Interior Debate: 2024 Land Cruiser vs GX550

supersix

Administrator
Staff member
📛 Founding Member
Jul 7, 2023
Vehicles
2014 4runner, 2021 Bronco
The more time I spend checking out the Land Cruiser's interior, the more I find myself preferring it over the GX550. I'm really drawn to its retro features, like the circular side air vents and the physical buttons for climate control, defrosters, and ac & heated seats. The one element that seems off though, is the volume knob.

2024_Toyota_Land_Cruiser_Interior.jpg

2024 Land Cruiser Interior

2024_Lexus_GX_Premium_Interior.jpg

2024 Lexus GX550 Interior

Last edited:
Agreed, I prefer the circular air vents to their crazy shape on the GX. However, I like the larger, closer to rectangular, screen in the GX. Are the driver displays the same size? Good point regarding the physical buttons...

Update! The GX and LC screen (except on the 1958 trim) are the same size, 12.3" diagonally. The GX must look larger as a result of the controls area below...

Last edited:
Interesting how the same car can really have such a different look & feel apparently from the pics, with a different dash. I’m looking forward to checking both out in person.

Having the opportunity to sit in the GX550 there wasn't much to hate. Along with the layout it felt cozier than my 2015 GX. The seats felt more secure.

Reactions: MJE
  • Admin
So the volume knob on the Prado is located in the center. I sure hope Toyota reconsiders the location on the Land Cruiser before the actual release!

2024-toyota-prado.png

Agree on the volume knob. Definitely looks like an after-thought (or was assigned to a 1st year intern to implement)...
Actually, not crazy about the entire controls area design, and how it protrudes beyond the screen. Absolutely subjective, but I prefer the GX550 in this regard. I also feel touch controls will be less likely to fail, albeit possibly not as user friendly, especially when bouncing around off-road.

That volume knob is almost a distraction it was intended to mitigate. The volume knob location likely came from ergonomics engineering to mitigate driver distractions. Somebody apparently has some data showing we are more distractible than the rest of the global Land Cruiser market.

I agree that the LC interior speaks to me more than the GX. I have always thought the Lexus interiors were 'trying too hard' to look expensive and it ends up looking gimmicky. I highly prefer a refined but classic layout like in the LC.

Can anyone confirm the width of these two vehicles are the same? My initial impression was the GX 550 is wider. It appears the body width is around 78 inches.

I passed a full size truck hauling a camper on an older steel bridge in western Washington last week, and I never (ever) remember getting so close to a mass that size moving so fast in the opposite direction.

Can anyone confirm the width of these two vehicles are the same? My initial impression was the GX 550 is wider. It appears the body width is around 78 inches.

I passed a full size truck hauling a camper on an older steel bridge in western Washington last week, and I never (ever) remember getting so close to a mass that size moving so fast in the opposite direction.

According to the Lexus GX 550 press release, the overall width of the GX550 (+ mirrors) is 83.22 in

lexus-gx-550-specs.png

The Toyota press release has the overall width of the Land Cruiser at 84.2"

2024-land-cruiser-specs.png

According to the Lexus GX 550 press release, the overall width of the GX550 (+ mirrors) is 83.22 in

View attachment 369

The Toyota press release has the overall width of the Land Cruiser at 84.2"

View attachment 370
Thanks. It looks like the GX 550 could fit in my garage after all. I'm super happy Toyota reduced the width of these models.

I’m most interested in having a moon roof, I don’t think the 1958 has that as an option. Looking forward to this ride~ looks amazing!

Last edited:
It may cost over 10k to get the moon roof. Where I am, for the existing LC150 you need the top trim for the moon roof. It means 17K over the base trim.

I do not think many Lexus customers will switch to LC250.

Back