesting. Blanton's was a traditional post logging refreshment with CO buddies- that little horsey figure on top always went into the fire immediately signifying that this bottle's contents would not see mornings' light
 
Interesting. Blanton's was a traditional post logging refreshment with CO buddies- that little horsey figure on top always went into the fire immediately signifying that this bottle's contents would not see mornings' light
Yeah, I’ve collected quite a few bottles from buddies and during my annual trips to Yokosuka and Okinawa. With 10 fulls on the shelf, and 1 pour bottle on the counter, it has become my β€œdaily” pour, which blows my bourbon friends’ minds.
 
Nice! It wasn't hard to get or expensive until it was. In a related thought, I also don't consider logging at altitude entertainment any longer.
 
I had a lengthy nerd out, but deleted in favor of a simpler response. No, I was ignorant to you having the +45mm offset TRD wheel upgrade not offered when I bought mine. I can long form the math here, but it boils down to mine being a 285 on +47.5 offset w/ ~ 13mm of poke. Converted for a 265 on +45mm and you’d be looking at ~ 5.5mm of poke measured to the lower lip of the arch top of your fender.

I agree with your concern and will be likely sourcing some LC trim fenders for mine. A 255 will produce only 0.5mm of poke for you, which is nothing.
I put the LC Trim flares on my 1958. I have a +25 offset 17x8.5 wheel and 285-70-17 KO3 tires. That little bit of extra maybe a 1/4 inch made big difference in what goes into the side of the LC. Rear mud flaps need a slight modification that’s really nothing but a new hole. Front fit just fine and nothing noticeable once they were on for about a week. I had read that the mud flaps don’t work….they will.

FYI: Be sure to use a trim removal tool when taking off the flares. All these videos of people just pulling them off is taking a chance on breaking one of the fragile flare tabs.
 
Last edited:
Supporting Vendors View all β†’
Air Down Gear
Back
Top Bottom