Looking for ideas on how to make my street number more visible at dark...

El Chorizo

Administrator
Staff member
๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Jul 7, 2023
Austin, TX
Not the place to ask I guess but this community already seems super helpful, even on unrelated stuff. So, I have low voltage lights in the front yard and even facing the street number. But since the numbers are recessed the light doesn't hit it and no one can seem to find the numbers.

I thought maybe some glow in the dark paint that charges from sunlight might work. Or some type of led strip that charges via solar. Not sure.

Here's an image to give you an idea. Any suggestions?

ecfd998d-9e72-4389-9ba0-8ab7dc2218df - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• f0bdae73-0686-4746-9255-e2cfef1c9d83 - Copy.jpg
    f0bdae73-0686-4746-9255-e2cfef1c9d83 - Copy.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 3,187
Oddly enough, I am having larger sconce lights installed as well on my brick facia over the address stone inset like yours. The sconces will sit just above the address and be equal height across the 3 garage stalls.

We live in a villa basically in a forest where all of the villas are very similar in design. The trees make it very dark and spooky. At night, I can barely find my own place, so the well-lit address is necessary.

I have the low voltage all around the outside of the house as well, basically for evening aesthetics. However, they do not effectively light anything very well--which is their intended purpose.

Look into adding sconces. Plus they look sharp if they are oversized.

• Admin
Oddly enough, I am having larger sconce lights installed as well on my brick facia over the address stone inset like yours. The sconces will sit just above the address and be equal height across the 3 garage stalls.

We live in a villa basically in a forest where all of the villas are very similar in design. The trees make it very dark and spooky. At night, I can barely find my own place, so the well-lit address is necessary.

I have the low voltage all around the outside of the house as well, basically for evening aesthetics. However, they do not effectively light anything very well--which is their intended purpose.

Look into adding sconces. Plus they look sharp if they are oversized.
Post some pictures up once you get it done. Are they going to be low voltage powered lights or will they have a cable running to them? I'm worried about the eye sore the cable will cause if I go that route. I also worry that the solar ones are ugly and usually go bad...

Well this is right up my alley of expertise. The problem is the projection, shadows, angles of alignment.
First option is to raise the light source up to a height where it hits the numbers without shadows. You can simulate this with a flashlight at night, start shining the light exactly horizontal with the numbers and move down until the shadows appear. moving the light further away may also help or buy a projector type low volt landscape fixture.
Another option is something like this. (just an example). get a piece of diamond plate aluminum sized large enough to cover the entire existing recessed numbers, then put these type black number onto the diamond plate. Amazon.com

• Admin
Well this is right up my alley of expertise. The problem is the projection, shadows, angles of alignment.
First option is to raise the light source up to a height where it hits the numbers without shadows. You can simulate this with a flashlight at night, start shining the light exactly horizontal with the numbers and move down until the shadows appear. moving the light further away may also help or buy a projector type low volt landscape fixture.
Another option is something like this. (just an example). get a piece of diamond plate aluminum sized large enough to cover the entire existing recessed numbers, then put these type black number onto the diamond plate. Amazon.com

Hrmm, raising the light might be possible. The other method I'm not sure about. I hate drilling into my house!

How about one of those neon "Sorry, we're open" bar signs? This is the place to ask...

Moving the light further away would help and raising the light while moving away would be optimal.

Latest Discussions

Back